Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old October 16th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2018

Ahh! Feedback! Loving it, guys ... keep it coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
The pop can make it!
Excellent! Top post updated. We're at 10 so far; I would love it if we could get to 12. I think I've only got a shot at one more from my side, realistically. But I'm still encouraging as enthusiastically as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
That combo looks like it works great. I'm definitely in favor of them not joining up instantaneously.
Yeah, too close together, and there's no challenge to cross maps. OTOH ...

Quote:
I'm slightly concerned about the one-hex bridges being too much of a choke-point ...
Right, exactly. So I'm trying to make every pair of maps touch in 2 or 3 hexes, then add the bridge pieces for a few more hexes. So, taking April Puddles as an example, April is on the left and A Couple Puddles is on the right; on level 3, 2 hexes of Puddles connect to 3 hexes of April. On level 2, there's another hex of April which connects to 2 more hexes of Puddles. And, on level 1, there's 6 hexes of bridging pieces between the 2 maps. So there should be plenty of room to cross.

Quote:
I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing the combo maps.
Quote:
It took me a second, too.

Xoti has just mapped out the edge pieces in those files, I think.
Yes, those aren't the entire maps; I figured it would take too much time to recreate the entirety of all the maps in VS. But, I dunno ... maybe I'll find some extra time at some point. But, for now, it's just the center—i.e. the places where the maps actually touch each other. The maps will continue on to both the left and the right (and, occasionally, upward).

Now, building may be somewhat of a challenge. But I'm thinking that each combo map will have 3 sets of instructions: one for the left-hand map, one for the right-hand map, and one that shows how they fit together and any additional pieces. That's the primary reason I made the bridge pieces pink—so it's obvious that these are "extra" pieces that fit into blank spots on the other 2 sets of instructions. Now, I'm hoping that each combo map, including bridge pieces, will be contributed by a single map-maker. However, I think it's still doable to have the two sides provided by two different attendees, especially if we're careful to make the bridge pieces super-obvious ... by which I mean, use the same terrain type for every bridge piece on a given map, and make it something that nothing else on either side is using. Asphalt and concrete will be the obvious choices, but swamp could work in certain cases, and maybe even sand or rock sometimes (like if you're bridging an ice map to a dungeon map or a lava map to a swamp map or something). Road and lava field are out, obviously, and none of the half-height tiles are usable; grass is probably too common, and snow just doesn't provide enough different shapes. Dungeon seems tempting, but there are powers tied to it, so it's not really feasible.

But you see what I'm saying: if it's super-obvious where the bridge pieces are, then it should be fairly obvious where the maps break apart, and then it's not hard to make sure everybody gets their own pieces back. I want to be really careful about making sure everybody gets their stuff back, as there will be a lot of mixing in this format, and we've already had issues with that before (as D-man's sig attests ).

Quote:
As for the format, wouldn't everyone have to bring a second army so as to guarantee that there will be a pool to choose from for those playing alone?
An excellent question! Well, my thinking on this was, I will probably just bring a huge batch of armies, since I have a pretty wide variety. Certain armies (wolfpack, elf wizard pod, 'crons, Nakitas + primadons, Nicky & the thralls, ninjacore, etc) are just no-brainers, and I put them together every year anyway, JIC someone shows up and needs an extra army. The only thing special I want to do for this year is to throw in some terrain-specific armies: a good snow army would be fun, or a lava army ... this really gives us the opportunity to see some units we never see in the tourneys, like yetis, obsidians, eilan sidhe ... hell, maybe even some Marro drudges! So I was expecting to be providing the bulk of the pool myself, and hoping to be pleasantly surprised if everyone also brought an extra army.

Quote:
You keep wanting Marvel, and I'm not opposed to it per-se but the A and A- ones should absolutely be on the restricted list if so.
Oh, are there power rankings for the Marvel guys? I had no idea ... I just always assumed they were all sub-par. I mean, Cap is pretty sweet if you run him with minutemen, sure, but otherwise, enh. Spidey and Iron Man have always been distinctly "meh" every time I've played them with Classic. The Hulk is exactly like a dragon: super-awesome, right up until he dies, then you're just hosed, because he was the bulk of your army. I feel like Surfer or Thanos are the only ones who might be problematic, and even then, it needs to be someone who really knows how to use them, and even then you're likely to get trounced by squadscape.

But, hey: I have zero problems with throwing a few supers onto the restricted list. Point me at the power rankings and I'll make that change in a heartbeat.

Last thing: I've done another combo: Stygian Rift + Highways and Dieways == Stygian Dieways. Check it out. This one goes up to level 3, and they fit together so beautifully that I only had to add a double and a triple ... and mainly that was just to have a place to put the treasure glyphs. It's weird to me how sweetly some of these just flow right into each other.

And feel free to tell me if you need me to expand these a bit so you can see how they're going to fit together. I know rotating them around in your head can be a PITA; I usually have to take at least one of the maps and suck it into the Gimp and do a rotate on it just to see how to orient it even to recreate the edges myself ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; October 16th, 2018 at 06:57 AM. Reason: fixed some typos
Old October 16th, 2018, 03:09 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Quote:
As for the format, wouldn't everyone have to bring a second army so as to guarantee that there will be a pool to choose from for those playing alone?
An excellent question! Well, my thinking on this was, I will probably just bring a huge batch of armies, since I have a pretty wide variety. (...) So I was expecting to be providing the bulk of the pool myself, and hoping to be pleasantly surprised if everyone also brought an extra army.
I don't think I realized that the pool was for everyone in the round to draw from and not just for the people in the battle to draw from. If that is the case, what determines the order that those get picked in? This definitely is a big handicap to the solo player then if they have to fight using one unfamiliar army. Especially if that second army is allotted through the same random draw as people just replacing their prime army.

Quote:
But, hey: I have zero problems with throwing a few supers onto the restricted list. Point me at the power rankings and I'll make that change in a heartbeat.
They actually live in the big power rankings thread. Looks like Cap is an A and Venom is an A-. Cap for sure should be on the list. He's essentially a sturdier Nilfheim who traded Flying and Bonding for 6-dice counterstrike , a solid aura and some solid Valiant Soldier synergy. I could kinda go either way on Venom, but leaning toward not listing him. He's individually strong but doesn't really have synergy with anything I can think of.

Quote:
Last thing: I've done another combo: Stygian Rift + Highways and Dieways == Stygian Dieways. Check it out. This one goes up to level 3, and they fit together so beautifully that I only had to add a double and a triple ... and mainly that was just to have a place to put the treasure glyphs. It's weird to me how sweetly some of these just flow right into each other.

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old October 17th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I don't think I realized that the pool was for everyone in the round to draw from and not just for the people in the battle to draw from.
Well, this is the downside of not having everyone bring 2 armies. But superfrog didn't like that plan, for some reason. And I suppose the upside is, really, that you can't just bring 2 amazing armies and kick everyone's ass by always paying both.

Quote:
If that is the case, what determines the order that those get picked in?
We get to make it up!

Quote:
This definitely is a big handicap to the solo player then if they have to fight using one unfamiliar army. Especially if that second army is allotted through the same random draw as people just replacing their prime army.
Sure, that's a valid point. I was originally thinking it would just be random ... we shouldn't have that many collisions anyway. Because, you know: if everyone wants the same army from the pool, we're doing the pool armies wrong. All the pool armies should be decent, but not amazing (the main reason they're not allowed to have any primary restricted units at all). So my idea was everyone would put a piece of paper with player name and desired army name into a hat, and we draw 'em out at random. But we could instead draw in two rounds: solo players get a random draw first, then people just looking to replace get a draw. Or it doesn't even have to be random: best currently ranked player could get first pick and go down; or, hell: worst currently ranked player could get first pick and go up ... maybe we want to use this as a tiny dial for levelling the playing field. Whatever. We're making up the rules here.

Quote:
They actually live in the big power rankings thread.
Hunh. I had totally forgotten that ...

Quote:
Looks like Cap is an A and Venom is an A-.
And Surfer is an A- as well. I'm a little surprised Thanos isn't in there, since he's soooo hard to kill (permanently), but that's fine.

Quote:
Cap for sure should be on the list. He's essentially a sturdier Nilfheim who traded Flying and Bonding for 6-dice counterstrike , a solid aura and some solid Valiant Soldier synergy.
Sure. Added.

Quote:
I could kinda go either way on Venom, but leaning toward not listing him. He's individually strong but doesn't really have synergy with anything I can think of.
I would lean against for Venom. I could kinda go either way for Surfer, but I would mostly lean against. Although I just noticed he's valiant too ... still, despite his amazing mobility, he's still going to get his butt handed to him by squadscape. Only being able to attack once just hoses you in this game.

Okay, two more updates for tonight:

First, I've gone through the power rankings and reviewed the entire restricted list based on that. The only actual change I made was adding Cap, but I at least looked at everyone from A+ to A- who's not on our list. Details below for those who care.
Spoiler Alert!

Secondly, I went through and looked at who can make what maps. My conclusions are as follows:
  • I totally f'ed up my second combo map. It was supposed to be Hot Heights + Burial Marsh. Bummer. I'll have to redo that one.
  • I looked at who could provide each map, favoring every combo map be made by a single mapmaker. I think we should make 4 combo maps, which is 8 regular maps, which is 16 people. I sincerly doubt we'll need that many, but it's nice to have the extra variety, and be covered JIC a batch of unexpected newbies shows up.
  • superfrog, you can't build anything.
  • hivelord, you can build any combo map except Stygian Dieways.
  • D-man, wnfb, and I can build any of the 4 combo maps.
So, that's pretty sweet! Lots of options there. I'll figure out what I'm going to build for a practice map (that'll go up tomorrow, if I'm lucky) and then assign out from there, and make sure everyone is good with their maps.

Man, I'm already starting to get excited!

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 18th, 2018, 02:24 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Okay, the news for today is, I have now built a combo map and set it up on my dining room table. Specifically, it is Dance of the Dryads + Ticalla Sunrise == Dryad Sunrise. For this one, I tried just going ahead and recreating the entirety of both maps. Thoughts:
  • It wasn't as much of a PITA as I expected it would be. I wasn't considering that these tourney maps rarely have more than 3 or 4 levels, and often nothing beyond level 1 is very extensive.
  • Plus, now that I know we won't ever have to have half the combo map supplied by one person and half by another, keeping the mapbuilding instructions separate seems less important.
  • They, once again, fit together very beautifully, requiring only 2 doubles to complete the bridge. I even managed to connect water to water.
  • In addition to the 3D pic from VS, I added some actual pictures of the map on my table. I forgot to add the glyphs before taking the pics, tho; sorry about that. But you can see where they'll go in the VS pic.
  • I hadn't really considered how big these suckers were going to be. VS claims Dryad Sunrise is 51 inches wide. @warriorneedsfoodbadly , are we going to be able to fit 4 of these babies on the rec room tables? Maybe if we push some of them together?
  • Now that I'm adding the startzones to the map, I'm also realizing how close the treasure glyphs will be ... on this map, one army on either side could pick up a glyph with a hero on move 1, even if the hero only had a move of 4. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but it seems like it might be. I really need someone who understands map design to help me out here ... I have a little understanding of unit design, but almost none of map design. @superfrog ? @hivelord ?
  • Assuming it is a problem, here are some potential solutions I've considered:
    • Add some barrier that must be crossed to get to the glpyh (e.g. ruin, battlement).
    • Add more terrain that stretches out into "void" areas (i.e. not touching the map on either side), so that figures have to walk down a sort of pier-like spit of land to get to the treasure glyphs.
    • Make a rule that you can't pick up a treasure glyph on round 1.
    • Start the trap roll for treasure glyphs higher than normal, then drop it down every round until eventually it goes away entirely. Trap consequences would presumably be something simple, like "take a wound." Still, if you had, say, a 50/50 shot of taking a wound in round 1, you might think twice before just leaping immediately onto the glyph. And, on the flipside, say the roll drops down by 2 every round, so long about round 6, glyphs are free! Which might help speed up the endgame. The only real downside of this plan is keeping track of the current number, but I was thinking maybe we (by which I guess I mean "I" ) could make some flipbooks with the current number. Plus that would give me a chance to add other helpful reminders for things that people might forget (e.g. rolling for lava field damage, if applicable). I kinda dig this idea, personally, but I understand if people think it's too complex. (Although, realistically, that ship has sailed. )

I'll work on doing full map builds for all the other combo maps, and I think I'll start putting together some ideas for pool armies. It's probably a good idea to throw out some ideas so people will have an idea what to expect. Plus that way people can offer ... shall we say ... constructive criticism.

I was also thinking about what hivelord brought up before ... what happens if you don't get your preferred army from the pool? Again, totally just spitballing here, but maybe there could be some sort of consolation prize for someeone snaking your army. Something tiny: 10 extra points when counting up at the end of the game, or a token that can be redeemed at any time to remove a single wound marker, or something along those lines. I still think it won't happen as often as we think, especially if we have several terrain-specific choices. But, it couldn't hurt to balance the scales in some small way if random choice screws you out of an army choice that you think would've helped you win.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 19th, 2018, 06:26 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Okay, the news for today is, I have now built a combo map and set it up on my dining room table. Specifically, it is Dance of the Dryads + Ticalla Sunrise == Dryad Sunrise. For this one, I tried just going ahead and recreating the entirety of both maps. Thoughts:
  • It wasn't as much of a PITA as I expected it would be. I wasn't considering that these tourney maps rarely have more than 3 or 4 levels, and often nothing beyond level 1 is very extensive.
  • Plus, now that I know we won't ever have to have half the combo map supplied by one person and half by another, keeping the mapbuilding instructions separate seems less important.
  • They, once again, fit together very beautifully, requiring only 2 doubles to complete the bridge. I even managed to connect water to water.
  • In addition to the 3D pic from VS, I added some actual pictures of the map on my table. I forgot to add the glyphs before taking the pics, tho; sorry about that. But you can see where they'll go in the VS pic.
Oh my gosh, does this have me grinnning like a fool. What a crazy awesome idea.....
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:27 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Oh my gosh, does this have me grinnning like a fool. What a crazy awesome idea.....
It is pretty awesome, actually. I'm just hoping it'll all work out, logistically. Still waiting to hear back from wnfb as to whether the tables are going to hold monstrosities of this size ...

Also, another snag. I went to put Hot Heights together with Burial Marsh, and, for the first time, they don't go together beautifully ... they don't realy go together at all. I can't see any way to put them together that doesn't either: a) go off in some crazy direction, so that the map wouldn't fit on any table known to man, or b) put somebody's startzone literally adjacent to the other map. I'm thinking I'll substitute a lower pick of mine for Burial Marsh ... possibly Draugur, as it has similar terrain choices. But I have a gap in my spreadsheet data, so, before I get any further: @Detrimentalman , how many (if any) BftUs (a.k.a. dungeon master sets) do you have? Once I know that, I can start assigning maps out.

Thx guys. This is hard work, but it's kinda fun.

EDIT: Stygian Dieways is now a full map; check it out. Also added set requirements and (probably more importantly for our purposes) size info to the descriptions of both this one and Dryad Sunrise.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; October 20th, 2018 at 04:02 AM. Reason: added map update
Old October 20th, 2018, 10:29 AM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart

I am 90% sure I have two of the DnD master sets, if that’s what you mean. If you’re talking castles, I have at least 2.

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old October 21st, 2018, 07:09 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrimentalman View Post
I am 90% sure I have two of the DnD master sets, if that’s what you mean.
Yep, that's what I meant.

Quote:
If you’re talking castles, I have at least 2.
Oh, I didn't have that down either, so that's good to know too.

Okay, the news for today is:
  • The kids and I played a full round of 'Scape on the combo map. The elder two played as a team, vs me playing essentially solo (the little one's "help" doesn't really count ). I just plucked a "pool" army almost at random.
  • As an experiment, we played with treasure glyphs activating on 12 or higher for round 1 (the plan is to bring it down to 9 for round 2, etc).
  • This experiment seems to work, as no one actually went for a treasure glyph on round 1 (although Urk is camped out on one, just waiting for the trap chance to come down).
  • OTOH, there's nothing keeping people from leaping on the power glyph pretty much immediately, which is exactly what happened. (Of course, that dude nearly immediately got killed, and then was instantly replaced; Scurry and Scatter type powers are excellent for glyph grabbing.)
  • At least so far, play has not devolved into everyone just spamming into the center where the maps connect (and where all the glyphs are). There's also some side action going on on at least one side. So that's positive.
In order to play, I had to create a glyph pool. Which means I had to review our glyph list. And I have a few issues with it:
  • On the power glyph side, Kelda doesn't work at all:
    • It's a temporary glyph, which sucks.
    • It's the only glyph (I think) that you're not allowed to place symbol-side-up (because only certain characters are allowed to step on it, so it's also illegal to use how we want to use it.
  • But I don't think we need it anyway: having 4 power glyph choices is plenty.
  • On the treasure glyph side, half of our list is temporary glyphs. Did I mention that temporary glyphs suck? With a permanent glyph, you can kil the guy that picked it up and have another shot at it yourself. With a temporary glyph, they may use it before you can kill them, and then it's just gone. So I vote no temporary glyphs.
  • Unfortunately, that presents other problems: if you eliminate the temporary glyphs (and you certainly don't want to use the ancient artifact glyphs), you're only left with 6 choices, and half of them suck, conditionally:
    • Oceanstrider sucks if there's no water on the map, or very little/small bodies of water.
    • Giant Hunter sucks if none of your opponents have large or huge figures.
    • Holy Symbol sucks if none of your opponents have undead.
  • So there are only 3 permanent treasure glyphs that are guaranteed useful: +1 attack, +1 defense, free disengage. (I mean, I guess free disengage could be useless, if your heroes are orcs or ninja or what-have-you, but I think it'll be useful more often than not.)
  • There are 2 big problems with only having 3 treasure glyphs to choose from:
    • Since every map will be using 2 treasure glyphs, I'd rather have more choices for treasure glyphs, not fewer.
    • I don't know about you guys, but I just flat out don't have as many treasure glyphs as other glyphs. I came up with 3 full sets of the 4 power glyphs without even trying that hard—I'm pretty sure I could do 4 if I went digging. I can't even find two full sets of the 3 treasure glyphs. I had to throw in a Brandar's Chest and say "if you get this, it counts as a Heroic Rune."
  • I'm not 100% sure what the right answer is. Here are some ideas I've come up with:
    • Just stick with 3 treasure glyphs and deal with it.
    • Use a temporary glyph (Healing Potion would be the most obvious choice), or even two, and make the rule that, once you use it, instead of being eliminated from the game, it goes back on the board, somewhere. We'd have to decide where, and maybe even add some coda to prevent the same hero from just immediately picking it back up again. But it could work.
    • Use a temporary glyph but proclaim it to be permanent instead. I don't like this though, as it's potentially overpowered.
    • Use Brandar's Chest and give it our own newly invented power. I don't like this either, though, as it's essentially impossile to be sure we have a balanced glyph.
    • Use Brandar's Chest and proclaim it to be a C3V glyph. There are only two permanent C3V treasure glyphs: Lava Resistance (which conditionally sucks), and Searing Intensity, which could work, although I worry it might be too much for our scenarios. I haven't tried looking through the C3G glyphs.
    • I couldn't think of any more ideas.
  • I'd love to hear any feedback you guys might have on any of this. I'll hold off on updating the glyph list until people have a chance to weigh in.

PLUS: I finished the revision on April Puddles. Full map, new pic, better description, size added.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 21st, 2018, 12:39 PM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart

The tournament format is already naturally imbalanced so I have no issue with glyphs being slightly lopsided.

I have glyphs if the issue was needing more of any type. We could also just put a sticky on some and proclaim it to be a missing option if we still don’t have enough.

We could use duplicate glyphs and stipulate you can’t use two of the same type.

All I got.

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:13 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I don't mind repeat treasures. Or the Searing Intensity glyph. Also worth noting that Lava Resistant gives you immunity to Searing Intensity glyph, so the Lava Resistant Glyph has the potential to not suck outright if paired with the Searing Intensity Glyph.

Also for using Urk. Always cool to read about one of your designs being played.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 06:28 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
The tournament format is already naturally imbalanced ...
You think so? Do you think there's anything we can do to address that? I was hoping that the format, while obviously different and kinda crazy, could at least be considered fair. Or, as fair as any of our tournaments are, at least ... or is that what you meant? Is there something about the tourney format you find inherently imbalanced? I personally never cared that much, since I figure I'm never going to win anyway. I'm having fun just playing. But I always thought everyone else felt like the tourney format was more or less balanced. But perhaps I'm wrong ...

Quote:
... so I have no issue with glyphs being slightly lopsided.
Well, I'll stop worrying about it then.

Quote:
I have glyphs if the issue was needing more of any type. We could also just put a sticky on some and proclaim it to be a missing option if we still don’t have enough.
Yeah, if worse come to worst. Heroic Rune seems to be the one I have the least of, so hopefully you have a few of those.

Quote:
We could use duplicate glyphs and stipulate you can’t use two of the same type.
My thought is to have two "bags" of glyphs (perhaps literally): one for power glyphs and one for treasure glyphs. Since we're putting 2 treasure glyphs on each map, it's certainly possible to get duplicates on a particular map. And, technically, the rules don't specify any restrictions on one figure having two of the same treasure glyph except for ancient artifact glyphs, which we won't be using anywyay. So I don't think we need to worry about that rule ... technically, at least. I certainly don't have a problem with making the rule for our format if people feel strongly about it.

Quote:
All I got.
That was very helpful, thx! Did you have any opinion on whether we should start the trap rolls high and come down, as I suggested, or just keep them low throughout and accept that there will be a mad scramble for glyphs on round 1?

Quote:
I don't mind repeat treasures. Or the Searing Intensity glyph. Also worth noting that Lava Resistant gives you immunity to Searing Intensity glyph, so the Lava Resistant Glyph has the potential to not suck outright if paired with the Searing Intensity Glyph.
Well, Lava Resistance sucks if you don't have any lava on the map to resist either. So I definitely think that one should be out. But throwing in a few Brandar's Chest's and calling them Searing Intensity's seems perfectly reasonable to me.

(I'll update the glyph list to reflect these choices.)

Quote:
Also for using Urk. Always cool to read about one of your designs being played.
Yeah, Quillon (a.k.a. my eldest) seems to really dig him. Goblins is not my thing in particular, but it's an integral part of Q's army, so you'll almost certainly be seeing him at the tourney.

@warriorneedsfoodbadly : Any thoughts on the table sizes? I'm starting to get really concerned about whether we're going to be able to find 4 playable surfaces that'll be large enough. We're looking for about 5' x 4', I'd say, to allow enough room for cards and dice and all that.

Today's top news is not good, I'm afraid. Over the weekend, the Smaller Animal stepped on a pencil, and now has a healthy chunk of graphite embedded in his left foot. He'll have to have yet another surgery, although much more minor this time. The recovery time is pretty quick, so it's possible that he could still make it. We're keeping our fingers crossed. But nothing is certain at this point. We'll just have to wait and see how it all works out. To my knowledge, Quillon and I will still be there no matter what, and anyone from Quillon's crew is likewise unaffected. People in the Smaller Animal's crew are, however, uncertain. It's possible that he/they may want to come even if my kid can't make it. Or not; I just don't know. More details as they become available.

Better news: I've been working on putting together some pool armies. To see what I've got so far, please go to HACCS and do the following:
  • You can log in, or not: your choice. If you don't log in, you'll have to do the settings thing (next step) every time. If you log in, it will remember the settings as long as you stay logged in/log in again.
  • In the far left of the top bar, click on "Settings." Check the "VC" box. (You could check the "Marvel" box too, if you like, but I haven't made any pool armies with Marvel guys in them. Yet. ) Close the settings box.
  • In the far right column, which is the army builder column, click on "Search." (Note: not the "Search" in the far left column. That's a unit search. You want the army search.)
  • Under "Army Name," put in "socal pool" and click the search button. You should get about 15 results in the far left column.
  • Click on an army to show its units (in the far right column). Click on an individual unit to show that card in the middle column.
The reason I'm asking you to do that instead of just entering them all here is ... well, first of all it's a lot less copy-pasting. But, secondly, now you can see what I'm doing even if I've updated things since I wrote this, or if you go back and check next week or whatever. Handy, eh? (Also, HACCS is an invaluable resource, which you should totally be using. If nothing else, it's an excellent way to scope out VC units, check out synergies, etc.)

Now, these are all suggested pool armies. I'm hoping you guys will let me know if you think they're too strong, or too weak, or whatever. Some of them are thematic, some are terrain specific, some are just fun, try-out-some-new-units type armies. I believe I can bring every single one of these armies myself for the pool. However, I'm not guaranteeing that. Reasons an army might get modified or dropped altogether include but are not limited to:
  • I screwed up and accidentally put a primary restricted unit in there, which would make it illegal by my own rules.
  • I screwed up and accidentally put in more copies of a unit than I actually own.
  • I screwed up and put the same unit in two different armies but I don't have two of that unit (and/or two cards).
  • Someone who's riding in my car decides they want to bring that army (or another army using those units) as their primary army.
  • Anyone here speaks up and says "ewww! that's a terrible army! don't bring that one."

Anywho, as Joel was wont to say at the end of MST3K: what do you think, sirs?

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 23rd, 2018, 03:59 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'll look at those more later, but so far I noticed you used the Krav Maga in the League of Assasins who are restricted.

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day