Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Pirate Set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardris1287 View Post
This is starting to feel like a customs idea. Anyway, I like the ship, it's awesome. I want to toss out the idea of sky pirates! This is a 'pirates' thread isn't it? Just imagine a squad of pistol bearing, jet-pack wearing pirates flying around the board.
Just wanted to share this with everyone who enjoys this sort of thing.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Why wait?

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...54&postcount=1
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
This is starting to feel like a customs idea. Anyway, I like the ship, it's awesome. I want to toss out the idea of sky pirates! This is a 'pirates' thread isn't it? Just imagine a squad of pistol bearing, jet-pack wearing pirates flying around the board.
The problem with flying pirates would be the obvious issue of point cost. On a separate note, I think we should open up a thread for pirate customs, where we can post stat/card ideas, as well as match existing figures to those. I need a place to dump my stat ideas so that they can get some feedback, soooo.... Why not?

Sometimes, you just have to start over.
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Nostradumbass

DrAwsm is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysto2002 View Post
Quote:
The problem with flying pirates would be the obvious issue of point cost. On a separate note, I think we should open up a thread for pirate customs, where we can post stat/card ideas, as well as match existing figures to those. I need a place to dump my stat ideas so that they can get some feedback, soooo.... Why not?
I don't know. I think the flying pirates could work. They'd have to be from the future, though. And their leader is the arch rival of Agent Carr or something. Then they'd get a boost when they attack agents or robots or something.

As a side note, I like the idea of a stats thread, but I think it'd be a bit redundant. We can just post our stats here. I for one took the time to read those pirate stats and thought they were a pretty good squad, but shouldn't the pirates be seperated into ranged and melee squads?
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know. I think the flying pirates could work. They'd have to be from the future, though. And their leader is the arch rival of Agent Carr or something. Then they'd get a boost when they attack agents or robots or something.

As a side note, I like the idea of a stats thread, but I think it'd be a bit redundant. We can just post our stats here. I for one took the time to read those pirate stats and thought they were a pretty good squad, but shouldn't the pirates be seperated into ranged and melee squads?
I considered that, but I wanted them to be somewhat around the level of the 10th Reg, with a range/melee base with the other as a special attack, and I decided on ranged base. Though I could switch it easily and meld the gunpowder ability with it.

I have more coming soon! I'm hoping to fill out most/all of that unit list I made.

Old September 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Fully Baked

Most of my units need names and serious revision, as this is my first crack at customs, but here's one I think I like, I'll post more later.

The second ability needs a bit of revision, but otherwise I liked the concept. I envisioned the squad being composed of a Hammerhead, Homarid, and octopus-like demons, draped in seaweed.

Help me find a pic, if possible!

Last edited by krysto2002; September 8th, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Actually, a lot of people want pirates, so the subject comes up from time to time.

But I don't think we should be too optimistic about the idea, because...

- Pirates need a boat.
- The boat would have to be somewhat large.
- So then, take the number of hexes you think would be an adequate size for the boat, then try to figure out how you could possibly turn.

Going straight is easy, turning is pretty much out of the question.
What about a half sunken boat that pirates get a bonus when they are next to it? Then you could have a cool looking LOS blocker and not have to worry about ship movement.
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Fully Baked

I've decided to alter the Pirate's cutlass ability, it now will read "Cutlass Attack"
When rolling attack dice against an adjacent figure, a pirate adds 1 to his attack dice.
The sea legs ability no longer offers dodging, though I may reconsider this.

Old September 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker

So far no one else has been transported to valhalla with there vehicles, so why would pirates from earth be any different. Even just a squad and a hero in a normal wave would be good enough.

Dund is just tricky, that's all.
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:41 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I've decided to alter the Pirate's cutlass ability, it now will read "Cutlass Attack"
When rolling attack dice against an adjacent figure, a pirate adds 1 to his attack dice.
The sea legs ability no longer offers dodging, though I may reconsider this.

Howabout this for your demon pic?? They are known as Wastrilith, and they are aquatic demons. Up to you though

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Fully Baked

They look good, but lack legs, I was thinking of something like this except in color and draped in seaweed.

If you want more, please tell me, I have more to post.

Old September 9th, 2010, 01:18 AM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Actually, a lot of people want pirates, so the subject comes up from time to time.

But I don't think we should be too optimistic about the idea, because...

- Pirates need a boat.
- The boat would have to be somewhat large.
- So then, take the number of hexes you think would be an adequate size for the boat, then try to figure out how you could possibly turn.

Going straight is easy, turning is pretty much out of the question.
What about a half sunken boat that pirates get a bonus when they are next to it? Then you could have a cool looking LOS blocker and not have to worry about ship movement.
A boat that doesn't move seems the only truly viable solution. But would that be enough to sell the pirates concept? Personally, some figs with piratey abilities wouldn't do it. I think this needs to be looked at more from a marketability standpoint than a "what is possible" given the game mechanics standpoint. Given what is possible (some figs with piratey abilities and a stationary boat) I don't believe we have a viable MS (and it would have to be a MS otherwise there is no boat). And so far Hasbro/WotC seems to agree with me.

I don't want to be perceived as the ClanCampbell (sorry CC) of pirates. I want them as much as anyone, but wanting something really badly and it being a viable business option aren't the same thing.

I see a lot of this sort of thinking on here... I really, really want it therefore Hasbro/WotC should make it. Sorry kids, that's not how it works. There are a ton of real world business considerations to take into account, and most of them we aren't aware of. But in this case I do think it's fairly clear that pirates (at least as far as I view them, with a movable boat, etc) can NOT happen. The game mechanics involved just aren't do-able. Anyone that can come up with viable movement rules please feel free to prove me wrong.

Now, if we played a game involving tape measures, it would be a different story...

As an aside, image you aren't hardcore enough to belong to a fan site like this, you don't "see 'scape, buy 'scape". You're just a casual player wanting to expand your collection. There's a new MS... "Pirates!" and you find by researching it that the boats can not move. Are you still interested? To me, and I'd suspect many others, at least half the draw of pirates is the swashbuckling, high seas adventures which can NOT happen with a stationary ship. Now imagine you're a WotC product marketing coordinator (if such a thing actually exists for 'Scape). Are you really willing to bet your career on a product that will disappoint a good number of your target demographic?

That's the reality of it, and the basis on which it will be green-lighted. It doesn't really matter if a small segment of the hardcore would accept a "crippled" version of the concept. The mass appeal just wouldn't be there (IMO).

My custom Terrain and Units.

My HS pics

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion