Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old September 18th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

More files:

Shade of Bleakwood 1 (matte)
Blade Grut 1 (matte)
Blade Grut 2 (matte)
Phantom Knight 1 (matte)
Old September 18th, 2019, 06:12 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Understood! Thank you, WK. I'll get in contact with the TS creators again.
Old September 18th, 2019, 10:06 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@White Knight , Ive been printing your files ever since I could and they are remarkably better. Im going to share a painting trick Ive figured out that works really well to get paint jobs done quick and look great. I have a pretty decent array of colors now but I base prime all my minis in the color that they have that is dominant in rustoleum spray paint. For 3d prints it helps with lines and puts down a sweet first coat. Especially skin on human type models. I use a smokey beige from rustoleum. It has upped my painting game tremendously. Second has to do with the wash. Especially with 3d prints. If you use a oil based shader like army painters quickshade I use a qtip with mineral spirits to go over it afterwards wiping off the highlight areas. I then have the highlights done just by doing that. No need to put highlights in. Same technique with an acrylic wash but no need for mineral spirits, just water. @Flash_19 . Dont thank me yet. You will be cussing my name once you start pulling supports from some of the models . You will have a higher appreciation for the finished product after. White knight thanks again for this thread. I have generally used it to help out my fellow Utah scapers in the form of prizes etc. I know they all appreciate it.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 18th, 2019, 10:38 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

@TREX , I'll have to try a primer. The acrylic paints stick well, so I didn't think it would be useful. Does it help avoid coats? Because the one issue I have with the cheap acrylics is that many of the colors require two or three coats.

Do you use an oil based shader on top of acrylic paints?

I've been having a hard time getting the wash right. If I use black, the figures just look dirty and splotchy after it dries. So I've been using a brown wash, which usually works better and look more natural. But I don't know how much to mix to get it right.

The only highlighting I've done is on the Shades of Bleakwood. I enjoy painting for a while, but not when I'm doing 31 dwarves (I painted a few squad of non-matte ones as well). So I cut a few corners.
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:21 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@White Knight . Oil based shaders are just fine on top of acrylic. I use the same types of paint as you do from walmart. If Im priming a green orc green I dont have to paint his skin, etc. I just block paint the clothes, armor, etc. It can reduce the amount of work done with a brush. The biggest thing with those paints is the low pigment amount in the lighter colors such as yellow, orange, white, etc. If theres alot of white on the model I prime white. Home made acrylic washes are tricky. If not mixed right they make the model look dirty. The army painters quickshade is made for miniatures. Miniwax polyshades works as well but needs thinned a bit with mineral spirits but works fine. When washing the entire model it does dull it down. Thats why I use the wipe method on the raised parts. My painted miniature count easily exceeds 1300 miniatures as I have almost 1100 of those still in my possession. With these latest tricks Ive been really pounding them out with great results. Its made me really consider an airbrush to be added to my painting arsenal. I still have almost 2000 more minis to paint not counting any new 3d prints.

Old September 19th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

It is just regular paint in a can not miniature paint in a little bottle?
Old September 19th, 2019, 09:58 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
It is just regular paint in a can not miniature paint in a little bottle?
Ive been priming my miniatures lately with different colored rustoleum spray paint. The idea is to prime it in the dominant color on the model. Light green for lizard men or medium green for some orcs. Smokey beige for pale humanoids, etc. If you get it close enough you dont really have to paint that part any further. Like the skin tone. Thwn I use simple apple barrel paints to block paint the details, such as the clothes or armor/weapons. Sometimes Ill do a little drybrushing but lately I havent needed to on the smaller models. After I put on a wash or use a shader such as army painters quickshade. After the wash or shader I wipe the raised edges back off with a q tip. I use mineral spirits on the q tip when using oil based shaders. Just a wet q tip for acrylic washes. When wiping the raised edges it gives a sort of highlight back to the model because it takes some of the shader of in those areas. The results are pretty nice for minimum effort and look just as good as models I painted years ago that I took a lot of time doing.
I want to stress very much that you dont prime with cheap spray paint. The coverage is generally bad which makes you want to apply more. Which isnt very good, it will ruin the details of the model. When Im not so dang busy Id like to post all the figures Ive painted. Especially with he new technique. I will say one paint that I shucked out a couple extra bucks for is my citadels Blood for the Blood God. That technical paint is awesome. It looks just like blood.

Old September 19th, 2019, 12:20 PM

@TREX ,

So my takeaway and questions:
1) Use rustoleum spray paint (not a cheap spray paint) to prime in the dominant color or skin color. Should I use flat protective enamel? Gloss protective enamel?

2) Use army painters quickshade or Miniwax polyshades (thinned) as a wash. Is there a particular color I should use? Soft tone or strong tone? Quickshade comes in different tones. Miniwax comes in lots of colors. Do you need a lot of fluid per mini, or do the smallest sizes go a long way?

Note: After painting I spray everything with Krylon 11-Ounce Low Odor Clear Matte Finish Aerosol Spray.
Old September 19th, 2019, 01:20 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
@TREX ,

So my takeaway and questions:
1) Use rustoleum spray paint (not a cheap spray paint) to prime in the dominant color or skin color. Should I use flat protective enamel? Gloss protective enamel?

2) Use army painters quickshade or Miniwax polyshades (thinned) as a wash. Is there a particular color I should use? Soft tone or strong tone? Quickshade comes in different tones. Miniwax comes in lots of colors. Do you need a lot of fluid per mini, or do the smallest sizes go a long way?

Note: After painting I spray everything with Krylon 11-Ounce Low Odor Clear Matte Finish Aerosol Spray.
Yes. I use rustoleum matte varnish spray to seal and dull the minis as the final step. Technically the quickshade or miniwax seals the acrylic beneath it but leaves a sheen. That stuff takes awhile to cure. Generally the next day you can matte varnish. I like to use the strong tone quickshade. If you want a brown wash in the polyshade there is an antique walnut and if you want a darker color of that, mission oak, I think is the name of the one that resembles strong tone. I brush it on using a cheap brush. Clean up any pooling, then use the wipe method on the raised edges for highlights. I use a qtip to lightly wipe it off. If you dont wipe it, it will give it a dirtier look and darken all of the model. Figures like zombies dont look bad fully shaded but helps with the contrast if they are lightly wiped on the raised edges. Price wise the polyshades is alot cheaper than the quickshade but I went ahead and got 1 can of strong tone and one can of antique walnut polyshades. I have the option of brown or darker shader. I wouldnt use the brown on white though. If brushed on it lasts quite awhile. The can of quickshade will easily last for hundreds of models.

Old September 19th, 2019, 04:15 PM

Thanks @TREX !

Some new models:

Blade Grut 3 (matte)
Phantom Knight 2 (matte)
Valguard (matte)
Deathstalker 1 (matte)
Deathstalker 2 (matte)
Deathstalker 3 (matte)
Old September 20th, 2019, 10:27 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

@TREX - wiping off the wash to create highlights is a cool tip!
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Just picked up some Apple Barrel paints. Those are cheap, thanks.
Just need to get some primer now.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing