Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old July 5th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Flash_19's Maps & Scenarios: New Map 7/4/18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I agree that it's a cool-looking map. I'm trying out maps in preparation for the Monthly right now, so I'll add it to my list for sure! At first look it does look a tad range-friendly right now, though -- there's a lot of protected non-lava high ground that figures can camp on and snipe glyphs -- but there are a lot of balancing factors you've put into it so I'll give it a spin and let you know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Love the new map! The aesthetics seem pretty good, though VS pics never do the jungle justice. I agree with Bigga about the range-friendliness. The ruins do a great job of blocking line of sight in the middle, but it seems like if you can get past the ruins then you can just shoot down into the start zone. Perhaps the jungle mitigates that a bit. Also, props for handling the ruin asymmetry in a clever, careful way. That's always hard to navigate!

By the way, I love the shape of your map! It looks slightly familiar!
First off, thanks so much for feedback. I love it when people tell me their thoughts on my maps. Secondly, I agree with you guys totally. This map definitely leans towards range - I was hoping the jungle and the placement of the jungle would help mitigate that a bit. I actually had another version of the map that had a majority of lava field tiles on that second to highest level. I’m actually curious what you guys would think of that one since having more lava field tiles on that level could help prevent camping up there - I’ll try and get it posted later today if I can to see what you think. I had shied away from it because I like lava to be more spread out. There might be a happy compromise though.

And yes [MENTION=7961]rednax[/MENTION], I’ve always loved the shape of your maps. . I love maps with clear distinct start zones, and having the back three rows with no odd gaps or anything is awesome.
Hmm. You definitely don't want all the high ground to be lava. (That was a problem my maps had for a while.) That being said, I think your map could probably have a bit more high ground lava without it being overkill. The high ground near the center of the map seems most advantageous, as you can shoot people on high ground from far away. If you make that area lava, that forces the range to come closer to the start zones to avoid lava damage, which makes them more reachable for melee.

I will admit that this is all theoretical though, so don't place too much weight on my opinions alone. I would love to at least see both map versions to compare!
Old July 5th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@rednax and @BiggaBullfrog - here was the other version. I feel like it's a little too lava heavy on the top - So, I'm gunna try tinkering with the terrain and see if I can make more of a compromise between the two.

I also had another version with the gap between the two ruins taken down a level - the map felt really fast that way, but it would sure make it harder to camp.

Curious what you think:
Morag_AlternateVersion

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old July 5th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
[MENTION=7961]rednax[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8793]BiggaBullfrog[/MENTION] - here was the other version. I feel like it's a little too lava heavy on the top - So, I'm gunna try tinkering with the terrain and see if I can make more of a compromise between the two.

I also had another version with the gap between the two ruins taken down a level - the map felt really fast that way, but it would sure make it harder to camp.

Curious what you think:
Morag_AlternateVersion
It's interesting to see the other option, though I'm not sure if the lava is fine, or if it's too much. It's hard to say without actually playing a game on it. I would say just keep playing around. I like the idea of lowering the height between the ruins. That might give it a feel similar to Common Ground, which is a pretty good map. But again, this is all theoretical.
Old July 5th, 2018, 09:55 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Yeah I think a compromise between the two would be great. One of my larger concerns with the first version (and to an extent the other) is that lava that's surrounding on the level below the ruin level. Where the first version has non-lava on top of that lava, it means figures can hide behind the ruin, and any figures running around the ruin to attack them are punished by lava. I think if you take that lava and bump it up to that level while bumping down that rock to the level below it will help even things out. That way the high ground is really strong, but has the cost of lava, and figures attacking up will be able to do so safely.

That would also help combat one of my other concerns of the map, being that if an army takes the high ground they'll have a huge advantage since it's all so central, and the glyphs are pretty vulnerable to it.

Then as an aside, I think that single hex of lava close to the start zone feels out of place -- you could probably get better mileage out of them if you switched them to a more important spot.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old July 5th, 2018, 11:07 PM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Quote:
@rednax and @BiggaBullfrog - here was the other version. I feel like it's a little too lava heavy on the top - So, I'm gunna try tinkering with the terrain and see if I can make more of a compromise between the two.

Curious what you think:
Morag_AlternateVersion
It's interesting to see the other option, though I'm not sure if the lava is fine, or if it's too much. It's hard to say without actually playing a game on it. I would say just keep playing around. I like the idea of lowering the height between the ruins. That might give it a feel similar to Common Ground, which is a pretty good map. But again, this is all theoretical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Yeah I think a compromise between the two would be great. One of my larger concerns with the first version (and to an extent the other) is that lava that's surrounding on the level below the ruin level. Where the first version has non-lava on top of that lava, it means figures can hide behind the ruin, and any figures running around the ruin to attack them are punished by lava. I think if you take that lava and bump it up to that level while bumping down that rock to the level below it will help even things out. That way the high ground is really strong, but has the cost of lava, and figures attacking up will be able to do so safely.

That would also help combat one of my other concerns of the map, being that if an army takes the high ground they'll have a huge advantage since it's all so central, and the glyphs are pretty vulnerable to it.

Then as an aside, I think that single hex of lava close to the start zone feels out of place -- you could probably get better mileage out of them if you switched them to a more important spot.
You guys rock. I really appreciate your insights and expertise.

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old July 11th, 2018, 09:33 AM

@BiggaBullfrog and @rednax - Morag has been updated! Check out the updated version in my first post. Thanks again so much you two for the great feedback, it was very very helpful. If I could give you more +rep, I would. Any further suggestions for improvement is appreciated.

Bigga - don't feel pressured into playtesting it for the upcoming Utah tournament - if you were going to do it anyway, then great. But you're going to be a busy man with all these requests for ARV map feedback coming in. Some of those will be from me.

Speaking of the ARV, I overdid myself with how many maps I made. I now have the terrible decision of trying to decide which ones to submit. So I could use some help!
Hopefully it's okay with the judges if I post the four maps here and get feedback on which ones to submit @BiggaBullfrog , @Sir Heroscape , @Nomad , and @Robber )

Old July 11th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
@BiggaBullfrog and @rednax - Morag has been updated! Check out the updated version in my first post. Thanks again so much you two for the great feedback, it was very very helpful. If I could give you more +rep, I would. Any further suggestions for improvement is appreciated.

Bigga - don't feel pressured into playtesting it for the upcoming Utah tournament - if you were going to do it anyway, then great. But you're going to be a busy man with all these requests for ARV map feedback coming in. Some of those will be from me.

Speaking of the ARV, I overdid myself with how many maps I made. I now have the terrible decision of trying to decide which ones to submit. So I could use some help!
Hopefully it's okay with the judges if I post the four maps here and get feedback on which ones to submit @BiggaBullfrog , @Sir Heroscape , @Nomad , and @Robber )
That would feel a little bit like playing favorites if we told you what to submit...I’d rather we give you feedback on their designs and allow you to make the decision on which ones you feel good about. I’d say we’re willing to give feedback on map design, but anything further than that we have to be careful because it is a contest after all.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old July 11th, 2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:

That would feel a little bit like playing favorites if we told you what to submit...I’d rather we give you feedback on their designs and allow you to make the decision on which ones you feel good about. I’d say we’re willing to give feedback on map design, but anything further than that we have to be careful because it is a contest after all.
Okay. That sounds very fair to me. I just hope I don't overwhelm you guys with asking for feedback on them.

Thanks!

Old July 11th, 2018, 06:18 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Hey Flash, I got a chance to play on your revised Jandars Summoning Circle and I very much liked it. I tried out my Dungeon Defenders Format on it that I'll be using for the next tournament I host.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Hey Flash, I got a chance to play on your revised Jandars Summoning Circle and I very much liked it. I tried out my Dungeon Defenders Format on it that I'll be using for the next tournament I host.
Dude, that's awesome! I'm glad you liked it. Those crystals look so cool by the way. You're making me wish I had a 3D printer! That format looks really fun - I want to try it out for sure.

BTW, I also love your little star gate things - those could make for some really awesome scenario games too.

Old July 11th, 2018, 10:14 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Dude, that's awesome! I'm glad you liked it. Those crystals look so cool by the way. You're making me wish I had a 3D printer! That format looks really fun - I want to try it out for sure.

BTW, I also love your little star gate things - those could make for some really awesome scenario games too.
Indeed. I'm betting there will be a set of crystals on the prize table with some cards for them. The portals are going to be pretty slick. I've been printing tons of cool stuff for all my board games and scape. I'm printing some cool stuff for zombicide black plague right now.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:24 PM

Okay, here they are! The few maps I'm considering submitting to the ARV. I would love any feedback you have on any of them as I make the tough decision. I have grown to love building maps, and might get a little carried away sometimes...

ARV Judges: @Sir Heroscape , @BiggaBullfrog , @Nomad , @Robber - thanks for all you guys do. These contests are awesome! I really appreciate the time and effort you guys put into this. As previously pointed out by Sir Heroscape, I'd love to know general feedback on the maps, but not which ones you hope I submit. Sorry for giving you so much to do!

Map 1: The Artifact at Forgotten Lake
Requires 1x RotV, 2x RttFF

.hsc file
I like how this map plays. This map feels more thematic to me than some of the others - the basic idea is a powerful object was hidden in the lake to keep it from falling into the wrong hands, but now the lake is drying up and the object has been found.
I'm sure some people will be concerned that I have an attack glyph down in the middle - because of that, I tried to make that spot very very vulnerable, but I understand that some people feel strongly that an attack glyph doesn't belong on a tournament map. I could definitely see a defense glyph there instead, but the attack glyph felt more thematic - dangerous object that needs to be hidden.
When I playtested this map, the three power glyphs didn't feel like too much, but I have strongly considered swapping the two outside glyphs for treasure glyphs and having a strong glyph in the middle.
I am slightly concerned about larger figures being able to move on the sides - the space between the ruins and the bridge wall is kind of tight.

Map 2: The Crypt
Requires 1x RotV, 1x BftU, 1x FotA

.hsc file
This map also feels very thematic to me - I wanted to build an underground crypt, and wanted to use the walls to represent walls of the cave that armies are entering to find the treasure.
Though it feels very thematic, this is the map I feel the least confident about in terms of the build. If you download the PDF, you'll notice I had some special rules ideas - I don't know if these would be kosher on a tournament map - so you can check those rules out and see what you think.
This map also has ladders on it - I don't feel strong about those, I just kind of put them on as an afterthought. I like ladders, though most tournament maps don't have them, and I don't think the map is in huge need of the movement enhancement.
I pooled the shadow tiles where they are to help melee units combat any ranged units that might take a position on one of those two hills. Units approaching the other direction have a shadow tile as well, along with a bit of cover to hide behind.

Map 3: Receding Glacier (lame name I know - need to put more thought into it)
Requires 1x RotV, 1x TT, 1x RttFF

.hsc file
I really like this map, but feel like it's a little weaker thematically. My idea was a mountain pass where the glacier is starting to recede, revealing treasures hidden in the ice.
This map has two power glyphs and two treasure glyphs. That seems like a lot of glyphs to me, but it might not be too bad. I kind of struggled with glyph placement for the treasure glyphs - if you have a better suggestion for those glyphs, please let me know.

Map 4: Battlefield23 (No, I'm not really going to call it this)
Requires 1x RotV, 1x TJ, 1x FotA

And because I hate how jungle looks on VS, have a pretty but slightly blurry picture. Note that glyphs are not in the picture.

.hsc file
I love this map and think it's super solid with the build, but again, this map might not be the best fit thematically. The story behind this one was a crumbling ruin where treasures have been found among the remains.
This map is similar to the previous one in that I wonder if there are too many glyphs on it. I'm also concerned about the placement of treasure glyphs on this map - but I'm not sure about a better place to put them.

Last edited by Flash_19; July 11th, 2018 at 11:01 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios