Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Hawk14 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Iraq Politics Debate!! Tame for now

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/iraq/iraqdeaths.html

Thought I should post this because it's important.
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Master Marvel-CoN Host

SgtDrill knows what's in an order marker SgtDrill knows what's in an order marker SgtDrill knows what's in an order marker
Right. Because everything you read on the internet must be true.

SgtDrill is Captain America ...
in the Battle Against WotC...
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Another partisan opinion from the opposite side: http://newsbusters.org/node/8310

~Aldin, balancingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Hawk14 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
on 2006, 600,000 dead.
now, 2007, many more dead.
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Another partisan opinion from the opposite side: http://newsbusters.org/node/8310

~Aldin, balancingly
yeah, that was 2006, and 600,000 dead.
Hawk, I'm not taking sides here, but did you understand that the site I linked argues that the methodology for the death counter is flawed?

~Aldin, who imagines that there isn't a single politically charged "fact" that doesn't have a mirror opposite online

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk14
Quote:

~Aldin, balancingly
yeah, that was 2006, and 600,000 dead.
Hawk, I'm not taking sides here, but did you understand that the site I linked argues that the methodology for the death counter is flawed?

~Aldin, who imagines that there isn't a single politically charged "fact" that doesn't have a mirror opposite online
Something else to take into account is even if the supposedly inflated 600,000 is correct, and it was the highest estimate at that time, then the estimate linked in the first post almost doubles that in a years time. That sounds fishy to me. Just running general numbers of 400,000 divided by 365 that means that over 1000 Iraqis die daily. I think that would make news.

As a related side note it is a lot of fun to actually do the calculations on some of these statistics. There are a lot that really make you say BS when you do it.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Sadaam killed over a million Kurds...but thats ok right?
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM

jaques has disabled reputation
2002 A.D.

Country A: 32 million people recently liberated from a repressive regime, welcoming us as heroes while their infrastructure lay in a shambles from decades of war and corruption. Known terrorists definitely in the region, including Osama Bin Laden.

Country I: 27 million people in three highly antagonistic ethnic groups kept in check by a repressive regime that our intelligence said was unlikely to use WMD against us unless invaded. Dubious/uncertain connections to terrorists.

Option 1: invest hundreds of billions of dollars rebuilding Country A, catching the terrorists in the area, and making ourselves look like a great group of folks throughout the muslim world.

Option 2: invest hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of our soldiers' lives invading Country I, causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths in the process, with every possibility of a protracted insurgency that will worsen, rather than improve, our standing in the eyes of islamic countries.

Which option sounds more sensible? Please note that Option 1 does not preclude us from keeping an eye on Country I and engaging in diplomacy to get larger numbers of allies on our side should a later invasion prove necessary.
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaques
2002 A.D.

Country A: 32 million people recently liberated from a repressive regime, welcoming us as heroes while their infrastructure lay in a shambles from decades of war and corruption. Known terrorists definitely in the region, including Osama Bin Laden.

Country I: 27 million people in three highly antagonistic ethnic groups kept in check by a repressive regime that our intelligence said was unlikely to use WMD against us unless invaded. Dubious/uncertain connections to terrorists.

Option 1: invest hundreds of billions of dollars rebuilding Country A, catching the terrorists in the area, and making ourselves look like a great group of folks throughout the muslim world.

Option 2: invest hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of our soldiers' lives invading Country I, causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths in the process, with every possibility of a protracted insurgency that will worsen, rather than improve, our standing in the eyes of islamic countries.

Which option sounds more sensible? Please note that Option 1 does not preclude us from keeping an eye on Country I and engaging in diplomacy to get larger numbers of allies on our side should a later invasion prove necessary.
Wow! When you put it like that suddenly it all becomes so clear - how could anyone disagree?

~Aldin, who really does NOT want to see an Iraq debate here but appreciates jaques' willingness to demonstrate how polarized political debate can become online

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:49 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
A shiny glass crater in the middle of that region would've made a great solar power station. But did anyone listen to me?

NoooOOOOOoooo.
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:00 AM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDrill
Right. Because everything you read on the internet must be true.
I hear everything on wikipedia is true!
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Desperately trying to say something to get this thread locked

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General