Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Notices

Old December 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM

auralerogeny is surprisingly tart
Holiday Meta-Map CONTEST! WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!

And the winner is: J-Bird!

Click here to see his entry.

"Rooks and Pawns" by J-Bird.

Welcome all!

Every Christmas, many of us travel to our families and must leave our obsession behind us. NO MORE! Now, with the wonderful "Meta-Map," HeroScape can travel with us! Now we can pack a small amount of material and figures into our luggage and bring the fun to the family.

During the Holidays, the dining room table is used for it's original intent -- eating! The Meta-Map doesn't have to live on the dining room table. It's quick to set up and break down, and is small enough to fit on an end-table, a coffe table, a TV dinner tray, or a large Lazy Suzan. The Meta-Map is a great tool to introduce your family to HeroScape, while not intimidating them with a rediculously huge and elaborate map surrounded by hundreds of figures and stat cards.

This contest is to see who can make the best Meta-Map "package."

We want to see versitile maps, something that is small yet can still offer many possibilities during gameplay. We are interested in seeing how many maps you can make, using the same material. We ask that you itemize a small amount of terrain and build two or more maps that all use that terrain. It's nice to be able to bring HeroScape with you when you travel, but it's even better when you are prepared and have 2-3 boards ready, so you can tear one down and slap another map together while Grandma figures out if she want's to stick with the Marro Warriors or change to the Aubrien Archers for the next game.

The Rules for this Contest are as follows:

1- The battlefields can not be big. We do not want to set limitations on creativity, but please keep them small.

2- Itemize a list of terrain, and each map must draw from this fixed amount of material. Each map is not required to use all of the material.

3- You must make a minimum of two maps that both draw from the same set amount of terrain. 3 or more maps are encouraged.

4- The terrain that you select must fit in a small box (like a shoe box, or the Castle Expansion box), and have a little room left for cards, figures, dice, etc. Pack it tight! Think of how the terrain was packed into the MS when you first opened it.

5- The Castle Expansion box is the largest acceptable box for this competition. It is approximately 525 cubic inches.

6- The use of terrain expansions such as TT, FOTA, RttFF, and VW are encouraged, however remember that glaciers, castle walls, ruins, and trees must still fit into your box along with your terrain and figures.

7- Maps must offer some interesting tactical opportunities, and also be astheticly pleasing.

8- Maps must be submitted in VirtualScape or LandScape.

9- Only one entry per person.

10- Your submission must include at least two pictures of each map from different angles, a picture of all the terrain IN your selected box, the VirtualScape or LandScape file used to create this map, and an itemized list of the terrain used for your entry. This submission should be posted publicly within this thread, for all to see.

The names of the entrants will be updated at the bottom of this post, as their entries are submitted completely and successfully. If your entry does not meet all of the rules above, you will recieve a PM, and be granted the opportunity to correct your submission.

We will accept entries until Monday, December 25th (Christmas Day), at midnight. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, January 3rd, in the title of this thread.

AgentX-127 and auralerogeny will be the judges for this competition, and we will critique each submission carefully.

AgentX-127 has graciously donated a Nerak for the prize in this contest. Yes, that's right, Nerak. The prize will be shipped out as soon as a winner is decided.

So run home and crank out some maps!

Click to see more...
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Is there a definatlive size contraint for the box, or just 'portable'? Is shoe box size the largest we should look at using?
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Yes, shoe-box size is the largest you should use. Good observation! I will point out that there is a big difference in the size of a shoe box for army boots and the size of a shoe-box for high heels. The exact dimensions of a shoe box were left out of the rules intentionally, it's up to you. It depends on what you have lying around the house.

However, I should mention that they are intended to be portable, so if you are going to use a huge shoe box, then it had better be 2-3 spectacular maps. Portabilty will be factored into the judging. It will not play a significant role in the winner, but would be the deciding factor in the event of a tie.

If the shoe-box is the size of a MS, that is definately way too big.

Also, the 24-hex tiles will not fit in some shoe boxes. This can be a good thing. The more smaller tiles you use in your map can increase the chances of creating an interesting battlefield. You are not limited in drawing your material out of a single MS, therefore you could have 10 seven-hex grass tiles in your map and 8 seven-hex rock tiles for example. It's up to you. Most of us have a large collection at home, and can draw from that material to bring on our travels.

While 24-hex tiles make setting up large maps easier, that is not always the case with a Meta-Map design. Sometimes large tiles on a small map can be constraining. Even with a larger number of small tiles, it won't ever take very long to set up a Meta-Map.

Click to see more...
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralerogeny

If the shoe-box is the size of a MS, that is definately way too big.
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:53 PM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Okay, I have got about 3 seconds to post this...
I'll come back later,
But for now, I wanted to help motivate people.
Here is 1st prize:
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker
Cool, I love map making contests!
Thanks, auralerogeny & AgentX-127!

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
I found a big shoe box in my closet:
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:08 PM

geddy lifeson has disabled reputation
This sounds like another great map contest. A challenge would be to use the shoe box from children's shoes although fitting in figs as well would be difficult.

You can surrender without a prayer, but never really pray without surrender
You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win without a fight
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:14 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
i'm glad i don't have to work tomorrow! now imma go win me a nerak! i've alreasy got an idea!

now to find a big enough small box...

would something about the size of a castle expansion box be too big too?
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:35 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Sounds like my kind of thing.

How many people should we be accounting for? (Y'know, for order and wound markers, how many armies, how much space would be required to be stuffed in the shoebox...)

And... do you have any partitular liking for large units? Because depending on which units you choose to put in the box, the amount of terrain that would fit would fluxuate...

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby!
Awesome, I can't wait to get started on my entry!
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentX-127
I found a big shoe box in my closet:

Watch out guys! AgentX-127 is gonna try and win the Nerak! (just kidding )

That shoe box is acceptable, however any bigger is fringing on too big. Good example AgentX!

I think it's funny that you actually fit your map IN the shoebox...however only the broken-down material needs to fit inside. I'm still laughing about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K/H_Addict
would something about the size of a castle expansion box be too big too?
EDIT: A Castle Expansion box would be fine. I apologize for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS ~ KNT
How many people should we be accounting for? (Y'know, for order and wound markers, how many armies, how much space would be required to be stuffed in the shoebox...)

And... do you have any partitular liking for large units? Because depending on which units you choose to put in the box, the amount of terrain that would fit would fluxuate...
Most Meta-Maps would only be two players, but if you would like to make a 3 or 4 player map, then more power to you. That would be an excellent idea to include more of the family while traveling.

As far as large units go, I typically would never bring any of the dragons for a Meta-Map. Krug, Jotun, Krug, maybe, but not likely. I'd rather have medium figures for such a small map. Q9 wouldn't be too likely either, because on a Meta-Map it isn't too likely that you'll play a 400-500 point game, and on a 200-300 point game the chances of drafting Q9 are pretty slim.

Click to see more...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games