Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old June 27th, 2018, 08:42 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
What Board Games Will You Be Purchasing?

Choosing and Anticipation is half the fun!

THE CHAS GAME EVENT HORIZON
COMING 2018-19

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA *(Everything Epic; Preorder Gold Box Special,
(July 3 Fedex Delivery Date Posted)
THE GREAT WAR EXPANSION: THE FRENCH ARMY (PSC, KS June)
STAR TREK ASCENDANCY VULCAN EXPANSION ("2Q"/Gen Con?)
QUARTERMASTER GENERAL PRELUDE EXPANSION (August)
INIS EXPANSION (Metagot, Fall/Essen Show)
STAR TREK ASCENDANCY ANDORIAN EXPANSION ("4Q")
C&C MEDIEVAL (BYZANTIUM) (GMT; Oct.-Dec.)
TRICORNE: FRENCH ARMY EXPANSION/VERDUN (Compass, December)

RED ALERT: SPACE FLEET COMBAT (PSC; KS March 2019) Kickstarter Funded

Any questions on these? What are you planning to buy? How do you decide?

Being retired and unmarried, I can do what I like. But living in a two bedroom apartment in NYC stuffed with my huge game collection and over 30,000 54mm miniatures and the terrain and vehicles that go with them, space is now at a premium! And games are so expensive these days--I spent about $150 on Red Alert, (not including shipping from Great Britain next year) which is only my fifth Kickstarter in two years since I started backing a few--that's always a consideration. As you can see, I buy a lot of expansions--on the few occasions when I make a purchase and the game is no good for me; I just get rid of it! But I usually continue getting expansions for the games I buy and like.

As an old wargamer of the hex and chit era from back in the Sixties, I now prefer light wargames and hybrid Ameritrash/Euros. PM me if you are in or near NYC, and I'll send you my Saturday monthly gaming invitation schedule!

I've been playing and collecting Heroscape since it came out, and occasionally buy a figure for a C3V or C3G custom. If you are interested in what we've been up to in our monthly custom Scaping, just hit my signature line below for the New York City Gang of Four!

Last edited by chas; June 29th, 2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old June 27th, 2018, 05:46 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!
Re: What Board Games Will You Be Purchasing?

Neat new thread. I've sworn off (reluctantly) any game purchasing until PAX Unplugged in November, but I do have a lot of standing orders waiting to come in. Scythe: Rise of Fenris, Cerebria: The Inside World, and Tiny Epic Zombies are on their way in the coming months, with a few more on the horizon for later.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old July 19th, 2018, 05:36 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wendake very interested in the theme and base mechanics.
Azul Stained Glass I love how brutal Azul can be and the base game is very simple and fun
CryptidI really love the Artist Kwanchi's work and I like the theme and small box games( for storage reasons...last few games I got were massive boxes of GloomHaven,Mechs Vs Minions,and Scythe)
Arboretum The reprint from Renegade looks beautiful and the small box big game complex is large with this one.

Probably a lot others like Tidal Blades, Root, Gunkimono, new Brass reprint and game.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 19th, 2018, 08:02 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The Most Anticipated Games of GenCon 2018 type lists are just starting to appear on youtube. Since I don't attend (I did once), I'll be checking them out both now before and after the Con!
Old July 19th, 2018, 09:20 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
The Most Anticipated Games of GenCon 2018 type lists are just starting to appear on youtube. Since I don't attend (I did once), I'll be checking them out both now before and after the Con!
SHHHHHHHHSH, didn't you see my above list...More research equals more money spent.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 21st, 2018, 09:03 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm still hyped for Betrayal Legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:29 PM

I have four recently acquired games on my table, in different stages of play or preparation; the first two are new designs:

1. Big Trouble In Little China played 8 times and currently being tweaked by various bgg FAQ. I have yet to play Expansion 1 The Legacy of Lo Pan Campaign, which I received with my preorder Gold Box, which is not yet available in retail.

2. Quartermaster General Prelude (Expansion 3) was just received. Will play it in two weeks.

3. Alien Frontiers was solitaired to get the rules down. This game had five editions; I have the fourth! Its worker placement with some area control and take that.

4. Silent Death: The New Millennium for which I am reading the massive rules book. After a huge backstory, I'm now up the Page 48, the actual game rules!
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:32 PM

So far I've watched nine "Most Anticipated Games From GenCon 2018," and have yet to see one I want. Most this year seem to be Euros or one player/one character adventures games, which are mostly not my thing. However, some games have not been announced yet, so in a week or so I'll be watching the "Best Games I Got At Gencon" videos, and possible find one or two things there.

(Edit)
GenCon 2018 is on! I even saw a "Here they are setting up the dealer area" video last night! Still nothing listed I want, but now it kicks into a new phase of "here's the brand new stuff I saw/played/got: the most active period for youtube gaming videos of the year!

Meantime I've sent out my monthly August gaming schedule to about 25 pals. I'll be doing a Fantasy Battle toy soldier game (the first in 8 years), Quartermaster General Prelude, Big Trouble In Little China, and Alien Frontiers, the latter 3 being my newest games. And the toy soldier game will include figures I've yet to get out on the table: Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Northern Men, etc.

If you live in or near NYC and want to get it and join in, just PM me!

Last edited by chas; August 3rd, 2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old August 5th, 2018, 10:19 AM

New GenCon Game Purchasing Edge Cases

Don'cha hate it? A new game comes out that you are interested in, but you decide you're probably not going to bite! In my case, looking at new GenCon videos on youtube now, they are:

Battlestar Galactica Starship Battles (Aries). Love the franchise and the company, but it just seems too similar to X-Wing and other tacticals. Plus BSG has so few ship types!

Game Of Thrones: Mother of Dragons Expansion (FFG) Great looking stuff, but no one will play this with me here! Its been in the closet forever, sadly. But tempted after seeing a preview video.

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress (Flying Frog) Insane miniatures; a new Core Set in Feudal Japan. Coop heroes vs Asian Supernatural and Cthonic monsters. Don't want to get into SOB with all it will entail.

Last edited by chas; August 5th, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old August 13th, 2018, 10:29 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

This post needs to be moved to "What Board Games Will You Not Be Purchasing."

Old August 14th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I suspect I'll end up trying at least one organized play event of Keyforge, so I guess that counts as buying a game. The business model looks far more consumer-friendly than most card games on the market right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:42 AM

For a guy who has only backed six Kickstarters so far, two came up just now, for one old game and one reissue.

1. Alien Frontiers Kickstarter: Factions Definitive Edition I recently purchased this second hand (4th Edition out of the 5 now extant) and enjoyed my first three plays. I usually do pick up the expansions for good games, and they are now offering all of the 13 expansion Factions plus a new one in one box, so I'll probably go for it. This new set does not include everything, as it does not have the (relatively) large Outer Belt Expansion and small Expansion #7, but I can get these online, and then I'll be "game complete!" Oddly, since the KS won't be published until next year, that would mean getting the latter first.

2. Many of you know that I own or have ordered/backed all ten Commands & Colors games by Richard Borg, put out or being put out by a number of different publishers. I also have all of their expansions too, which meant dozens more purchases over the years. GMT has just put their upcoming reissue of Samurai Battles on their P500 list for Preorder. It will have their standard C&C Blocks, rather than the somewhat troublesome minis of the original version of the game by Zvesda. To buy or not to buy, since I already have two core games and one expansion, plus some extra minis?

The new version will have more scenario battles, terrain types, and unit types and much better graphics, etc., so Ill probably cave soon!

Anyone interested in the C&C series games can see my guide to them all on bgg here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...rd-borg/page/1

Last edited by chas; February 16th, 2019 at 12:15 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games