Old August 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM

drumtooth is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139
Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt
Aside from that, wouldn't you rather they use the time and materials to make new and different figures instead of rehashing the old ones possibly making some of them obsolete?
Not really. Then again, I'm more about theme than actual gameplay...
Once again, I find myself agreeing with you.

I voted for the New Raelin. Personally, I am an offensive player. I like having an offensive version of Raelin. (Not that I won't be using the old one. RotV Raelin fits perfectly into my G'nator army...)
Exactly. The new Raelin can keep those fast moving gorrilinators within her extended range. Also you don't "waste" a turn of attacking when moving her up with her whirlwind attack.
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Um... I said that the old Raelin worked best with my G'nator army, not the new Raelin.

P.S. She fits because of her cost by the way, not her ability.
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
In general I like the old one more than the new one. The new one can attack, and that is sweet, and she can help more units, so perhaps in a swarm army she might be better, but in most cases she's just too expensive for how she is used. Almost always when I use raelin I use her as a protection unit to help my figs, whether it is Q9 and krav, or marro, or whatever. And since I use her as such, she in almost always the first character to die. I don't ever attack with her, I just put her in place and attack with my other units. Since she dies almost every game it would make sense to use the old one. Since I don't attack with her it's a toss up of helping more units, or helping a few units a lot. I will lose 120 pts of new raelin, or 80 pts of old raelin. Since they both have the same defense and life they last the same amount of time. I'll keep to the old one thanks, but I like the new one, she is fun.
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
Quote:
... but as far as Drake goes, the old one is totally obsolete since it has less life, movement, defense, and weaker abilities.
And is proportionately cheaper.

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Syvarris is still a popular character. I see him in tournaments in my area all the time. And my playing group tends to draft him often still. Aside from that, wouldn't you rather they use the time and materials to make new and different figures instead of rehashing the old ones possibly making some of them obsolete?
No, I wouldn't. Each wave needs a mixture of exolution and innovation. Look at Wave 7-- it has the Ashigaru squads building on similar units from the past and also the precedent-setting Iskra/Rechets and Isamu. It shouldn't be all new stuff all the time. SotM has the Hive, which is complicated enough that it needs its own section in the rulebook, so it also needs traditional figures who re-use abilities or have very similar ones.

But why not just re-use the Drake and Raelin abilities on figures with different names? Because their prices would have to be higher for the same capabilities, especially Raelin. Remaking the old characters with the same names allows for more aggressive pricing.

Old Drake and old Raelin fans have little to worry about-- it's the Deathwalker lovers who should be angry!
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I am voting for the old, +2 is a big part of way to many of my armies.

Can we use both???

Now that would be really sweet, +3 defense. Get a bonding glyph so you can bond with any other card and you are set..........

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
I don't really see the point in Raelin's Whirlwind Assault when she's still 3/3. I'd rather send in characters with higher attack or defense. As she stands, she's only a good attacking character if she happens to run into some Arrow Gruts that have gone very astray.
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM
has been BANNED

Zombie Hoard is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
O like the old one to help save people but the new one is better for battle
OLD RAY GO!!!
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The new Jandar figures are making me eager to use Finn and Concan as shock troops. Since whirlwind is a multiple normal attack and Raelin's range is 1, you can move Finn up first, then send in Raelin next to him for a chance at multiple attacks of 4. The heroes will lock down a few enemies and prevent them from advancing on your Templars to steal the charge bonus. A lucky cavalryman or two might be able to charge right in and get adjacent to Finn/Concan and an Utgar figure at once for a massive attack, but either way they'll be driving right into the enemy and entering Raelin's aura at the same time. And what do you know? The horde figures whirlwind is best against are also the same Rabble the knights can Dismiss.

Looks to me like near-future Jandar armies are going to be slamming multiple waves of melee attackers into enemies, each gaining benefits from the last: Finn/Concan first, giving a boost to new Raelin and Templars, allowing KoW and Dupuis to come in and clean up. Kind of a move away from "range is queen, ranged specials are king," and toward strong normal melee attacks that can attract multiple boosts. Throw in Gilbert and Eldgrim to your liking, and you've got wave after wave of steel that's constantly rallying and reinforcing itself. I prefer the modern and future guys myself from a flavor standpoint, but I have to admit Jandar's medieval contingent is going to offer some great gameplay.
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal
I am voting for the old, +2 is a big part of way to many of my armies.

Can we use both???

Now that would be really sweet, +3 defense. Get a bonding glyph so you can bond with any other card and you are set..........
Nah, it appears that there's a rule in the SotM book that says you may only have one of any figure with a particular name (which makes me wonder if anyone else is slated for a remake...)

Personally, while the new Raelin won't ever completely replace the old one, I like the new one as she can actually be used to fight... (and she has an awesome new sculpt that I'm itching to make customs of...)
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM

champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker
I'll be using them as two completely different Hero units.

Long live Heroscape.
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I can't say one's better than the other. I'm glad they are the same name figure and not two different figures as being able to have them both in the same army might be too powerful a defense aura to crack.

They both have their uses, and I think it makes for an interesting draft moment or army build. Do I think my army is going to need to spread out, making the 6 space aura a better bet? Do I plan to keep my army tight, working the four-space? Do I have fragile ranged figures for which one defense die is not enough? Do I have sturdy melee fighters who only need s amll boost but could benefit from a hero figure with a nice offensive swarm-beating ability?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units