Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old January 20th, 2007, 02:55 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
I need help painting

I picked up my second Master Set a couple of days ago and figured that now was as good of a time as any to start painting. I've actually already painted most of the figures. All that remain are all 6 Vikings, Grimnak, Zettian Guards, and Deathwalker 9000. I've saved these for last because they seem the hardest to me.

A little explanation:
I've never painted anything before I started painting these guys. I only bought three colors, because I wasn't sure if this was something I could really get into. Things have gone pretty well so far. I drybrushed all of the Marros purple. I painted Mimring solid black and drybrushed his torso purple after that dried. The samurai are now black and purple instead of red and white. I gave Syvarris red chain mail, then dry brushed black on top of it, his cloak is black, and his bow is purple. There are others, but those are the best.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer me a few tips on how to get the most out of my paint.
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:25 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Not really, just keep trying.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:40 AM

Lex has disabled reputation
You need to pick up some primary colors.

Red,Blue and Yellow.

You could repaint the symbols on the souborgs black and make their hull red.

The vikings you could stain their swords with blood.

Grimnak hmm.....

Uh you could paint the dino part red and I'd keep the orc the same.

Hope this helps.

"I was once eaten by a krug... It spit me out... I guess I don't taste very good."

Old January 21st, 2007, 01:48 AM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
Just out of curiousity, what sort (brand/type) of paint are you using?

I would suggest, if you're not using them already, to go to your local Wal-Mart and pick up some Apple Barrel acrylic craft paint. It's dirt cheap (.47 a bottle) and is great paint. It's what I use.

Now, there are better paints out there, but they're signifigantly more expensive. Apple Barrel, for me, has been pretty much on par with Citadel paints (I used to use Citadel exclusively, until someone lead me to Apple Barrel). Of course, there aren't inks, nor as many colors to choose from, but Apple Barrel paint mixes very easily.

I would also echo Lex, you need some primary colors. There's not much you can do with the colors you have that you haven't already done. They don't mix into new colors, just darker shades of what you already have.

I say get: Yellow, White, Blue, and some Brown color (preferably several different shades). You're looking at a 4 dollar, at most, investment.

Hope this helps.

smallboxgames.com
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:12 AM

django is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
just get a set of testors enamel model car paints(so you have all primary colors) and a bottle of testors air brush thinner,and some little trays to mix it up in.put a few drops of the thinner and a few more of the paint mix it up.it will not be clumpy if you do it right works great cheap too.

Ądn sʇɐɥʍ
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:04 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
I just finished all of the figures. The vikings didn't turn out as bad as I thought they would, but their clothes were mostly black. Grimnak's dinosaur was painted black with very little red drybrushed on (looks pretty cool). Grimnak himself now has purple armor (Pimpnak).

I really do need to buy more paint. The real issue is in getting to Walmart in order to buy it. I'm using FolkArt for the red and purple (I couldn't find Apple Barrel), and I'm using Apple Barrel for the black (I already had it). Are there metallic-looking paints I could buy? I kind of want to give a squad of knights golden armor and give samurai golden swords (maybe give my next Finn repaint a real sword?).

I think for my first 30 paintjobs, they turned out pretty well. I might post a few pictures if I can get my roommate's camera working.

Thank you for all the advice, I will take it into consideration.
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:05 AM

JpX has disabled reputation
Do you guys lay a clear cote ontop of the paint afterwards? To prevent water damage and stuff, and if so what kind and where do you get it? (price would be nice too).

For me I use acrilic paint that my mom had left over from some crafts she did a few years ago. She has a butt load of colors to so I got lucky with that.

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM

dvalhalla has disabled reputation
I use a multi-purpose sealer. You can usually find it next to the paints. I got a 8 oz bottle for about $3 at Michaels, an arts and crafts store. It's real easy to use. Just use a paintbrush and apply it over a painted figure. My 3-step process is fairly easy: paint, let dry, and seal. The sealer locks in the colors and gives them a 'pop'. Good luck.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM

JpX has disabled reputation
ok cool, Thanks for the info

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
I use Krylon Spray Matte Finish.

As for metal colors, I use DecoArt Metalics. They are a little on the thick side, so I normally thin it down a bit.

I would suggest staying away from Testors, as they aren't really for minis, and are very glossy and thick.

smallboxgames.com
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:04 PM
GW Bush's

So the sealers will make it so the paint won't chip as easily, and will make it slightly shiny (like how the figures originally look)?
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM

dvalhalla has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtog
So the sealers will make it so the paint won't chip as easily, and will make it slightly shiny (like how the figures originally look)?
Yep.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards