Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old August 9th, 2020, 12:18 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: AOTV General Discussion - Pod 2 starting soon!

OK, that does make sense. And in that case I think I agree we shouldn't do anything with the first couple Pods of units that are already past that stage. Do we want to implement it beginning with Pod 2, then?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 11th, 2020, 04:49 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I definitely think a “public feedback phase” would be helpful, and having it occur right after design and right before editing definitely makes the most sense.

I also think that Pod 2 would be a great place to start with the review process. I do have a couple thoughts about how I’d like to see such a step ideally implemented.

First, just a small thing, but I think that calling it the “Public Feedback Phase” rather than “Public Review Phase” may do a better job of setting the proper expectations for what we’re looking for.

I’d also want to give some thought as to what the best way to present the designs would be. I’m not sure we necessarily want to ask for feedback in the figure threads themselves? It might be better to create new “Public Feedback Threads” within a new subforum dedicated specifically to the public feedback process. This would allow us to keep the feedback discussion separate from the “internal” design discussion, and would also be easier for the public to navigate, I imagine.

I also think it’s essential that people have a firm understanding of the specific design goals that we have for these figures. Namely,

1. To be compatible with Classic/Official Heroscape, and completely VC-compliant: that is, designing with C3V and SoV figures in mind, and focusing on the AOTP figures that would be acceptable to SoV (figures that are pre-painted or usable without paint).

2. To provide an affordable and user-friendly entry point to both new and returning players, that captures the feel of a true Master Set.

3. To create balanced units that are relatively simple, easy to understand, and feel at home in a self-contained set together. Units will come from a wide range of themes, and capture the diversity of theme Heroscape is beloved for.

Point number 2 is I think the most likely to be overlooked by someone just casually offering feedback. Designing an excellent concept as part of a master set is fairly different than what c3v or SoV do, and I think that emphasizing this aspect of our mission will be helpful in focusing the feedback and curtailing feedback that may be very helpful when looking at the design as a standalone concept, but not as part of a master set.
Old August 13th, 2020, 04:23 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
I also think it’s essential that people have a firm understanding of the specific design goals that we have for these figures. Namely,

1. To be compatible with Classic/Official Heroscape, and completely VC-compliant: that is, designing with C3V and SoV figures in mind, and focusing on the AOTP figures that would be acceptable to SoV (figures that are pre-painted or usable without paint).

2. To provide an affordable and user-friendly entry point to both new and returning players, that captures the feel of a true Master Set.

3. To create balanced units that are relatively simple, easy to understand, and feel at home in a self-contained set together. Units will come from a wide range of themes, and capture the diversity of theme Heroscape is beloved for.

Point number 2 is I think the most likely to be overlooked by someone just casually offering feedback. Designing an excellent concept as part of a master set is fairly different than what c3v or SoV do, and I think that emphasizing this aspect of our mission will be helpful in focusing the feedback and curtailing feedback that may be very helpful when looking at the design as a standalone concept, but not as part of a master set.

This part is key, helping people to understand the frame of mind we're designing them in. If we make that clear, I'm good to go.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 10:02 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm good with changing the name to "Public Feedback Phase." It more accurately conveys what we're going for, I think.

Creating new threads for people to give public feedback is an interesting idea. On the one hand, I do agree that it'd be good to get feedback from a fresh set of eyes that aren't tinted by the past development process, but that also involves setting up several more threads. I do worry about essentially spamming new threads that will only see use for a week, especially since we don't have any Site Admins on the team. My preference would be to keep the public feedback in the same thread as the rest of the design work, and let people read through the pages of designing if they choose to.

Specifying our goals each time we ask for public feedback is a good idea. It's easy to forget the mindset that this project requires. We can draft up a copy and paste-able blurb to post in each thread when we start the Public Feedback Phase, which includes our core set of goals and asks that commenters remember them.
Old August 24th, 2020, 05:13 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think maybe one megathread we can link to, which describes the goals of the project and the public feedback phase, would be good. That thread would link to each design thread.
Old August 24th, 2020, 06:12 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Meant to comment on this here and not just the Discord. I'm fine with a public feedback phase, and after initial designs plus starting with Pod 2 are both good ideas. I do think, in addition to reiterating the project's goals, we make sure it's clear we're soliciting feedback on the units/how they seem to fit in the project as a whole, not asking for (re)designs nor necessarily going to make changes based on feedback (taken into account, of course, but no guarantee of anything).

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 26th, 2020, 03:54 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think the public feedback should happen in the unit's thread. Not sure if something else is being proposed or not.

I'm on board with this proposal otherwise. I would be interested in seeing feedback, particularly from VC members, on Pod 0 and Pod 1 designs as well.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 27th, 2020, 05:37 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

It sounds like pretty much everyone is on board with the idea. We could hold a vote for formality's sake if we want to, but my impression is that everyone's in support of the idea (I'd still like to hear from All Your Pie and Scytale, along with any of the Pod 1 members, but it has nearly been a month already).

Updating the proposal:

I propose that we amend our official process as follows: insert a PUBLIC FEEDBACK PHASE after 1. DESIGN PHASE and before 2. EDITING PHASE, with the following description:
Quote:
Once a pod is satisfied with the design of the unit and has voted to move it forward, the thread will enter a state of public review. For 1 week, outside feedback is openly encouraged on the unit. Anyone is welcome to leave their thoughts on the unit, even people not regularly involved in the project (we'd love to hear from everyone!). The pod is not under any obligations to make changes to the unit, but public feedback can be useful to know how people are feeling overall. Once the week is up, the pod members can make a majority vote to either continue forward to Editing or return back to Design.
Once a unit moves into the Public Feedback Phase, the Pod Leader that owns the thread will update the title and post the following blurb as a new post in their thread:
Quote:
It is time to welcome public feedback on this thread! We're always open to feedback, but this is when we specifically are asking you for your opinion on a unit! We're interested in getting outsider thoughts on the unit in the main post of this thread so that we can catch any potential errors and make the most polished units possible.

We do ask that all commenters keep in mind the core goals of the AotV project when giving their feedback. For reference, they are:

Quote:

These tenants of the project are important cornerstones for each design. Although other units can be very complex or otherwise rely on other units that they were not packaged with, that is not within the scope of this project.

Each unit should be interesting when compared only against the rest of AotV; they should still be exciting when taken out of the box, but we are assuming that this is an entry-level product for the game. Think of the original Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set, before any expansions were added, and when all of the units were just standalone unique characters.

That said, we welcome your feedback now, and we'd love to hear what you think about this unit! The Public Feedback Phase in this thread will end on <Insert Date Here>, unless otherwise noted.
Any thoughts on the above blurb or general outline?
Old September 10th, 2020, 12:09 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I really like this updated proposal. I don't see anything that needs to be changed. Excited to see this officially implemented
Old September 10th, 2020, 08:32 PM

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 11th, 2020, 04:56 PM

Looks great to me!
Old September 12th, 2020, 01:34 PM

It sounds like we have everyone mostly in agreement. I'll wait a couple of days to give @All Your Pie and @Scytale a chance to chime in if they have any thoughts to share on the proposal, but otherwise I think that we should implement the new phase immediately.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs