Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old June 24th, 2015, 01:34 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!
Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs: Cybercops (unique soulborg squad)

So obviously I added Morality Directive as a potential answer to the Rat problem, but I'm liking the unusual tactical situation that arises when the opponent has both "evil" and non-evil units in his army. Now he has a potential way to bypass their eventual Defense of 4 (or 6 with Raelin): he can force my Cybercops into taking leaving engagement attacks from his non-evil units by keeping his evil ones at the right distance, and I have to try to stay out of that trap.

It can put a whole new wrinkle on which units my opponent sends out first, based on which Generals they follow. Maybe a non-evil unit that he normally saves for cleanup becomes just the right hero or squad to run out there and make both attacks and forced passing swipes at the Cybercops (and my Cops can't even attack them back as long as the opponent keeps an evil unit within their threat range). Of course at some point, the Cops may finish off the bait and then turn around and tear the swipers a new one.

This ability to potentially "lead" the Cops around also helps break up the auras, since I can't count on my pod to remain stationary. More OMs are needed to keep the cheerleader following them around (assuming I can anticipate the timing correctly), which again makes it harder to recover when the Cops use their Reset.

Probably I've created some new considerations I haven't noticed yet, but so far I'm liking where this is headed.

As always, any constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old June 28th, 2015, 07:46 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!
Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs: Tikkerak (Aquilla spider hero)

TIKKERAK (Aquilla)
ARACHNID, UNIQUE HERO, PREDATOR, WILD, MEDIUM 3
3 LIFE
MOVE 7
RANGE 1
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 3
40 POINTS

CLIMB X2
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Tikkerak may double her height.

ENTANGLING WEB ENHANCEMENT
If a small, medium, or large opponent's figure is engaged with Tikkerak and at least two Fyorlag Spiders you control, you may choose that figure for the Fyorlag Spiders' Entangling Web power and may add 2 to your die roll when you roll for that power.

LIFE DRAIN
Each time Tikkerak destroys a figure, you may remove a wound marker from this Army Card. Tikkerak cannot Life Drain destructible objects.
The pricing strategy here was to make Tikkerak hot-swappable with a squad of Fyorlag Spiders in any build. Or, if you're wishing you had just one more squad of Fyorlags but don't want to cough up $25+ on eBay, maybe Tik can still make that build work for you. Her closest skill/cost comparison is probably Sonya, but in spite of their similarities these ladies are not substitutes for each other.

I'll be using a large (DW9K) single base; the legs will hang over the base a bit, but the overall figure will almost fit within the dimensions of a single hex. I don't foresee any denial issues. The size of Medium is not a typo; this is a very horizontal figure, and actually a bit bigger than many humans in the game. She's probably three times the size of a Fyorlag (which is why they can entangle large figures when she's helping them).

The miniature used for this unit is a Reaper figure from the Bones collection. Its name is 77025 Giant Spider ($2.49). The image on my army card is just a placeholder (FPO = For Position Only) that I hacked in Photoshop until I get my mini finished (Reaper Bones generally require painting). I plan to hit the whole thing with brown Krylon or Valspar, then darken the head & legtips and drybrush the back for a Fyorlaggy look.

As always, all constructive feedback is very much appreciated.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; November 11th, 2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: fixing obsolete image link
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:34 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

I like her a lot! Life Drain is an interesting choice, and fits really well here outside the vampire set. I've been tinkering with a similar spider hero -- perhaps the wording here could be of use?

Enhanced Web
When rolling for the Entangling Web special power on an Army Card you control, if you control at least one Fyorlag Predator Spider, add 1 to the result. This Fyorlag Predator Spider may be considered to be a Fyorlag Spider when using Entangling Web.
Mine is an Uncommon Hero, hence the "at least one" language so it doesn't stack. They are somewhat different powers, of course.
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:27 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Tikkerak
I don't have a great reference for how big she is. I know other cheap bonding squad options for the Fyorlag have had issues with SoV in the past because they simply aren't big enough to justify stats. It sounds like she's pretty big despite her low height from your description and it's not like her stats are that high so I guess she works. Entangling Web enhancement seems like a nice addition and cool thing for their bonding hero to add on. Life Drain feels off to me, personally. It's not a thing you really see outside of vampires so I'm having trouble finding the thematic link for this spider. I'm sure it plays fine but I'm having trouble seeing it.
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:31 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Tikkerak
I don't have a great reference for how big she is. I know other cheap bonding squad options for the Fyorlag have had issues with SoV in the past because they simply aren't big enough to justify stats. It sounds like she's pretty big despite her low height from your description and it's not like her stats are that high so I guess she works. Entangling Web enhancement seems like a nice addition and cool thing for their bonding hero to add on. Life Drain feels off to me, personally. It's not a thing you really see outside of vampires so I'm having trouble finding the thematic link for this spider. I'm sure it plays fine but I'm having trouble seeing it.
I think the Life Drain refers to spiders drinking up the liquefied insides of their prey.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:49 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
I think the Life Drain refers to spiders drinking up the liquefied insides of their prey.
Sure, but eating is really not a life-draining ability for any other Heroscape figure. Chomp doesn't heal Grimnak, for instance. I don't feel biological justifications are enough for a Life Drain power. Now this could be some kind of vampire spider, but I'm not particularly seeing the pull for that.
Old July 13th, 2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I don't have a great reference for how big she is.
Pretty big. If she extended her legs straight down (like a scared cat arching its back) she's taller than all the humans. She's big enough to wrap her body around Tor-Kul-Na's head, or cover his entire back. Drake could easily hide underneath her dead carcass. Size-wise I get a pretty good "Shelob" vibe.

Quote:
Sure, but eating is really not a life-draining ability for any other Heroscape figure. Chomp doesn't heal Grimnak, for instance.
There are at least three non-vampires who can heal through eating: Su-Bak-Na, Tor-Kul-Na, and Wo-Sa-Ga.

Quote:
I don't feel biological justifications are enough for a Life Drain power. Now this could be some kind of vampire spider, but I'm not particularly seeing the pull for that.
I guess spiders just seem to me the obvious real-world inspiration for vampires. Both prey on you, immobilize you, drink your blood, and take their strength from it. Every spider has two fangs, and spiders do not actually eat their victims but only suck liquid out of the bodies. Lots of parallels.

I think, if there had never been vampires in Heroscape, that you'd read Life Drain on a spider and go "yeah, okay." It's only the fact that vampires happened to do it first in this game that makes it feel a little bit like they "own" it. But it really is a good match for a human-size spider. I had actually started to write a new custom "wrap it up and eat it" effect at first, and then suddenly went hey, this already exists!

There's actually good precedent for not being too rigid on thematic ownership of powers that seem characteristic of particular groups:
  • did the Samurai corner the marker on Counter Strike, or can Charos also get in on it?
  • is Slither only for Vipers, or should a big, weird Marro claim it too?
  • do Ninjas and Agents "own" Ghost/Phantom Walk, or is there room for The Varja?
  • is Melee Defense the sole property of Vydar's soulborg, or are the 10th Foot also thematically appropriate?
  • along those lines, do the vampires "own" Life Drain, or ... ?
I guess not everyone feels the same way about this, but I love it when an existing special power can be used on a whole new kind of figure. And a generic interpretation of Life Drain seems appropriate to me. It isn't called "Vampire Blood Feast," after all, so I don't think Tikkerak has to be a vampiric spider for the power to make thematic sense.

Didn't Shelob Life Drain Frodo?

Old July 14th, 2015, 09:51 AM

This was all my personal leanings anyway and you provide some compelling motivations. To be clear, the hivelords only heal when cracking open a specific unit (and even then only their own) and not when they eat any old thing.

I don't think Life Drain type powers should be purely in the purview of vampires (I have a unit in SoV right now who has a life draining sword). I do think that there needs to be some exceptional circumstances beyond just normal biological function. Shelob didn't Life Drain Frodo. It's not like her wounds were magically healing while sucked away at him. This could be a magic spider that does that sort of thing but then I thought it felt a little weird for Aquilla (though who knows what sipping from a Wellspring will do to one of them).
Old July 9th, 2021, 03:14 AM

Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs: Sigmacron (Jandar Soulborg hero)

This week I was searching for "Marvelous Miniatures" (hoping to find affordable Specters of Aldorn), and this led me to a weird-ish eBay listing that offers a robot snake for about eight dollars.

The blocky appearance seemed pretty good to me for a 'Cron hero, so I did some quick-and-dirty colorizing tests in Photoshop.

I think the built-in base here is actually thicker than a Scape base, but since the taper looks about like what our eye would expect, it gives a misleading impression of the figure being smaller than I think it really is. As best I can tell, it would probably need a DW9K or large D&D base (and the head and tail would spill over the base). Here's roughly the scale I think it will have:

I don't actually have the miniature yet, so these images are all faked — and I probably don't have all the blue, gray, and black "paint" in the correct places yet — but this proof-of-concept seemed good enough to convince me to order the miniature, so I put together a first stab at an Army Card design. Ordinarily my customs tend toward being rather intricate, but here I tried to keep things fairly simple and based on existing powers.

I really like the way the character design artist thought about how a mechanical snake might move, and then gave it a series of conveyor-belt-like underbelly treads. This helped me visualize how this thing could legitimately have Slither, and since that power would normally be unexpected on a Soulborg it seemed kinda fun stumbling on a legit reason to go there.

I actually haven't done much gameplay analysis yet in terms of Cron builds; I just tried to make the initial design thematically reasonable, and find a credible personality that could have a little bit of Jandar synergy (in this case, via Concan).

Old September 17th, 2021, 03:23 AM

Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs: Monag (female Orc hero)

It's been years since I bought the D&D Howling Hag #18, yet it still holds first place in my mind as the best candidate from another product line for a truly Scape-looking Orc. And being a female, it just screams out (howls out?) for some unique gameplay. Finally I'm picking up the pieces of my crappy, complicated old custom and trying to streamline it.

— Clarifications —

Q. When Monag receives leaving engagement wounds from two or or more enemy figures, does each wound trigger Blood-Curdling Howl separately?

A. Yes.
Each leaving engagement attack involves a different enemy figure, is resolved separately, and inflicts its wound individually.

Q. When three enemy figures wound Monag using a combined attack (Arrow Volley Special Attack, Encircle Special Attack, Zombie Onslaught Special Attack), after a successful howl does each eligible Orc potentially roll attack dice against all three enemies?

A. No.
"Enemy" is always singular in the special power text, so each eligible Orc that's engaged with two or three of the combined-attacking figures can choose one of them to roll its unblockable attack die against. Each Orc can potentially choose a different enemy from among the three, as long as it's adjacent to the one it chooses.

Old February 16th, 2022, 07:20 PM

Just_a_Bill's Customs — latest: Ru-Wa-Na (Marro behemoth)

Eldritch horror is not really my jam, but I noticed that the Eldrazi Ruiner from AotP's Battle for Zendikar expansion would look very Marro with the right color scheme. I haven't actually painted my figure yet (the card below is a quick digital proof-of-concept hack and doesn't really have the right colors), but I'm excited about how the real thing is going to turn out.

It's nice to find those opportunities to do something useful and fun that feels new, using only existing special powers. Whirlwind Assault plus Reach is a combination I might not have considered were it not for this sculpt's four ridiculously long arms almost demanding it.

This guy is purposely intended as a slightly less expensive Hivelord, and my goal is to expand the synergy networks for the Nagrubs, Khosumet, and the Blackgaards. Now, I realize his Relentless personality overlaps with Kon-Tar-Na, but I feel like Khos in particular needs all the options he can get. (Even then it may be futile, but there's no harm in trying.) And with that in mind, I'm also considering an alternate version of Ru-Wa-Na that tries to make Khosumet's UNLEASHED FURY ENHANCEMENT a bit more tempting:

This of course also builds in an Achilles' heel in that every time this Hivelord moves, there's a 5% chance he will self-destruct. (Maybe that means I need to lower his points, but I haven't gone through that analysis yet; hence the blank on this second card.)

I do like this higher-risk/higher-reward version due to the drama of those extremes and the greater incentive to use Khozzy, but the two tails of the probability curve being self-destruction vs. 10 attack may be pushing it too far. And it does trample on the greater elegance of the two-power version. At least it's still using only existing special powers (albeit married together in one case), but for now this version is still just a brainstorm.

In any case, I'm a little fuzzy on whether any Marro are allowed to (or even can) spawn the normal way, but if it's possible for Tor-Kul-Na's monster-mount to have a baby with Wo-Sa-Ga, I imagine that baby would grow up to be Ru-Wa-Na. (I guess this might imply that Hivelords beget Hivelords — and now that's just about enough pondering on Marro biology for one day.)

— Clarifications —

Q: Can Ru-Wa-Na reach past/over/away from an adjacent enemy to attack one that is 2 spaces away?

A: No. The range-increasing portion of WHIRLWIND REACH works just like the original REACH power: it gives Ru-Wa-Na a normal ranged attack with vertical limitations. This is subject to the usual rules for ranged attacks, including engaged figures not being allowed to attack non-adjacent targets. However, if Ru-Wa-Na's initial attacks clear away all the adjacent enemies, then he could continue whirlwinding against any enemies that are 2 spaces away (and within the vertical limitations) now that he is no longer engaged.

Note also that if Ru-Wa-Na is already whirlwinding enemies at range 2 and a figure somehow becomes engaged with him during that process, this would prevent any further ranged attacks. For example, if an unengaged Ru-Wa-Na attacks a non-adjacent Deathreaver and Scatter brings a Deathreaver into adjacency with him, then he cannot continue attacking figures at range until the adjacent rat is dealt with. Assuming it's a Reaver he has not yet attacked this turn, he could target it next as part of this whirlwind and then resume attacking additional non-adjacent enemies if he destroys the rat (or it Scatters away).

Q: Is it correct that Ru-Wa-Na can attack your own figures if they are adjacent, but not if they are 2 spaces away?

A: Yes. WHIRLWIND REACH combines the WHIRLWIND ASSAULT and REACH powers literally; the only difference from the originals is that the first half says within range (instead of adjacent) in order to accommodate the second half. The goal of this power was that reading its title would tell you exactly how it works if you're already familiar with the two existing powers, so the text preserves the original difference of Whirlwind Assault applying to all figures while Reach applies only to enemies.

Side note: More precisely, this design considers the conceptual possibility of an as-yet-unseen power called WHIRLWIND ATTACK. This would be the appropriate title for a ranged version of WW Assault, following the lead of Double Assault / Double Attack. Thus it might be more precise to say that Ru-Wa-Na's power is the literal combination of the hypothetical Whirlwind Attack plus Reach, since in that case the wordings would be identical. Of course Whirlwind Attack will likely never exist; although the added limitations of a range-2 Reach seem to make it just safe enough to consider, a plain old Whirlwind Attack would probably be a really bad idea for any figure with a Range of 3+ and no vertical restrictions. Thus this little side note is so close to useless that you're probably wondering why I bothered to type it. So am I.

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; February 17th, 2022 at 07:18 PM. Reason: adding R&C (and a bit of useless design commentary)
Old February 17th, 2022, 06:13 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs — latest: Ru-Wa-Na (Marro behemoth

Unleashed fury on this unique hero is interesting and that's very cool...instead of auto destruct may I suggest the loss of 2 life instead?

Slither is fair enough and the look of the figure calls for it.

Whirlwind Reach is quite powerful when combined with Unleashed Fury...in theory that could be 10 attacks on...a whole bunch of figures (math was never my strong suit) unless the two powers are not meant to be combined which would need to be mentioned.

I may appropriate some of these ideas...awesome thinking.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; February 17th, 2022 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Name change option: Ju-St-Ab-Ll

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards