Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Notices

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What Video Game are you Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Finished Mass Effect 3 - Easily 99.99% the best sequel and trilogy game ever. However, that last 0.01% has left me conflicted as no game ever has. It comes out of nowhere, and is so different than anything I had in my had. Literally the last 5 minutes of the game.

Well, absolutely loved the other 35 hours without reservation. Not how I would have ended the series though.
As someone whose only Mass Effect exposure is a single playthrough of 1 and a single playthrough of 2, I've been getting excited by your reports of how good 3 is but have been tempering it with my knowledge that you've at least done the DLCs between episodes. Then this arrived in my inbox and I realized I didn't have a clue who James Vega was either. Now I feel a bit stuck. Do I play 3 knowing that I'll be starting our very confused and missing some key events in my own story? Do I go back and shell out some cash for DLC of a couple of games I enjoyed, but not enough to play a second time? Or do I just quit, calling the ending of 2 satisfactory? *sheesh*

~Aldin, who has a huge backlog of games to play anyway so it may be a while

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Vega isn't a problem on any level. The writer there is just whining regarding him. Because of how many people can possibly die during ME2, they buffered the game by adding a fresh face. He's not detrimental to the story at all and is nothing to be worried about.

As for The Arrival, it plays very little in the game except that it is why you are where you are at the start of ME3. I'd just youtube a Paragon/Renegade playthrough to get the gist of the story.

Much more important is The Lair of the Shadowbroker. That is DLC I'd highly recommend you get. I mean seriously, it's great. Plus lots of story there.

As for ME3, it's great until 5 minutes in. Very personal story, you really do feel the desperation, the loss. I just don't know about the ending. Not what I wanted for sure. It's closure (and there are even rumors that their is a free DLC coming to expand on the ending, but I'll believe it when Bioware confirms it). But it switches gears so jarringly that I cannot enjoy what they (Bioware) was intending. It doesn't ruin the game, but I went from emotionally wrecked to WTF and that transition is rarely good.

EDIT: Some possible hope? DO NOT READ anything in this link if you have not finished the game...

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/c...itely_hinting/

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Last edited by jschild; March 14th, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hand offs have been a bit problematic in the series in general. The start of ME3 really isn't any more jarring than (ME2 Spoilers)

Spoiler Alert!

In any case, the Arrivail DLC sets up ME3 quite well, but I must say I was a bit disappointed where ME3 picks up regardless. I expected to actually play out the trial and it took me a little while to realize that they skipped that part. In any case, I do highly suggest picking up Arrivial and Lair of the Shadow Broker; in particular the latter is simply fantastic all around. If you don't want to pick up either though, it shouldn't dissuade you from playing ME3 if you've played 1 and 2. Nothing is so pivotal that you'll find yourself lost having missed it. As is the general theme of ME3, there are bigger problems to deal with.
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Since I'm playing through ME3 with a friend, my time with it is somewhat limited at the moment. In the meantime, I picked up Journey off the PSN store. It's a very artsy kind of game (from the team that did Flower, so... no surprise) and a little hard to pin down what makes it work.

It's got a very nice art style that feels a bit minimalist while still being pretty and brown while still being colorful. What really makes the game though is the online multiplayer ties. As you trek across the desert, the game will randomly tie your game together with another player. There's no way to know who they are, no voice chat, but you get a stamina boost being near each other and can sing little notes to communicate.

It's shocking how much this changes the game and how aware it makes you of how the game is making you feel. Since you randomly play through sections of the game alone and cooperative, the game starts to feel really lonely and empty when no one is with you. I went through a really neat section where you slide down a huge drain of flowing sand, where you can do little tricks off ramps for fun and it occurred to me how different another player would have made that section. I was kind of sad there wasn't another player there goof around with.

Part of what makes this all work is that the game has a good sense of pace. A lot of it honestly doesn't have you doing much more than walking forward. In one of the best moments of the game's potential, I ran across another traveler in an underground tunnel that was pretty empty. Walking along, we tapped out little 1 note rhythms and played around with the flight mechanics with the bolstered stamina, really just goofing around. It's that odd innocence of communicating through the limited tools available that make the sections without a companion so lonely.

What made this particular section so memorable, however, was how quickly it changed. As we continued down the path, I ran across a statue that came to life and sent me flying across the screen. My companion quickly rushed over and helped me up, only to find the flying snake creature dive between us and scatter us again. I scrambled for cover, but quickly heard the familiar one note tune of my companion, tapped out frantically and I made a break to the haven they'd found. Through the rest of the section, the flying serpent continued to prowl and the two of us crept through, our prior goofy tunes replaced with absolute silence unless something demanded the attention of the other player.

It's that bit of game that made me realize Journey is really something special. It created a complex, multi character narrative, unscripted through simple interactive mechanics. I hear the game is short, but I can see it being highly replayable simply as I imagine how different that would have been alone, or with a companion that fled at the first sign of trouble rather than calling out for me. To be honest, its not much of a game in the traditional sense, but its an astonishing interactive experience.
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

(and there are even rumors that their is a free DLC coming to expand on the ending, but I'll believe it when Bioware confirms it).
Just beat it last night.
Spoiler Alert!
Put spoiler tags in, though probably didn't need em, just in case though.
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Has A Ticket To Ride

EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Okay, so I couldn't resist watching the ending of ME3, even though I haven't yet begun to play it (apparently, having a baby takes up lots of your free time, who knew?), so it begs the question.

If the ending is so, for lack of a better word, uncharacteristic (or frustratingly awful) of the franchise, is it worth even bujying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Classic-Scape is just the Frosting for the Marvel-Scape cake!
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalThanos86 View Post
Okay, so I couldn't resist watching the ending of ME3, even though I haven't yet begun to play it (apparently, having a baby takes up lots of your free time, who knew?), so it begs the question.

If the ending is so, for lack of a better word, uncharacteristic (or frustratingly awful) of the franchise, is it worth even bujying?
Why would you watch the ending of an extremely story based game that you thought about playing?

I can't begin to comprehend the reasoning there.

But I'll repeat once again. The game is fantastic. If you liked ME1 and 2, then you will love everything but the last 5 minutes. There are so many tender and amazing scenes that if you liked the game at all, you would be foolishly tossing all those moments away.

Sorry, but 35 hours of great gaming is not undone by 5 minutes. Am I disappointed by those 5 minutes. Yes, but the game gave me 2100 great minutes.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM
regurgitation cynic

I must say I find it funny I'm using a game about wandering in the desert to bury my head in the sand until I can finish ME3 and find out what all this ending controversy is about.
Old March 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
I must say I find it funny I'm using a game about wandering in the desert to bury my head in the sand until I can finish ME3 and find out what all this ending controversy is about.
I'm on Reddit all the time and I had to just avoid the Gaming sections so I could experience it fresh.

Old March 16th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

ME3 all weekend, as much time as I can spare. This is why:
Operation Goliath

Time to kill some reapers.

Forgot to mention, Operation Goliath is only for PC and XBox players, PS3 is excluded from these community events for the time being.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs

Last edited by Fencerjared; March 16th, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Operation Goliath

Forgot to mention, Operation Goliath is only for PC and XBox players, PS3 is excluded from these community events for the time being.
This is not a hate on PS3's as they have some amazing exclusives, but it seems just about every cross-platform game has less bugs and less overall issues simply due to the fact that it's so much easier to program on a PC/360 than it is with the Cell processor.

That said, if you really know what you are doing, the Cell is amazing. Not surprised the PS4 will use a traditional processor though after how much the Cell hurt them with developers.

Old March 17th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Operation Goliath

This is not a hate on PS3's as they have some amazing exclusives, but it seems just about every cross-platform game has less bugs and less overall issues simply due to the fact that it's so much easier to program on a PC/360 than it is with the Cell processor.

That said, if you really know what you are doing, the Cell is amazing. Not surprised the PS4 will use a traditional processor though after how much the Cell hurt them with developers.
I work for a small game company and know nothing of the industry, but why hasn't c#
become the standard since it has the virtual console that works for all processors?

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games