Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old November 8th, 2022, 08:51 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Age of Annihilation - Backer Trend and Discussion

That’s interesting. They’ve really talked it up like this is the start of something big or maybe that’s just been my own perception?

Despite what I said above, I am leaning heavily to backing. I’m culling some games and will be looking to use funds from those sales to back AoA. I haven’t been comfortable committing until the cash is in hand, but I don’t want to chance missing this opportunity.
Old November 8th, 2022, 09:10 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

After I bought the original Heroquest, I no longer followed the expansions that were put out. But I think there were only two or three of them. Now on Haslab in recent times there were certainly not the dozens spawned for Heroscape back in the day. And everyone has been saying Quest is the closest model for Scape. So draw your own conclusions.

Of course I personally would like to see tons more Scape, because I still have an active player group that never stopped playing it at least monthly, and is just expanding now, almost doubling our membership. An explosion of AOA product might have happened if we had sailed past the 8,000 we need and met the stretch goals. But this has not happened.

So if we do barely fund, I don't expect to see more than, say one Scape expansion per year. That's my two cents on it right now.
Old November 8th, 2022, 09:29 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This offering does look like it could be the first year or even two of releases in one big box. And then they could determine the next steps based on sales.

The Heroquest comparison is actually what made me feel the opposite. They offered just a retail box or the all in with two expansions and the campaign extras on their Haslab.

But since it released there has been a steady offering of smaller individual hero expansions (knights and rogues so far) as well as larger quest expansions with the barbian quest out now, the elf quest coming soon, and a dwarf and wizard quest likely to follow. And I would anticipate as long as the new stuff continues to sell it will keep coming.
Old November 8th, 2022, 09:35 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Somewhere it was posted that they have 2+ years of content planned already if this funds. I'd like to think that even if we limp across the finish line, those plans will go into motion. I feel that the 8K is a very specific number they need to see in order to pull the trigger. That's not to say if post campaign sales are poor they wouldn't pull the plug earlier, but I think the plan will be put in motion as long as we get there.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; November 8th, 2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old November 8th, 2022, 10:03 AM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Somewhere it was posted that they have 2+ years of content planned already if this funds. I'd like to think that even if we limp across the finish line, those plans will go into motion. I feel that the 8K is a very specific number they need to see in or to pull the trigger. That's not to say if post campaign sales are poor they wouldn't pull the plug earlier, but I think the plan will be put in motion as long as we get there.
I agree with this assessment. I think they'd slow play it, but the first wave of future releases seems like a guarantee and then they'd evaluate whether to continue those based not on the success of the Haslab but the success of the expansions. I think the entry cost is really high just to retool everything and get their production running in China
Old November 8th, 2022, 10:04 AM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
That’s interesting. They’ve really talked it up like this is the start of something big or maybe that’s just been my own perception?

Despite what I said above, I am leaning heavily to backing. I’m culling some games and will be looking to use funds from those sales to back AoA. I haven’t been comfortable committing until the cash is in hand, but I don’t want to chance missing this opportunity.
You absolutely should back. I think the value of this set will be closer to $500 on the secondary market when all the dust settles. Definitely the best deal we'll see on this stuff ever, and if it doesn't fund you're never charged so there's no risk there either
Old November 8th, 2022, 11:00 AM

Heirloom knows what's in an order marker Heirloom knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
There is logic in the idea that this might be more of a collection "capstone" than the start of something new and ongoing.
This is an interesting idea to me, and (counter-intuitively) I think it would have worked better: “last chance to get official ‘Scape, end of the line right here. One last big box (and maybe smaller repackaging later) but that’s it.”
Old November 8th, 2022, 11:53 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephus View Post
For what it’s worth, there should have been 2x master sets releases. One with the new factions and a second that has historical figures in the same vein as the original master set. This would have lowed the buy in for new players, whilst allowing people to still go all in. Theses two sets could then be retail ready which again helps reduce overheads.
The original master set had only 7 (out of 16) army cards that were historical figures and only 14 (out of 30) figures that were historical figures.

The new Vanguard Edition has a few historical figures also, but the main point is that there has never been a master set that was just historical figures. SotM (and BftU) had much worse ratios of historical to non-historical units.

As for the rest of what you said, I get what you're coming from. I disagree that AH has been purposely sabotaging the project. It makes no sense for Hasbro or AH to intentionally sabotage this, and if you think they're doing that I would argue you might not understand how big corporations work. However, I agree that they've made a *lot* of mistakes and apparently bad assumptions in how they set all of this up.

With that said, it's not over until it's over and we may get there yet, especially if there are a lot more people like you who have been waiting until the end to reluctantly back it, which is possible or even likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Simple plot, generated using the current data i the first post and a power law fit, where t=65550 minutes is the end time, and total backers are on the y axis.

With that in mind, I predict and end total of 3662 backers, a mere 216 more than the live count right now.
I don't think this will match the shape of the campaign by the end. I believe we will see a sharp uptick in the last 48-72 hours. What I'm not sure about is *how much* of a sharp uptick.

Fingers crossed.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 8th, 2022, 12:03 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Cap, I appreciate your thoughtful analysis, which I generally agree with.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 8th, 2022, 12:19 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Sabotage is a very strong word. Mishandling is probably a more accurate word.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; November 8th, 2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: It also doesn't make any sense to sabotage something that you've already put money into
Old November 8th, 2022, 12:36 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Folks need to let go of how cheap Scape was when it first hit the shelves in 2004. Never mind the craziness factoring in today, just the mere fact that it's been nearly 20 years would change the price (upwards) significantly.

I'll say again, what would we get at a lower price point? I feel like the argument would have gone in the other direction. The lower price point would have felt like a rip off and some would be arguing that it's a cash grab and should have been a huge offering at an, albeit high cost, but there would be plenty of value. Lose-lose

-insert signature here-
Old November 8th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Folks need to let go of how cheap Scape was when it first hit the shelves in 2004. Never mind the craziness factoring in today, just the mere fact that it's been nearly 20 years would change the price (upwards) significantly.

I'll say again, what would we get at a lower price point? I feel like the argument would have gone in the other direction. The lower price point would have felt like a rip off and some would be arguing that it's a cash grab and should have been a huge offering at an, albeit high cost, but there would be plenty of value. Lose-lose
I believe this too. A ~$150 painted set the size of BOTU would just get people saying, "I'm paying three times as much for 1/3 of the content of ROTV"...... Which in that case would be true.

I understand not having funds..... But there was no way to offer anything as a worthwhile jumping off point for new fans at $50. You'd basically have two static sides and basically enough terrain for one map. You wouldn't have the variety to give it the battle of all time feel.

I think something at $125 is still doable for those with less funds, but the $50 expectations of some comments I've seen are just not cognizant of what things cost now.

With some shopping around, you could probably get all three AOTP sets for $50~...... Which is still a solid game, especially if you add even just a set of marvel tiles and some dollar store/aquarium decor LOS blockers.

Upset City Baby.

Last edited by brak88; November 8th, 2022 at 01:33 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion