Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
'ScapeTalk - Hahn Talks GenCon Prep

I’m not a GenCon expert by any means; I’ll leave that to Bill Porter a.k.a.

Keeper of the GenCon Lore

http://mypage.iu.edu/~wrporter/

His site has all the info you might ever need on GenCons past here in Indy.

But I’ve got more than a few Milwaukee and Indy GCs under my belt so I’ll share with you what works, what doesn’t, and the hot spots to go to in Indianapolis. (As if Indy has any hot spots.)

Food

You don’t have to spend a lot to keep that big ol’ belly full.

1. I’m not normally a breakfast kind of person beyond the 6 cups of coffee, but man take my advice and FILL UP on the free breakfast your hotel offers. That should be enough to get you to the magic 2 O’clock hour. Then you can hit your infinite bag of holding for some PBnJs and snacks.
2. Speaking of the breakfast bar….”borrow” the occasional apple or banana. They pack and keep well.
3. DO NOT eat at the Convo Center food court. Their prices make a beer and food prices at a Pro Sporting event look cheap.
4. If you’re flying in you are probably not going to be packing grub. The nearest grocery is O’Malia’s. Your best bet is to find a buddy with a car or get a cab and make a power shopping run through the store. They also have a good wine and beer selection.

O’Malia’s
(317) 262-4888

http://tinyurl.com/2ea74l

5. Water, water, and water. Most of you LARPers are probably not use to so much physical activity for 8 hours at a time. Pack at least (2) bottles of H2O in your infinite bag of holding each day or be prepared to pay $4 per at the Convo Center.
6. For dinner I say look beyond the traditional pizza and go with China King. It is good CHEAP Chinese Food at it’s best. For $5 you can get a huge amount of food. With in walking distance or they deliver with a $20 minimum order.

China King

http://tinyurl.com/2qux5r

Drink aka Spirits.

OK word to the wise. Do not get hammered at GC! I cannot imagine anything worse than being hung over and/or missing a day on the floor because you couldn’t get out of bed. Stick to beer or a FEW cocktails. To save on cost hopefully you are in a hotel with a “happy hour” from 5-7 PM. If not I recommend making a run to my favorite downtown “Wine-o” liquor store.

John’s Liquors

http://tinyurl.com/3awgq3

You will be surprised at the selection of beers they have in the cooler.

If you must go out on the town I would say

The Ram
(317) 955-9900
www.theram.com

http://tinyurl.com/2z8kxa

is your best bet. REAL close to the Convo center and the Buttface Ale is awesome. If you’re looking for a bite I say the meatloaf sandwich is hard to beat.

Games

1. Coordinate with your buddies. There is no reason to have 10 people all bring Memoir ’44 and then not have a copy of Settlers to play because no one brought it.
2. If you have a LOT of games pack them in a large cooler. If you are flying just duct tape it shut. It’s a hard case for your games and you then have beer and food storage at the hotel.
3. Unless it’s out of print or you just GOTTA have it. Limited yourself to buying only ONE game in the dealer hall. 90% of the time you will be able to find it cheaper at home or online and you don’t have to worry about shipping from the on site UPS store or cramming it into a full suitcase.

Backpack AKA Infinite Bag of Holding.

Next to having a bad pair of shoes nothing can ruin a good day of gaming like having a bad backpack. It’s a personal choice do you go with a traditional pack or a messenger bag? I go with the messenger bag. It gives me easy access to say my camera without having to take it off to get to it. No matter what you choose try and remember.

1. Go light! There is no reason to haul around 30 lbs on your back all day. I start the day out with (2) bottles of water, snacks and my camera. That’s it. I know that I will ditch the food and water and that leaves PLENTY of room for any swag I might get during the day. Speaking of swag…..
2. SWAG BAGS. If you can go over on Wednesday afternoon and get it. It’s just one less thing you have to carry around all day. And if you’re like me only 50% of the crap in there is stuff I want. Take the time to go through it and either
a. Throw out the crap you don’t want or
b. Offer it to someone who does
3. If you don’t need ALL of your Scape units don’t bring them with you!
4. If you decide to buy a brand new big game don’t haul it around with you all day.
a. Either buy it first thing in the morning and run it back to your room. (20 minutes round trip tops)
b. Buy it at the end of the day and then head on home.
5. Badge holder. http://tinyurl.com/22nwo9 OK I know my “hero” hated this but it was one of the best things I’ve ever bought at GC. It’s just not a badge holder. If it were it’s worth the price. I’ve seen too many lost badges on the ground over the years. No badge = No GC! It opens up to reveal a Retro 80s Velcro wallet. There is enough room in there for extra ca$h, credit cards, room key, event tickets, and pen and paper.

Transportation

I have been told that Carey limo offers a shuttle form the airport to downtown for $12+tip.

Carey Limo
(317) 241-6700
careyindiana.com

Miscellaneous

1. Avoid the LARPer funk and shower everyday. Enough said.
2. 2007 Exhibit Hall Map. Make sure to check out booth 2304! http://tinyurl.com/2p2ca7
3.http://www.gencon.com/2007/indy/exhi...xhibitors.aspx
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby!
Ah, I think Hahn gave me that link before. I explored that site a bit, there's a lot of good stuff on there. The calculator still isn't up, though

Is it too early to be planning for GC '08? Either way, very good stuff, truth. It's best to get this kind of info from those with experience. I'm saving all this stuff for next year, when I can actually go :-p.

Thanks a lot, can wait for the podcast!

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
AH!! 12 days 14 hours 14 minutes 50 seconds!!
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM

Scape_Scrub11 has disabled reputation
I year I did go to Con we went to the mall a few blocks away from the center to get food............Steak Escape mmmmmmmmm
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!
Go Go Flaming Hawthorne Heads!

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GenCon
2. If you have a LOT of games pack them in a large cooler. If you are flying just duct tape it shut.
I don't think this will work. The airline security will take a razor blade to that duct tape and inspect the contents, and then the damned thing will not be as secure for the rest of the trip.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM

sjscaper is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
2. If you have a LOT of games pack them in a large cooler. If you are flying just duct tape it shut.
I don't think this will work. The airline security will take a razor blade to that duct tape and inspect the contents, and then the darned thing will not be as secure for the rest of the trip.
I was thinking suitcase + 30gal trashbag + ice machine = cooler for the weekend.

Old August 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think this will work. The airline security will take a razor blade to that duct tape and inspect the contents, and then the darned thing will not be as secure for the rest of the trip.
OK I just checked with my Uncle Bob. Who the hell is Uncle Bob? well in his retired life he's a professional fisherman. Runs charters on Lake Ontario and flies all over the world to fish. he said very rarely will they open coolers and if they do they reseal them. He also said you can go to a sporting goods store like Dick's(that would be d i c k's sporting goods a large national chain) and buy a strap that will lock down the cooler. That way they can look in and re-lock it. I know last year my East Coast crew had no issues with this method and this was right during the British airlines terror fiasco that kept me from getting my Mack n Jack African Amber beer though security.

HEY LET ME SEE YOUR WAY FACE IT'S ALMOST TIME FOR

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thanks for all the info. I haven't been to a Gen Con since it moved to Indy so I'm pretty much a newb.

Old August 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Thanks for all the info. I haven't been to a Gen Con since it moved to Indy so I'm pretty much a newb.
GET YOUR GAME ON!
GET YOUR DRINK ON!
GET YOUR WAR BONNET ON!

YO"RE GOING TO BABY!

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
GET YOUR GAME ON!
GET YOUR DRINK ON!
GET YOUR WAR BONNET ON!

YO"RE GOING TO BABY!
12 days, 00 hours, 49 minutes, 20 seconds
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama
Quote:
Quote:
OK I just checked with my Uncle Bob. Who the hell is Uncle Bob? well in his retired life he's a professional fisherman. Runs charters on Lake Ontario and flies all over the world to fish. he said very rarely will they open coolers and if they do they reseal them. He also said you can go to a sporting goods store like ****'s(that would be d i c k's sporting goods a large national chain) and buy a strap that will lock down the cooler. That way they can look in and re-lock it. I know last year my East Coast crew had no issues with this method and this was right during the British airlines terror fiasco that kept me from getting my Mack n Jack African Amber beer though security.

HEY LET ME SEE YOUR WAY FACE IT'S ALMOST TIME FOR
Thanks Hahn, and thank you Uncle Bob, and the east coast crew!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online