Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old August 28th, 2009, 02:43 AM

nbxfan has disabled reputation
Re: Dominion.

I am a bit confused as to how the game gets setup. I have read the rules but not opened the cards. Waiting to do that at "game night" this weekend. What I don't get is for the Kingdom Cards area, do you litterally put out a stack of 10 of the same card? (unless the garden) This means that the curses don't get used during some games then? It mentions buying curses but, usually that doesn't happen. So, if you buy a curse and put it into your deck, does it affect you or, do you play it on someone else?

We're on the right trail. Flies and the undead go together like bullets and guns.
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbxfan View Post
I am a bit confused as to how the game gets setup. I have read the rules but not opened the cards. Waiting to do that at "game night" this weekend. What I don't get is for the Kingdom Cards area, do you litterally put out a stack of 10 of the same card? (unless the garden) This means that the curses don't get used during some games then? It mentions buying curses but, usually that doesn't happen. So, if you buy a curse and put it into your deck, does it affect you or, do you play it on someone else?

Yes, you will have 10 stacks of 10 cards each. Each stack will be 10 of the exact same card. You will put out victory point cards equal to whatever number it says for the number of players you are playing with. Curse cards effect you. There is really no reason to buy them. Some cards in Intrigue will allow another player to trash one of your cards and purchase a new one for you. That's the only time I've ever seen Curses purchased. Or when I feel like being a jerk and gloating that I can buy curses and still win...

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumline3469 View Post

Yes, you will have 10 stacks of 10 cards each. Each stack will be 10 of the exact same card. You will put out victory point cards equal to whatever number it says for the number of players you are playing with. Curse cards effect you. There is really no reason to buy them. Some cards in Intrigue will allow another player to trash one of your cards and purchase a new one for you. That's the only time I've ever seen Curses purchased. Or when I feel like being a jerk and gloating that I can buy curses and still win...
Ok, thanks. I also purchased the promo cards and thought that I was only getting one of each which is why I was confused. Apparently the promo cards come in sets of tens and a randomizer card.

We're on the right trail. Flies and the undead go together like bullets and guns.
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:55 AM

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumline3469 View Post

Ok, thanks. I also purchased the promo cards and thought that I was only getting one of each which is why I was confused. Apparently the promo cards come in sets of tens and a randomizer card.
Yep! Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Hope you have fun!

Old August 28th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Man. I need some down time so I can show Dominion to my friends who haven't played it yet. Maybe during PAX.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Played our first game tonight. Everyone liked it but we did run into an issue we couldn't find an answer too.

Someone played Throne Room, allowing their next action to be played twice. They then played, I believe it was, Mining Village which has an either this action or that action. One being +1 Card +2 Action or Destroy the card and get +2 money. The player wanted to take +2 money and then another +2 money. The discussion occurred as to if this could be allowed. As the card would be trashed upon the first use, would it be able to be used a second time. Based on the wording we decided that the answer was no. However, no one was overly satisfied if this was done correctly. So looking for what others think. Thanks.

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Played our first game tonight. Everyone liked it but we did run into an issue we couldn't find an answer too.

Someone played Throne Room, allowing their next action to be played twice. They then played, I believe it was, Mining Village which has an either this action or that action. One being +1 Card +2 Action or Destroy the card and get +2 money. The player wanted to take +2 money and then another +2 money. The discussion occurred as to if this could be allowed. As the card would be trashed upon the first use, would it be able to be used a second time. Based on the wording we decided that the answer was no. However, no one was overly satisfied if this was done correctly. So looking for what others think. Thanks.
I think it would be allowed, because even though the card is trashed, you get to do the next action twice. It doesn't say that you need to still have the card. As says about HeroScape cards, do what the card says, not what it doesn't.

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Got to introduce Dominion to a couple of my friends yesterday also, and it was a rousing success. Best moment of the three games was counting up victory points at the end of the second game- the player who seemed to be winning through Province purchase announced they had 42 Victory points. I had gone for a Garden VP strategy, and momentarily discovered I had 43 VP thanks to my 4 VP Gardens. I through my hands up in celebration just as the last player announced he had 50 VP. >< He didn't have as many gardens, but his were worth 5 VP apiece, and he had a few Provinces to rely on as well. Was a surprise ending, and a great cap to a good game.

Had a run also were I played something like Market, Village, Smithy, Cellar, Market, Cellar, Village, Cellar, Woodshop, and Mine, I think. Always awesome to go through half your deck in a single turn. Better if you end with a Chancellor, but he wasn't available in that game.

Old August 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Sounds like you need to get Intrigue if you like going through your deck. Great Hall/Nobles/Conspirator decks are pretty hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I think it would be allowed, because even though the card is trashed, you get to do the next action twice. It doesn't say that you need to still have the card. As says about HeroScape cards, do what the card says, not what it doesn't.

Jim

That's exactly what I said but, they preferred the other interpretation based on wording from the book. We may have to discuss that further in our group. It stopped the game for 10-15 minutes as we tried to figure out the right thing to do. Technically had he been able to pick up the extra gold, he would have ended up winning a round or two later as he had planned to buy a VP card. That wasn't the contention as it was an after thought when he mentioned why he wanted to do it when we started up again.

Regardless, after reading the next post, winning with 40+ points...I won with a measely 10 points as three stacks of supply cards emptied while only one 6 point VP card had been taken the entire game.

Old August 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Sounds like you need to get Intrigue if you like going through your deck. Great Hall/Nobles/Conspirator decks are pretty hilarious.
Funny you say that. I bought Dominion because Drumline introduced me to the game at GenCon- and he also showed me Intrigue the same night. What'd we run that game? Saboteurs, Theives(Not Intrigue), and a host of expensive cards with only one option for extra actions? It was a painful (though admittedly hilarious) game. So hard to make money, and so easy for your value to be stolen/destroyed. It was terrible! I decided I never wanted my friends to have access to that kind of power.*

* Actually I just couldn't afford both Dominion and the Expansion. I'll get Intrigue eventually, but not before I've squeezed Dominion nearly dry, which will take awhile.

Old August 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Jim

That's exactly what I said but, they preferred the other interpretation based on wording from the book. We may have to discuss that further in our group. It stopped the game for 10-15 minutes as we tried to figure out the right thing to do. Technically had he been able to pick up the extra gold, he would have ended up winning a round or two later as he had planned to buy a VP card. That wasn't the contention as it was an after thought when he mentioned why he wanted to do it when we started up again.

Regardless, after reading the next post, winning with 40+ points...I won with a measely 10 points as three stacks of supply cards emptied while only one 6 point VP card had been taken the entire game.
My copy is in my trunk, but doesn't Throne Room say "The player play an action CARD twice"? It doesn't say take the action twice, it merely says play the card twice, I thought.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games