Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old April 26th, 2019, 07:21 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Soontir seems fine to me

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old April 26th, 2019, 09:09 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Let's have another look.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 27th, 2019, 04:37 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I think this should turn out better.
Old April 27th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I'm pretty happy with the changes to Soontir.

to review Soontir Van.

With that, Soontir Van has received 4 Yea votes to review (Soundwarp SG-1, capsocrates, superfrog, and Scytale) and moves forward in the process.
Old April 28th, 2019, 12:27 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Wait, what's Soontir Fel doing here?

Wait, wrong Soontir. XD
Old May 1st, 2019, 01:55 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I am stepping down after a very brief stint as SoV judge. At the time of my candidacy I had regular playing partners and a stable worklife (that sometimes even included HeroScape). At the moment, my play partners have switched to addictive pc gaming and I will be moving twice in the next 9 months, meaning my HeroScape will be in storage for a while.

I apologize for not having achieved more and will continue to look in every so often.

Tchüß!

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:41 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I am stepping down after a very brief stint as SoV judge. At the time of my candidacy I had regular playing partners and a stable worklife (that sometimes even included HeroScape). At the moment, my play partners have switched to addictive pc gaming and I will be moving twice in the next 9 months, meaning my HeroScape will be in storage for a while.

I apologize for not having achieved more and will continue to look in every so often.

Tchüß!
Sorry to see you go. Hopefully you'll still be able to be active in the community. I myself am victim to the PC, and other gaming scenes, and frequently jump between hobbies. Heroscape is a constant though, and even after major video game releases, I'm always excited for the next VC release, and my own potential VC designs.

Out of curiosity, will you be finishing up your reviews of the 3 designs you were still testing?
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:35 AM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Thank you for your contributions, Tai-Pan, and best of luck in your future endeavors.

We will be looking to replace Tai-Pan with another Judge. It's been a while so it's time for another contest. Anyone interested in becoming an SoV Judge (and get access to the C3V Inner Sanctum) may apply.

To apply, playtest one (or more) of the units currently being judged by the SoV. Write up a full review, including a vote, and send it to me via PM. The current Judges will review the submissions and pick the newest member of our team.

We do not expect you to do the extensive testing required of a real SoV review or express deep insight into the unit in your writeup. We will be looking for a sense of what you are looking for when playtesting and your ability to judge fairly.

All submissions must be sent to me via PM by end of day May 31st. You may submit multiple reviews (though doing so does not necessarily increase your chances). If you have submitted a contest review in the past and you would like to use that as your submission, let me know via PM and I'll pull it out of our archives.
Old May 1st, 2019, 11:37 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Thanks for your time as a judge, Tai-Pan.

I'm excited for a new wave of judge entries. Always good to get some fresh blood in our Sanctum.

EDIT: Anybody should feel free to apply. All it takes is an eye for a good design, some playtesting skills, and enough time.

Don't worry about community standing or anything like that. Many of us were relatively unknown when we started. I was a 6-month newb myself.
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:49 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I was a 6-month newb myself.
And now you've been here more than 6 months!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:51 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I was a 6-month newb myself.
And now you've been here more than 6 months!
I've been an SoV judge for longer than I've known my wife!
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:03 PM

Lilja by @Lamaclown

Once there was a clumsy wizard who decided to make a golem made of glass. That's pretty much the end of the story.

Balance

The Ogre Pulverizer makes for a decent comparison point as a similarly-priced Double Attack of 4. Same Life, but Lilja has better Defense initially. That evens out after a couple hits, though, and then it gets worse for Glassy. So fairly even there. Shards is a nice auto-wound ability, and even though it takes dying to fire off it's better than Lumbering Bully. The Pulverizer has the edge in the synergy department, but Lilja has an extra point of Move. Overall I'd say Lilja is a fair bit better. Fifteen points doesn't seem like a big difference, but the 100 point class is far different than the 120 point sweet spot, and I don't think Lilja is on the same level as the likes of Krug, the Fen Hydra, and Kaemon Awa. So 115 points seems about right.

Theme

This is a design that plays directly to its core concept: a construct made of glass. Ok, Double Attack is not, but that's a pretty standard way of giving units the ability to fight squads, and it fits with the two blade arms. A glass contruct cracking from damage until finally shattering violently is a great mental image. I could be nitpicky and say that a Golem should be Uncommon (can't you just make more?), but I'm happy enough imagining this lovely lady was some artificer's pet project.

Creativity

Taking the neat "shattering glass" concept and turning it into a valuable game effect is a design victory. The two powers are simple to understand yet add some interesting tactics to gameplay. While there are some similar units, Lilja plays differently and looks great on the battlefield. "Resolute" is the only bit that almost gives me pause, but I don't have a real complaint.

Playability

Lilja's usefulness is pretty simple: charge in, tie up as many figures as possible, and hack away until she shatters. It's not as simple as that when you actually play her, though. It doesn't take long to realize how fragile Glassy really is; that 5 Defense is misleading. Half of the time she's only at 2. She may hold out a bit at first, but the damage snowballs quickly.

Which means she needs to be played more delicately, at least at first. Her solid double attack is pretty good at taking down units on the edge of the fight. While doing so, the opponent is likely to be gunshy about rushing in to fight her, fearing what happens when she shatters, all the more so when she's weakened. Breaking down Lilja without overcommitting to fighting her makes for an interesting game.

Of course, this is only really true with melee units. Range has little to fear from Shards, though Lilja's speed can alleviate that to an extent. She can even be annoying for range armies with screens, as Shards can blast a hole in a good screen.

Lilja can be used as a defender, at least to an extent, most notably in a Talingul army. Though a single unit doesn't make for a great screen, and plenty of other big constructs can fill that role as well. In a Talingul army I found Lilja to be my main workhorse, with consistent offensive output that can take on heroes or squads, good movement, and the ability to mess up opponents' strategy due to fear of Shards.

Summary

Lilja is a very nice design that both plays well and is very thematic. She forces opponents to make some difficult decisions, often leading to having to change strategies to work around her, without being in any way overwhelming. A decent unit in her own right, and an excellent addition to a Talingul army.

I vote Yea to induct Lilja into the SoV.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs