Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: Spreading the Christmas cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Humbled.

Sadly, my rep cannon is Ebenezer Scrooge before the ghostly visits.
I didn't do this or post it for rep...I posted it to help inspire others that random acts of kindness no matter how small are possible for anyone to do...
I know. But rep is to be given for the content of posts. If any post I've read deserves +rep, it's this one.

Thank you for sharing this and thank you for caring about others enough to do all that you did for Willie!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM

Billtrumpet25 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Happy Winter Solstice everyone.

The knowledge that the days are getting longer from here on out is always a good boost, I find, despite knowing that the worst of the snow is still to come.

[Astronomers: wait until tomorrow to read this.]
Hee hee...no snow in the Phoenix area.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:34 PM

Billtrumpet25 is surprisingly tart

Merry Christmas everyone!

Usually around Christmas time, I participate in a Madrigal dinner (argh...tights) and organize a brass quintet. I arrange the music, and we play outside a store/school/etc. Any money we make goes to a charity or community member in need.

I visit family on Christmas Eve (and even before if the schedule allows), and I recuperate on Christmas Day.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Wonderful act of kindness by you and your wife Onacara.
Truly the spirit runs through you... peace

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:43 AM

Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
On the main road leading up to BJs near my house there is a homeless man (probably in his 60's) who has been there for years. He is a nice man always smiling and waving to cars passing by with his long gray beard. The sign he holds reads "If you can help me, God Bless You. If you can't, God Bless You."
My wife and I brought him food the day after Thanksgiving...it was my first interaction with him. He was very well spoken, didn't smell of liquor and was extremely grateful for our small gesture of kindness.
Today as I drove past him again, still holding that same sign, he smiled and waved like he always does..and I waved back. A mile or so up the road I stopped to get myself a coffee and it was then I realized there was something different about him...he wasn't wearing his usual drab green parka but just a ratty sweatshirt. I bought an extra coffee and some doughnuts and went back to where he was standing.
As I got out of the car he greeted me with a "Merry Christmas!". I handed him the coffee and doughnuts and asked him where his coat was.
He told me he had gone to the shelter one night where he met another homeless man who was a Vietnam war veteran and gave his coat to the other man because he didn't have one. He told me that it was ok because he could get one from the Goodwill up the road once he had some more money. I was shocked. I reached in my pocket to give him some money but he wouldn't take it, saying the coffee and doughnuts were more than generous and that I should use the money to get something for my children. I tried to reason with him but he wouldn't hear it. So I got back in my car and drove home...still astounded by what this man who has so little did.
When I got home I remembered I had to go hide the gifts my wife and I had bought over the weekend in the trunk of my car. As I opened the trunk I saw a large black garbage bag that my mother had given me last time I was down to see her that I completely forgot about. The bag was filled with clothes that belonged to my father that he had never worn before he passed away and she thought I could wear them. Among the shirts and pants there was a brand new winter coat and a pair of fleece lined boots. I closed the trunk and sped back to where "Willie" was standing.
He protested as I got out of the car with the bag of clothes slung over my back...but then I told him that these were not from me...but from my father. We talked for a few more minutes about my father and we both got emotional. I told "Willie" to take whatever money he gets over the next few days and to make sure he eats and stays warm. He thanked me again..blessed me and sent me on my way.
As I drove away, I saw in my rear view mirror, "Willie" drop to his knees and pray.
Beautiful, beautiful story! Makes feel like there is some hope left in humanity.

That vagrant is a better man than I could ever hope to be....

"People of Gotham! Take control.... take control of your city! THIS.... this is the instrument, of your liberation...."
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Onacara, I've read the many posts of your updates with "Willie" and I must say your actions are quite inspirational. You are a good person and kudos for your wife working on "Willie" to go see his family. Please remember to update us on "Willie" after Christmas if you can... I'd love to know if he stayed with his family.

As for me, every year my fiance and I go to our local mall in which they have a Christmas "giving" tree with ornaments. You pick an ornament from the tree which belong to a child's Christmas list. We end up buying stuff from the list to give to the child. Also, I decided to help out a fellow scaper from here. I'm not stating this as a means of self-gratification or for a pat on the back, but more so if the person is reading this, so the person knows I did it because I cared to want to help in a time of need and because I find most of the people on this site are good people worth helping.

On a side note, I was on the receiving end of a caring deed. Yesterday, I went to my routine shop near my work in the morning to grab a coffee and a croissant. Waiting in line, I saw the woman behind me holding a bunch of stuff in her arms. I felt bad, so when it was my turn to pay up, I told the cashier to tend to her first. The woman was grateful and thanked me. As the cashier was scanning her merchandise, the woman said to the cashier, "I would like to pay for his stuff also." I told her she didn't have to do that, but she insisted. So I thanked her and she wished me a merry Christmas as I did to her.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Willie got the train this morning...clean shaven and looking quite dapper. He was extremely nervous and seemed to be having second thoughts. I knew this would happen so I was prepared with even bigger guns today...my 10 year old daughter. She told him about how seeing their grandpa would be the best gift they could ever get and how she wished that she could see hers again even if it was just one day. A single tear rolled down his cheek and a huge smile came to his face. He patted her on the head and blessed her and then turned to me and extended his hand. As I shook it and wished him a Merry Christmas he said..."You have been so nice to me and I can never repay you for this but I want you to have something." He reached into his pocket and handed me a small coin. On one side it says "Watch over me" and the other has the image of an angel. He looked back at me and said "I don't need it any more...I have the real thing" and he winked at me.
He boarded the train and we waved as it pulled away from the station.
Merry Christmas Willie and have a good life.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Big guns indeed. Your daughter's words brought tears to my eyes. This story deserves a larger platform as it is a great example of humanity at its best.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
has been BANNED

I don't think it needs a larger anything...if my small selfless act inspires one person to do something for someone else in need and someone else acknowledges that act by doing one of their own it can spread and spread and become something amazing.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:22 PM

Would you not be happier if it not only inspired one more act of kindness but hundreds or thousands? I know you neither require or desire for thanks or compensation but this story is inspirational and could very well inspire many more if given the audience. Just my opinion... peace

- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Would you not be happier if it not only inspired one more act of kindness but hundreds or thousands? I know you neither require or desire for thanks or compensation but this story is inspirational and could very well inspire many more if given the audience. Just my opinion... peace
And who's to say it wouldn't inspire hundred or thousands just from here? The whole concept of "Paying it Forward" comes from helping just a handful of people and then they help a handful and so on..and before you know it your small gesture has inspired millions. It's not about accolades.
My two usual traditions I spoke about earlier in the thread I do 100% anonymously and only my wife an I know what they are and that is fine with us.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:57 PM

Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby!

Very touching once again. God be with you, your daughter, and Willie the vagrant. I hope you have a merry christmas- god knows you deserve.

"People of Gotham! Take control.... take control of your city! THIS.... this is the instrument, of your liberation...."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General