Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM

syvarris0 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
heroscape family

I'm trying to get the rest of my house hold to play heroscape so that they will spend more money on it.currently it consists of 44 year-old boy,43 year old girl,and 6 year old girl.i am 13.

Haven't posted in 7 months,found out about PS3 and more recently WOWTBC
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: heroscape family

I play Heroscape with my Dad (we're the best; we're the only ones that go to GenCon amoung our divorced-household ), brother (fairly good), and uncle (dad's brother, not bad). And that's basically it, my dad supplies me with all my scape and I use my own money as well.
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by syvarris0 View Post
I'm trying to get the rest of my house hold to play heroscape so that they will spend more money on it.currently it consists of 44 year-old boy,43 year old girl,and 6 year old girl.i am 13.

Is there a question in here or is this a statement? There are a few threads about how to get others interested in playing from wives to parents to younger siblings. Look around or search or at least provide us some more information about what your family likes or if they play at all. People would help you despite the fact that your reasons to want them to play are a little shady.
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:

Is there a question in here or is this a statement? There are a few threads about how to get others interested in playing from wives to parents to younger siblings. Look around or search or at least provide us some more information about what your family likes or if they play at all. People would help you despite the fact that your reasons to want them to play are a little shady.
I thought what he meant to say, or make this thread's purpose to discuss who you play Heroscape with in your family. But yes syvarris0, you need to be more clearer with your threads. And there's no excuse with your age, I'm the same age as you. . But to give you a heads up this thread might get locked until you state a question or meaning.
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
If your mom or dad (or someone) drove you all the way from Plainfield to the GP in Schaumburg to get some Scape (which you just mentioned in another thread), then that was a good chunk of cash spent on gas.

My son lucked out. I don't mind spending money on Heroscape, even when it's not his birthday or Christmas.

Get a friend or two interested in the game. If they get expansions you don't already have, then pull your resources together when you meet up to play it.
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Well,actually my mom took me to my Grandma's house,who lives in Schaumburg and my Grandma took me to Gamer's Paradise.

Old June 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:

It is advice on how to get my household to play.I got them all to play at least once and here's how it went:my mom liked the basic game better because it was less confusing,but she doesn't really like war games.My dad i can get to play but I wish he'd enjoy it more,because I often find myself pretty much facing myself.My sister I can also get to play and she's into it but she makes stupid moves and I'm trying to brainstorm ways to make her better at it.

Old June 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

My comment is that the only way to hook people is by playing with them--and making it fun for them.

If your mom doesn't like the war aspects, then try other variations that minimize the direct fighting and maximize tactics, etc.--see Gomolka's Game Night thread for good ideas on this (in my Index, see my sig).

If your dad likes to play but feel too busy, then try shorter games, maybe even pick an army for him that you know he'll like, to speed things up.

With your sister, just be patient and be kind--with time she may whoop you good! (My daughter is 8 and she oftens surprises me!)

Also, don't rule out Grandma or others--make it fun for her and you may be surprised that Grandma could be your best player!

Also, as Onacara said, look around, there are lots of good threads here about getting others to play. Enjoy the Scaping!
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM

It's not that by dad is too busy,it's that I feel that I am forcing him to play heroscape with me.

We often play a bunch of other wargames such as Axis&Allies board game,and Dynasty Warriors on the Playstation 2.(soon to be Playstation 3)

The reason I think he's into those games more is because he know's the rules,so when I left for my Grandma's house on Tuesday,I told my mom to tell him to read the Swarm of the Marro Rulebook.

With my sister she loves to play Heroscape but,she is not very good.Any suggestions how to handicap to make it easier for her to beat me and try harder?Dad's I need suggestions!

Old June 13th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

My previous post just gave some generic examples (guesses, I suppose). The bottomline remains the same--make it fun for them. If I was your dad I wouldn't want to play a game where my child tells me that I just need to read the rulebook--I'd want my child to take some time to help me to get excited about the game.

For me, I've seen this work by picking someone a really fun to play army. It is also about the nature of the games. I found that I hooked my wife by doing less confrontational games--where we were racing to rescue a unit or even playing against enemy units (we played a simple game where all enemy units immediately return fire if not killed--they were all ranged units and so we worked together to kill them off--there are lots of fun ideas in Gomolka's post, again, see my Index in my sig).

Anyhow, try to figure out what will hook your dad in the game and focus on that--what does he like about other games, how can you help him like this one? I'd emphasize the cool abilities of the units and help him to have a really fun army to play.

For your sister, double her points and see what happens. Seriously. I'd rather play and lose, then never play. Make a deal with her that each time she wins you cut back her army size a bit. But start off with her having a clear advantage--and make her feel good about it (don't hold it over her and say she isn't good--just say that Mmirg at Scapers says that younger players always get more points than older players, if that will work.)

I hope some of this helps. My experience is that a little effort to figure out what excites someone else in the game is well rewarded in the end. Good luck!
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Adrian Monk

Oh, you might also try some team or group games. We love it best when all of us play. Just be sure to start with small armies, so the first game doesn't last too long. We did some with just 200-250 and that was great.

Having a partner can help, too (maybe Dad will like it better (learn it better, too) if he is the lead of a team and needs to help out his partner...). Sounds like you and he are the most serious gamers, so be on opposite teams and see what happens. Sorry for the extra post, just some more thoughts for you. Enjoy!
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM

While one bump is good two bumps are better.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion