Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Maps & Scenarios
Marvel Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios built primarily for Marvel terrain and figures.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Battlefields of Marvel (BoM) Discussion Thread

My issue has been we struggled getting quality maps without having to significantly redesign (which then kicked the person who helped out of the voting process).

If we were to start this up again, I think it would be better to have challenges. For example, submit your versions for the Bat Cave, or a chemical company, etc.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

[quote=peteparkerh;1020240]My issue has been we struggled getting quality maps without having to significantly redesign (which then kicked the person who helped out of the voting process).
quote]

I think this was kind of doomed at the start with the no Marvelscape previews coming out, and with the final nails in the coffin being no info has been put out.

People just aren't that excited for Marvelscape without a wave 1 at the very least, and therefore not wanting to build marvel based maps.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
No posts since September seems to speak pretty loudly to me ... I'd love to see it resurrected, but it's not something I'm going to undertake myself.
Once I get to Ala Cart, I will have more time for other interests, and one of those interests are Marvel Maps and Scenarios. I agree with Cav that you need to be more inclusive for multiple terrain sets when building maps than the BoV, and I have some ideas to make it happen. Our community has a huge need for Super maps IMO, and there are some great designers already on here. I plan on trying to jump start a new collaborative project for Marvel Maps soon... very soon.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Sounds promising - I'll be watching for updates on this.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Me too!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:47 PM

Vydar is the man knows what's in an order marker Vydar is the man knows what's in an order marker

I'm all in if we restart this.

-Vitm

Do Good, Don't Suck. -PHS Stage Crew
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
No posts since September seems to speak pretty loudly to me ... I'd love to see it resurrected, but it's not something I'm going to undertake myself.
Once I get to Ala Cart, I will have more time for other interests, and one of those interests are Marvel Maps and Scenarios. I agree with Cav that you need to be more inclusive for multiple terrain sets when building maps than the BoV, and I have some ideas to make it happen. Our community has a huge need for Super maps IMO, and there are some great designers already on here. I plan on trying to jump start a new collaborative project for Marvel Maps soon... very soon.
I'm in, if you need the help. I tend to include one Forest set and a set of water tiles to make a city park. The road spaces make the walkways in the park, and the many double grass tiles with the water and trees complete it. I have also used swamp water for sewer water.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:48 PM

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

I am familiar with you guys' maps, and I personally think they are awesome, and I am looking forward to working with you.

We could get the ball rolling a bit by discussing what I think is the first decision to be made.

Would we want to pump life back into this project or would we want to start something new?

I am very interested in what the community thinks about this as well.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

I think there was a lot of merit to what this project attempted. But I think Pete nailed the problem, as I saw it from an outsider's perspective - it became a collaborative map building project with the process of an impartial judging project.

This intersects with something I've been thinking about lately, something that I think you all in the customs community do well - could we have a collaborative map making project that would take a map from concept to complete? It could give aspiring map builders an opportunity to have their work critiqued and improved and could result in some specific builds that would serve the needs of the comic and custom community. I'm not sure what exactly that might look like but I'd sure as heck like to be a part of something like that.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
This intersects with something I've been thinking about lately, something that I think you all in the customs community do well - could we have a collaborative map making project that would take a map from concept to complete? It could give aspiring map builders an opportunity to have their work critiqued and improved and could result in some specific builds that would serve the needs of the comic and custom community. I'm not sure what exactly that might look like but I'd sure as heck like to be a part of something like that.
All good stuff as usual Mad Wookiee. I think that I would like to discuss what those needs are.

BoV have and are continuing to produce solid and well playtested maps. Bunjee and Elstree are part of my gaming community and I have talked with them and even helped with the testing of some of the BoV maps. It is a long and painstaking effort to accomplish what they do, and I am not interested in doing that, nor does the community need a crappy version of BoV.

Scenarios are fun and exciting, especially to those involved in creating them, but most players never consider playing others scenarios because they will ultimately end up creating their own anyways. So I am not oppose to working on Scenarios but I don't think that is the big need that our community has.

Fun skirmish maps that are thematic and epic and especially designed for Super Hero battles is exactly what this community needs more of. A collection of fun maps that a group or father/son team can build and have a super hero blow out is something that I am interested in, and I believe would also be greatly appreciated by Marvel fans, custom fans, C3G fans, custom designers, and maybe even some Classic Scape elitists who are looking to try something new. Throw in some special rules that are optional and a map bio, and people will be downloading maps left and right to create their own scenario, use in a Super Tournament, or just play some fun games with a Super Hero flare.

Obviously I am mostly in favor of working on the fun casual maps, but what do you guys think? What kind of maps would you want most out of a collaborative map project?
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!

I think maps that highlight certain landscape concepts would be nice. Think of "sets," as in film sets.

A "desert" map, with "secret base" over which the heroes can fight, has a nice comic book feel to it. A Swarm of the Marro set provides the necessary sand, and a Marvel set gives you the complex. Throw in a castle set if needed. The eight water tiles can be a nearby spring or oasis that supplies water to the complex. You might even want to have some desert mountains for the Hulk to leap around (a la the Ang Lee movie).

The old city park concept can be made with just one road set and one marvel set. Add water if desired.

A sewer map uses swamp water tiles and some ladder pieces. Think narrow sewer tunnels, with a few bigger chambers. The Lizard would fight in such an environment.

A Savage Land for Magneto would use Ticalla Jungle and a Swarm set. A volcano can be thrown in for good measure.

The Blue Area of the Moon would use the Marvel tiles to represent moon rock. Black tiles would represent the maria (lowlands) while light tiles would represent the highlands. A crater or two could be made by having the black tiles depressed. If you really want, use the shadow tiles and just pretend they are non-special terrain for level 0.

Overall, if we create these "movie sets," we have standard comic book battlefields that are the stock backdrops for comic stories. This is just my opinion, but I think it would be cool to create several "archetypal" maps.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:24 PM

I like all of your concepts Taeblewalker. Do you think that if we decided to form a collaborative map making group, that you would want our mission to be to create these "archetypal" maps? Because that is what I am looking for as well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Maps & Scenarios