Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:34 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Morsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepybluemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Suddenly Morsbane and Dund are a lot more scary.

Ever played an army consisting of all one type of common?

Dund scares the crap out of you with an army like that. You become paranoid that he's going to get drafted, and then you become more paranoid every single turn that he's going to cripple gaze you and run wild for the rest of the round, killing your troops.
My group pretty much plays pre-built armies all the time. I appreciate the nuaces of the draft, but it also slows game night down and eats up our already short time to Scape.

I would get a lump in my throat if Dund attempted to negate one order marker, never mind three...

I'm playing in a tourney on June 28, a full two weeks and a day after the new releases hit the shelves, plenty of time for folks to get out and aquire them. I expect to see plenty of builds with Kato and the Samurai, the Elves, and Kosumet with his new Wolves To go a different rout I'm thinking of going all counter to those units.

Morsbane, Dund, large figs for the wolves... could be interesting.

-insert signature here-
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:27 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It's probably not a big deal, but why does Morsbane's power say "at the end of the turn"?

What turn? Anyone's turn? Each of my turns? Is it just one particular turn?

I assume it means at the end of a turn with Morsbane, but wouldn't it have been just as simple to write "at the end of his turn"?

I just thought I'd check to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomo6 View Post
It's probably not a big deal, but why does Morsbane's power say "at the end of the turn"?

What turn? Anyone's turn? Each of my turns? Is it just one particular turn?

I assume it means at the end of a turn with Morsbane, but wouldn't it have been just as simple to write "at the end of his turn"?

I just thought I'd check to make sure I wasn't missing something.
It would take an extreme rules' lawyer, in my opinion, to read that "the" as meaning anything other than Morsbane's turn; but we've seen a few such folks around here (though they don't tend to stay long). So, I don't think you're missing anything.
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepybluemonkey View Post
If you play with the same people week after week, the draft goes quicker than you'd think it would. When I play 2 player or 3 player games we are set up and rolling dice within 10-15 minutes, tops. A way to speed up the process is to not include multiple uniques, ban players from playing the same common somebody else picked, and to use a second table or shelf area to set out all the figures (do this when you make the map and leave it up for a while if possible) in ascending order of point value. If you sort the figures by point value, it is easy to see what you can afford at a glance, and is faster than flipping through a book or a stack of cards.
A good idea, if you have room for the shelf. I'm stuck with rifling through stacks, and I usually know what I want before I start whereas my girlfriend doesn't dedicate as much time to studying the game as I do. I've always wanted a book to hold my cards in. What kind would you suggest to be compatible with the uniquely-shaped cards of HS?
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Am I the only one who is seeing Morsebane as a potential anti-Q9 unit? I know this sounds crazy, but follow along:

Say that you have Jorhdawn, Arkmer, Morsebane, and Kyntela Gwyn all clustered together as snug as a bug in a rug with Ulginesh nearby. This sounds tricky, but with Emirroon around this is not actually too difficult. Now, if your opponent has Q9 his initial idea is to tie you up with something like rats, and then Queglix you for the kill. But here is the problem: Morsebane's Rod of Negation has the same range as the Queglix. With there being a 1/4 chance of Q9 being either negated or killed, your opponent will probably be a bit wary of charging Q9 in there to kill Morsebane, especially since he can use the rod even when his is engaged. So naturally, he will use his secondary attacker to clean things up. The only problem for your opponent is that Arkmer and Jorhdawn are using ranged attacks of 4 to demolish anything that comes within range (unless if they have something like Minions, Zettians, Sentinals, etc.)

Would this work?

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx View Post
Am I the only one who is seeing Morsebane as a potential anti-Q9 unit? I know this sounds crazy, but follow along:

Say that you have Jorhdawn, Arkmer, Morsebane, and Kyntela Gwyn all clustered together as snug as a bug in a rug with Ulginesh nearby. This sounds tricky, but with Emirroon around this is not actually too difficult. Now, if your opponent has Q9 his initial idea is to tie you up with something like rats, and then Queglix you for the kill. But here is the problem: Morsebane's Rod of Negation has the same range as the Queglix. With there being a 1/4 chance of Q9 being either negated or killed, your opponent will probably be a bit wary of charging Q9 in there to kill Morsebane, especially since he can use the rod even when his is engaged. So naturally, he will use his secondary attacker to clean things up. The only problem for your opponent is that Arkmer and Jorhdawn are using ranged attacks of 4 to demolish anything that comes within range (unless if they have something like Minions, Zettians, Sentinals, etc.)

Would this work?
I see where you're coming from, but even if Q9 loses his ability, he still has an attack of 4, a range of 8, and a defense of 7, all of which are pretty darn good. I would rather use my order marker to attack Q9 and potentially kill a great figure than to try to negate Q9 and demote him into a really good figure.
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSisforcoolkids View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx View Post

Would this work?
I see where you're coming from, but even if Q9 loses his ability, he still has an attack of 4, a range of 8, and a defense of 7, all of which are pretty darn good. I would rather use my order marker to attack Q9 and potentially kill a great figure than to try to negate Q9 and demote him into a really good figure.
But see, there is more intimidation here than anything. Nonetheless, I understand your view point, but he becomes alot less deadly without his Special Attack. Though solid, he is not invincible, and is still wary around Runa/Morsebane/DED/Sudema.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM

Topher is surprisingly tart

I want to make sure I am understanding this right. When trying to negate a squad with Morsbane, if you roll a 20 you only get to kill one figure not the whole squad? Do you have to choose to kill one figure on 20 or can you choose to negate instead because it seems to me that when using Morsbane against a squad a 20 would be less desirable then getting to negate?
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

You destroy the figure you chose before rolling the d20.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Not sure I understand Necro's comment. Topher, you must destroy the fig, but it doesn't cost you a marker. As to which is preferable... dunno. Sometimes knocking out a quarter to a half of an elite squad is better than nullifying it (the Zettian Guards are an obvious example here). For others, you can debate - is a dead Nakita better than a full live team without their specials?

~Aldin, saying before rolling the D20?

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Say an order marker comes up on Morsbane. After moving and attacking, the only target available for the Rod of Negation is one that has already been negated. He wants to take another shot at that figure in hopes of getting a 20 and finishing it off.

1. Can he roll in the first place against an already-negated unit?

2. If he can and does, will he waste a negation marker if he rolls a 16-19 against the unit?
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Looks to me like yes and yes.

~Aldin, who would kill for a 20

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units