Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM

SeptimusHeap is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
What to buy?

I just got started playing Heroscape a few months ago but have never owned my own. A friend of mine is offering to sell me half of his collection, which consists of RoTV, SoTM, and various boosters (All I know of is Moltenclaw's invasion, the Grut Orcs, and some set with snow tiles.) I've also been scouting the web for some deals and will probably buy a FoTA or two. Any advice on what part of my friend's collection I should buy, and any additional sets you would recommend?
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:34 PM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker
Re: What to buy?

Firstly, welcome to Heroscapers.

Second, if you can afford it, get all the stuff your friend is willing to part with. You might want at least 2 squads for commons and just 1 of each unique.
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:06 AM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

WotC just had their final blowout sale for heroscape. Waves 1,8, and 11-13 were going very cheap (as low as $25 a wave). I'd see if you can pick up those before they become as expensive as every other wave.

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:39 AM

philowar is surprisingly tart

Welcome, Septimus. First thing I would advise you to do is to look at the Power Rankings:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=6171

I'm not sure just how much experience playing the game you have, but see what heroes and squads appeal to you from the A to B+ rankings. Don't bother for anything else for now as, generally speaking, anything below B+ isn't going to fare very well in games where you are using the best figures. Later on, after you've played the game a bit more and if you've found it a worthwhile investment, you can experiment with some of the less-than-stellar units from the B, C, or even lower rankings, but for now I would save yourself the money (and potential disappointment) and avoid them.

In terms of "common" squads, start with two of each if you can. Play them a bit and add on from there if you want to. Despite what some people will tell you, there is no reason to buy four or five sets of a particular unit to enjoy the game.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:05 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

First rule of HeroScape (and this was true when the game as in print): See Scape, buy Scape. It will not be there when you go back.

-insert signature here-
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks for all the help! Just to clear something up, I'm not too interested in playing in tournaments, mainly just for fun.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I hear ya SeptimusHeap, but I would't outright dismiss the tourney sceene just yet. Most of them are really just a laid back game day, not a hardcore, win at all costs tourney.

Tournament is the best way to describe these events since it's something everyone understands, but that's really as far as it goes. Unless an event is labled "X Championship" it's pretty much a given that is just a bunch of folks looking to play some games, eat bad take out, and have a bunch of laughs.

-insert signature here-
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptimusHeap View Post
Thanks for all the help! Just to clear something up, I'm not too interested in playing in tournaments, mainly just for fun.
I tend to stay out of tournaments as well, mostly due to transportation issues, but if you ever get the chance - go to at least one.

They are really just a bunch of friendly folks wanting to play and generally will lend you what you need.

As for what to get - because you're not a tourny scene type of person, one of each should do it (2 or 3 if you really like the unit).

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; March 6th, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: I'm still working on getting one of each myself.
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM

Thanks guys. I ended up buying it all. I'm thinking about buying the first wave online for about $25, is it worth it? Also, I'm missing Shiori, a Deathreaver, and a Warrior of Ashra. Is there a way I can order just one unit of a squad?
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:39 PM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

$25 per wave is really cheap, it's like $6.25 per booster. And yes, you can buy any unit or squad online. Check out...

Auggies
Miniature Market
eBay and
buy or trade at HS Trade Thread & Good Traders

As for Shiori, I'm pretty sure someone here with an extra can give it to you for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptimusHeap View Post
Thanks guys. I ended up buying it all. I'm thinking about buying the first wave online for about $25, is it worth it? Also, I'm missing Shiori, a Deathreaver, and a Warrior of Ashra. Is there a way I can order just one unit of a squad?
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM

OK. Are the wave one figures useful/good figures? If I were to buy either wave 1, 8, 11, 12, or 13, which one would you recommend? (I'm buying from http://www.miniaturemarket.com/colle...rter-sets.html, if anyone was curious.)
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

I would choose Wave 1, Wave 11 and Wave 12, in that order.

But I would recommend copies before variety, if you're going to play competitively.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion