Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

View Poll Results: Which date and time works best for you? (Closes Apr. 29)
Saturday, May 17th, 11:00 AM 5 35.71%
Saturday, May 17th, 2:00 PM 5 35.71%
Sunday, May 18th, 11:00 AM 3 21.43%
Sunday, May 18th, 2:00 PM 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Raleigh, NC Tourney Thread

So, having toyed with the idea like unto a sadistic, OCD-afflicted cat with a palsied mouse, we're finally getting this ball rolling.

The proposed dates are May 17th or 18th official date is Saturday, May 24th. The location is Amazing Tales comic book store, in the Mission Valley shopping center, off of Avent Ferry Road.

A $5 entry will cover prizes and possibly snackies, as yet to be determined, with more details to follow: (more people = more murder, so bring your friends... and destroy them!)

Thanks to DarkBladeCB for the assist on putting regulations together.

When:
May 24th at 2:00 PM

Armies:
500 pre-assembled, no Marvel, with no sideboard

Maps:

BoV with whatever glyphs are on said map
  • Mole Hills : J-Unit94
  • Arctic Divide : Granite-M
  • The Broken Skyline : DarkBladeCB
  • Turret Rocks : DyersEve
  • Embattled Fen : Granite-M
  • Road Rampage : DyersEve
  • Table of the Giants : JoutnFAN77
Time Limit:
50-60 minutes

Entry Fee:
--Assume $5 per player.

Prizes:
1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest scoring players will have respective choices from the following:

-1 RotV
-1 Castle + 1 booster (x2)
-1 Marvel
-Choice of 3 boosters
(booster selection is currently 3 full Wave 7 expansions, and one Archers &
Kyrie)

Kids:
1) Kids are welcome to play in the adult tournament so long as they can be reasonable opponents for adult players. I'm 24 and I have no problem playing against a clever 12 yr. old, so long as he doesn't cry too hard when [if] he's beaten. If you've just taught your little one how to count to 9 using Krug, then maybe he or she'd be best cheering you on from the sidelines.

2) Kids who are not playing are welcome to come so long as they can be reasonably behaved in public and not disrupt play / wreak havoc in the comic book shop.

=================================================
People who've confirmed their attendance.

Granite-M
dyerseve
DarkBladeCB
Hogg (+1 guest)
d3athkiller
Soul Shackle (+2 guests) (maybe)
obsidianguard (+1 guest)
HSisforcoolkids (+1 guest)
J-Unit94
boozehammer (maybe)

Current Count: Between 14 and 15

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers

Last edited by Granite-M; May 23rd, 2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Editing participant
Old April 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart
Re: Raleigh, NC Tourney Thread

I voted for the 18th at 11:00, but I would be willing/capable of coming to any of those dates.

Also: this should probably go in the Events forum, maybe?

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!

The only thing bumming me out is that I was liking the idea of doing the tourney at the Triangle Simulation Society's Spring Fever event (which is that same weekend) so it would feel like we were part of a bigger event and I could check out the historical minis vendors... (as I'm starting to get into that)

In your mind, is location for the HS tourney not even on the table for discussion?

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Aargh! Pranked again!

JoutnFAN77 wears ripped pants of awesomeness JoutnFAN77 wears ripped pants of awesomeness JoutnFAN77 wears ripped pants of awesomeness JoutnFAN77 wears ripped pants of awesomeness JoutnFAN77 wears ripped pants of awesomeness JoutnFAN77 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd like it to be the 17 at 2:00
This would be awesome
I for a tourney near here for a long time YAAAAY
I'm game
(ha ha ha game)

JFAN is... waiting.... waiting... waiting... waiting...
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM

obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker

I am definately interested...I'll easily be destroyed, as I have never been to a tournament. I have definately been looking for HeroScape action in NC (no offence bro). If you have difficulty getting 8 together, PM me. I'll see what I can do. As a poor educator, funds are tight.

Back from the dead
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!

Welcome JoutnFAN77 & obsidianguard! Please make sure you guys introduce yourself over in the North Carolina Scapers thread if you haven't already (I don't remember seeing you there).

That's the general thread for all NC info...this thread is just for the potential tourney.

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfSauron View Post
The only thing bumming me out is that I was liking the idea of doing the tourney at the Triangle Simulation Society's Spring Fever event (which is that same weekend) so it would feel like we were part of a bigger event and I could check out the historical minis vendors... (as I'm starting to get into that)

In your mind, is location for the HS tourney not even on the table for discussion?
I don't see a problem with setting up a separate event, but a couple of things make me lean towards the current location.

First, no fee just to get in the door. My funds are as limited as I'm sure many others' are, and although the Spring Fever thing sounds cool, I don't think I'll be able to drop that kind of scratch just to be there in the first place. With Amazing Tales, we just have to cover some of the costs for prizes, and that amount only gets lower per person, with each added player.

Second, part of the intent here is to promote the regular gaming at the FLGS. Amazing Tales is a new place, but it's also very good-- good guy running the place, it's well-lit, and clouds of dust coming from stacks of back issues don't make you worry about getting the black lung when you go in. What with my experiences at some of the other comic book shops in Raleigh, I'd really like to give this place a little boosty up.

Finally, we have command of the space. No need for another layer of negotiation with whoever's in charge of allocating space and tables at the Spring Fever event, especially as it's not too far off.

Old April 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker

I voted for May 17 at 11:00 am, although I could definitely make it at 2:00 pm that day as well. I have plans on that Sunday, however.

I am 80% that I could make it to a tourney on the 17th.

EOS, I looked at the Spring Fever gathering a while ag, and it looks cool, but I'm personally just not interested enough in the other games to want to pay $15 at the door. (I would pay it if that is where the tournament was held, but I would prefer to be in a place where the HS tournament was the main draw.)
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:03 AM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart

$5 is a lot better than $15 (or more), honestly. I don't think anybody can complain with that. So I'm afraid I have to also vouch for Amazing Tales (and I really like the guy who runs the place).

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM

One thing I wanted to mention regarding people who could come at 2:00, but not at 11:00-- I wouldn't object to starting at 11:00, getting a few of the first round of matches out of the way, and having some more show up in the afternoon. So long as we can get all the scheduling to work out by the end of the day, and we can be sure everyone we think we've got is going to show up, there should be some flexibility as to actual arrival time.

Old April 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM

dyerseve is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I'll be flying back from Phoenix Friday night. Just talked to the better half and she is up for a day trip. We live in Concord.

What are the rules? I really like the General specific armies.

Last edited by dyerseve; April 20th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM

Haven't got a hard and fast plan, yet, but I was thinking something in the range of 400 pt. armies, pre-assembled, Marvel allowed, no customs, on a couple of BoV maps (as yet to be determined), with around a 50 minute time limit per game. All of this is open to discussion, and since we haven't got a number of participants yet, we've yet to know the exact entry fee. The final structure of the tournament will have to be shaped by how many players we wind up with.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events