Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old April 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Sertorius is surprisingly tart
Re: Sertorius and Typhon2222's Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I really like them. The cards look good, the powers are thematic, and together they bring something new to the game. The special, when possible, sets the table for the squads, either by clearing a screen or just by organizing opponent's pieces in a way that they are more accessible for the slow (but nimble) Raiders.
Thanks for the feedback, D_S. Your work for today is done.

Any thoughts on the Dragonspawn group? I am really looking forward to playtesting those guys.
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Here are the new and hopefully improved Lakaien of Clan Esenwein.

The Lakaien (German for "lackeys") were developed to fill some perceived gaps in the vampire family. Being a common squad, they provide much-needed manpower: now it's possible to form a complete and unified army around the Esenwein clan. They also reduce the vampires' order marker nightmares, and give Sonya, Iskra, and the Rechets more to do.

LAKAIEN OF CLAN ESENWEIN
Uses the Changeling Rogue from the D&D Miniatures line (Unhallowed).

Changes:
- reduced squad size to 3.
- increased cost to 90.
- radically revised their bonding system.
- struck their previous shadow ambush special, and replaced it with an attack bonus dependent on proximity to an Esenwein hero.

I worry they may still be too cheap. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Typhon2222; April 25th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Two new units.

The mushrooms! One of our kookier concepts. These reclusive and peaceful fungi rely on numbers and reproduction to survive. May prove difficult to fine-tune, but much fun will be had finding out.

THE CIRCLE ELDER
Uses the Deathcap from the D&D Miniatures line (Demonweb).

MYCONID CIRCLE WARDENS
Uses the Myconid Guard from the D&D Miniatures line (Aberrations).
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Five new units. Very excited about this army.

The March of the Ents! Three treant heroes and two bonding squads to accompany them. This army allows for great flexibility in drafting, and should offer lots of strategic options.

ALDWOOD
Uses the Treant from the D&D Miniatures line (Giants of Legend).

MURKWOOD
Uses the Blackroot Treant from the D&D Miniatures line (Against the Giants).

GNARLED GROVETENDER
Uses the Wizened Elder Watcher from the D&D Miniatures line (War of the Dragon Queen).

STUMP WARRIORS
Uses the Wood Woad from the D&D Miniatures line (Deathknell).

SYLVAN STALKERS
Uses the Black Woods Dryad from the D&D Miniatures line (Desert of Desolation).
Old April 27th, 2011, 03:05 AM

Sertorius is surprisingly tart

We played two games of playtesting tonight with a heavy dose of customs.

First Game 500 pts
Mont (Typhon2222): Moltenclaw and Redspawn Flamecasters
Sean: Ibixian Ridge Raiders and Herd Chief Baabas

versus

John (Sertorius): The Beholders: Ormathulak the Eye Tyrant, Drokalraxa the Death Tyrant, Ixiniphonth the Eye of Frost, and Gzemixilak the Bloodkiss Orb (try to say that 10 times really fast).
Rune: The Reaper King, two squads of Equiceph Bonechargers, and a horde of Skeleton Pikemen and Skeleton Slashers.

This game was pretty lopsided from the start, due to my getting the powerful Eye Tyrant killed in the first round. Oops. Because of that, not a lot of useful information was gathered about his re-balancing. The Eye of Frost and the Bloodkiss Orb need their powerful cousin to be viable into the middle game. More testing needed, next time with the two big boys. I already think that as a group, they could be reduced in price slightly (believe it or not). One problem is that we forgot to apply their Antimagic Field, so Moltenclaw did an unknown amount of damage to them when he shouldn't have. Oops. These guys are fun, but complicated. For experts only!

Redspawn Flamecasters are very strong. Note to self: Moltenclaw and 3 Redspawns in range can probably kill any hero in one turn, especially with height for the Redspawns. We might decide that the Redspawns go up in price, or maybe down to 2 defense or 2 range on the Fire Shot. They would be very scary on a map covered in lava fields.
Moltenclaw eventually fell to a combination of skeleton and beholder attacks and did not kill his point value. Moltenclaw is also very unpleasant for a line of puny skeletons, but we already knew that. What is nice is that the Redspawns, unlike Greenscales, are still viable without their Dragon.

The Ibixians seemed great. Balanced, and I think their price is right. Their Surefooted 3 ability is extremely powerful on choppy terrain. Unfortunately, Baabas did not get a chance to toss a bunch of skeletons around with his Hammer Smash. Next time. I don't think they need any changes.

The skeleton hordes are pretty strong. The Skeleton Slashers killed a lot of Ibixians, considering they cost 10 points each(!) right now. Their Cruel Slash ability might be overpowered for the price. Something less interesting, like Disengage, might be better. The Skellie Pikemen did not really get into the fight -- they are very slow at 4 movement. More testing needed for them. We also wonder if Skeletal Form, which all our Skellies have, is too strong. I think it is okay, but Typhon suggests we reduce the defensive bonus to +1 (from +2). The Equiceph Bonechargers never moved in this game (too much fun with Skeletons).

Second Game
Mont (Typhon2222): The Reaper King, Skeleton Archers, and Crypt Reapers.
Sean: Mezzodemons and their new reverse-bonding hero, Abyssal Impaler.

versus

John (Sertorius): Cyprien, Sonya, Marcu, Iskra, the Rechets, and the Lakaien of Clan Esenwein.
Rune: The Plants! Murkwood, Aldwood (already calling this guy Treebeard), one Gnarled Grovetender, and 2 squads of Sylvan Stalkers.

The Skeleton Archers seem pretty fun. Their combine attack is versatile, and is much better than the stupid Roman Archers. As expected, they don't hold up well to...well, any kind of melee attack. They killed a good number of the Sylvan Stalkers. I don't have any revisions for them...maybe Typhon will have some suggestions. Crypt Reapers didn't get into the fight until the end, when they promptly killed Cyprien with a stellar attack roll and an equally-not-stellar defense.

The mezzodemons are much better with their spikey demon-dog companion. He got himself killed by some Stalkers and Cyprien after a few rounds -- he may have run up too far. He didn't get a chance to use his Chitonous Regeneration. More testing needed, but he seems solid and certainly not overpowered.

The Plants... they seem great. The treants lend a brand new and interesting mechanic into the game, which is welcome (pat on own back). The Stalkers Sylvan Strike ability is a little hard to organize at first, but is not overpowered by any means and lots of fun. Aldwood got up on the central height early and Put Down Roots. We kept forgetting to give the Stalkers his +1/+1 aura once roots were down, but that's ok. Murkwood was not so useful, mainly because his sculpt is rather...awkward and he didn't get to Trample much. He's a little squishy with only 5 life, but Rune was rolling with 5 defense dice once he got Murkwood next to Aldwood, and just rolled horribly. I think he's fine. No revisions on the Treants. The Stalkers...they got their butts kicked pretty thoroughly by mezzodemons and skeleton archers, even with their bonus vs ranged when next to trees. Not being able to KILL the mezzodemons may have contributed. I wonder if they could be 3/2 instead of 3/1 and still be 80 points for 4-squad?

Finally, the Lakaien. I don't know what to say about these guys. First, there is a problem if they do their bonding thing with Marcu -- if Marcu bonds, he doesn't have to roll for Eternal Hatred. That's probably something that needs to be fixed, since Marcu is considered (so they say?) to be overpowered already? In the game, I never moved a single Lakaien (had two squads of 3). That defeats the purpose of them a little bit. Right now all they've accomplished is giving the player more flexibility in moving Cyprien or not moving Cyprien. Probably not a good thing. On the other hand, I kept 6 figures in the start zone that could have been Flying 4/4 if near an Esenwein. I just don't know. I/we might have to shelve these guys for a while in favor of more promising creations.
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

If you're taking a turn with Marcu, you roll for Eternal Hatred. The fact that he's taking a turn because of the effect of some other card doesn't change what's written in his left hand box.

You still roll.

Regardless, I think shelving the Lakaiens might be a good idea while you focus your efforts on some of your other customs in development.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post

If you're taking a turn with Marcu, you roll for Eternal Hatred. The fact that he's taking a turn because of the effect of some other card doesn't change what's written in his left hand box.

You still roll.

Really D_S? I'm confused, because Marcu's Eternal Hatred begins with "After revealing an order marker on this card, you must roll the 20-sided die......" So we figured if Marcu was taking a turn because of bonding on some other card, with no order markers on Marcu himself, then his Eternal Hatred wasn't activated. (Which would be bad bad bad).

It seems a bit parallel to Mogrimm. You can take a turn with him through bonding with the Dwarves. But only if you put an order marker on him directly is his Combat Leader activated.
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Heh.

You're right, I'd forgotten he had the "after revealing" language.

Another reason to shelve those guys.

Carry on.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sertorius View Post
Redspawn Flamecasters are very strong. Note to self: Moltenclaw and 3 Redspawns in range can probably kill any hero in one turn, especially with height for the Redspawns. We might decide that the Redspawns go up in price, or maybe down to 2 defense or 2 range on the Fire Shot. They would be very scary on a map covered in lava fields.
Moltenclaw eventually fell to a combination of skeleton and beholder attacks and did not kill his point value. Moltenclaw is also very unpleasant for a line of puny skeletons, but we already knew that. What is nice is that the Redspawns, unlike Greenscales, are still viable without their Dragon.
Yesh, I can see several options for nerfing the Redspawn Flamecasters.
(a) Increase their price (pretty substantially).
(b) Decrease their Range from 3 to 2.
(c) Keep their Range at 3, but eliminate their Flame Shot ability.

I'm kinda leaning towards (b). I like their Flame Shot, because it makes them one of the few combo ranged/melee units in the game who are actually stronger at ranged (the reverse of, say, the Mohicans). Reducing their Range from 3 to 2 would reduce some of their effectiveness: they'd have a tougher time bringing their firepower to bear while still protecting Moltenclaw.
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:45 PM

jahosaphat knows what's in an order marker jahosaphat knows what's in an order marker

I noticed a lot of custom designers are using one figure three or four times to create a squad.

Wouldn't there only need to be one hit zone, for a squad with one sculpt, in that case?
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahosaphat View Post
I noticed a lot of custom designers are using one figure three or four times to create a squad.

Wouldn't there only need to be one hit zone in that case?
Heh, hadn't quite realized that. Probably true.

I guess it might serve as a handy reminder, though, of how many figures are in the squad? In case the main portrait pic isn't clear?

'Scape habits die hard.
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Keep the mutliple silhouettes! A single representation for a squad would look odd...it's worth the few extra minutes.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards