Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old February 24th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness
All-Heroscape Mega-Tournament - 2018 to 2022

Ready for this?

That question was directed at me . . . because I'm not quite sure I am.

Background: Over the last eight years or so, my family and friends have periodically conducted large scale tournaments that generally run the course of an entire year. I haven't posted battle reports from those tournaments here on Heroscapers before due to time constraints, but I thought I would give it go this year and share in progress.

In the past we have run formats that have included classic 510 points, classic huge armies of 1000 points, and C3G 1200 points, among others.

Date: All of 2018.

Format:
This year's format is 450 points, 15 figures, 4-team groups in a round-robin. Winners of each group and some wild-cards will advance to the next round. Partial card scoring will be used. Some round-robin groups conclude in a single setting, some get stretched out over time.

Armies:
Here is the kicker - every classic, C3V, SoV, and NWHC must appear in at least one army before the first round of groups is over. Who knows how long it will take or if we will even get there. But the fun is in the journey.

You probably won't see any A+ armies in this tournament. We build the armies starting with a random figure, trying to stay within a theme or that has some synergy. We then select the armies from an ever growing list of armies when we are ready to play (a total of 145 armies were constructed). Sure, there are some armies that are not very good, but the challenge is to play them competitively.

Who: Myself, my brother, my son, my nephews, my nieces, a number of their friends, my brother-in-law, some friends of mine, and some others in the greater WA/OR Heroscape community. We do engage in some solo-play when testing maps and figures. Only a few of us have handles here on Heroscapers - hopefully they will chime in from time to time.

What follows is a report on each of the round-robin groups. I will try to include some pics. Some reports will be more detailed than others depending on who played. Some might only have the final score of the battle.

I will link to NWHC figures, but some are still in play-testing and are being fine-tuned.

Your commentary on battles and predictions for upcoming groups would be cool. Questions are always welcome.

Last edited by Nomad; November 26th, 2022 at 02:34 PM. Reason: It has taken a long time . . .
Old February 24th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: All-Heroscape Mega-Tournament - 2018

Here are the brackets for the All-Heroscape Big Dance single-elimination tournament. The number in front of the army is the seeding based on group play results.

Here are the final standings for the 1st Round Groupings.

These armies earned a first-round bye in the Big Dance by finishing in the top 32

Spoiler Alert!

Here are the 64 armies that qualified to battle in the first round of the Big Dance

Spoiler Alert!

And here are the bottom feeders, armies that failed to qualify for the single-elimination tournament

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Nomad; February 21st, 2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old February 24th, 2018, 05:48 PM

Here is the first grouping, this round-robin group was conducted on January 20, 2018. I won't say who had which army . . .

Galdy's Knights: Death Knights x3, Sir Hawthorne, Skull Demon, Gald'Rabok = 445

Master's Animae: Sylvan Animae x2, Master of the Hunt, Arktos, Jean de Ascalon, Varkaanan Greyspears =450

Siege's Warforged: Warforged Soldiers x3, Heirloom, Seige = 450

Tu-Rok's Groks: Grok Riders x2, Tu-Rok-Sa, Ne-Gok-Sa = 450

NWHC figures are linked.

Last edited by Nomad; February 25th, 2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old February 25th, 2018, 09:30 AM

Group A - January 20, 2018

Sylvan and the Master close in on Siege

Battle 1: Siege's Warforged took on the Master's Animae on the map Balkrmyrr. Heirloom got some shots in to disrupt the podded Arktos and Greyspears early before falling. Siege did some heavy damage and was near invincible when Cragged up. Final score: Siege's Warforged 145, Master's Animae 0.
----------

Gald'Rabok and the Deathknights take the road

Battle 2: Galdy's Knights faced off with Tu-Rok's Groks on the map Nottiss. I was too busy in my own battle to get much of a detailed report. The Death Knights tore through the Groks. Final score: Galdy's Knights 215, Tu-Rok's Groks 0.
----------

Siege takes on Groks and Ne-Gok-Sa

Warforged switch Ne-Gok-Sa into the river

Battle 3: Tu-Rok's Groks tried to get into the win column against Siege's Warforged on the map Aldrnari. Siege pinned down the fast moving Grok Riders on the bridge for a few rounds before falling. Ne-Gok-Sa made a move toward his opponent's start zone, but fell to the Warforged, who also took out Tu-Rok-Sa before he could do much damage. Final score: Seige's Warforged 182, Tu-Rok's Groks 0.
----------
Battle 4: The Deathknights against the Hunters on Nottiss. This one was over before I could snap any pics or get much of report. Blow out. Final score: Galdy's Knights 305, Master's Animae 0.
----------
Battle 5: Consolation match-up between two armies with two defeats on Balkrmyrr. The Grok Riders were played to perfection with hot dice and a mind-shackle of poor Arktos. Final score: Tu-Rok's Groks 333, Master's Animae 0.
----------

Vydar vs. Valkrill for the Group A crown!

Battle 6: The Group A title came down to a battle between Warforged and Deathknights on Aldrnari. The Death Knights and Gald'Rabok seemed to get the upper hand early by taking control of the road and eventually taking out Siege before he could Crag on OM#1 in a round. But, a single Warforged Soldier tied down a few Death Knights round after round despite not rolling any defense dice. Warforged Resolve proved effective against Death Knights who couldn't roll more than one skull in attack. The Vydar army was eventually able to wear out Valkrill in a fun battle. Final score: Siege's Warforged 100, Galdy's Knights 0.

Group A Standings (W - L - Pts)
Siege's Warforged (3 - 0 - 427)
Galdy's Knights (2 - 1 - 420)
Tu-Rok's Groks (1 - 2 - -64)
Master's Animae (0 - 3 - -783)
Old February 25th, 2018, 09:40 AM

Group B battles started on January 31, 2018. Here were the contestants . . . report coming soon.

Acolarh's Ashra: Warriors of Ashra x3, Acolarh, Wardens of the Wood, Emirroon = 450

Alastair's Warriors: MacDirk Warriors x3, Sir Denrick, Alastair MacDirk = 450

Grim's Gruts: Heavy Gruts x3, Grimnak, Hrognak, Nerak = 440

Zaiken's Water:
Zaiken, Water Elemental x5, Sahuagin Raider x3, Fenn Hydra = 445

NWHC customs are linked.
Old February 27th, 2018, 12:27 AM

I have received some reports that the images from the Group A report can't be seen. Let me know - there should be six pics in the report. Thanks.
Old February 28th, 2018, 02:53 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I only count 5 pics in group A.

As for the next round, I think it'll go to Grimnak, although it'll probably come down to Grimnak and Zaiken.
Old March 24th, 2018, 08:44 PM

It took a while, but here is the report for Group B.

Group B - January 31, 2018

Battle 1: @ Forest Fire

Acolarh's Ashra: Warriors of Ashra x3, Acolarh, Wardens of the Wood, Emirroon = 450

Elves for dinner?

Things started tough for Ullar as Grimnak rolled an 18 to chomp poor Emirroon and Acolarh took a wound from the Wannock glyph in the first round. In round 2, the battle seemed to turn as the Wardens of the Wood, after killing a couple of Heavy Gruts in the first round, managed to deal out four wounds on Grimnak and kill another Heavy. The Warriors of Ashra were able to finish off Grimnak to end the round. Round 3 was an exercise in Defensive Agility, as the Ashra ladies rolled a shield in defense and just enough to take out more Gruts and deal some wounds to Nerak. Hrognak came out to play in rounds 4 and 5 to pick off Ashra from range, but was rolling mostly blanks. The battle ended with two lives left on Acolarh and a full squad of WoA.

Final Score: Acolarh's Ashra 94, Grim's Gruts 0
----------

Battle 2: @ Aldrnari

Zaiken's Water: Zaiken, Water Elemental x5, Sahuagin Raider x3, Fen Hydra = 445

Team MacDirk couldn’t have strategized or rolled any better. This was a Highland Festival on steroids. Alastair came out charging, taking out a Sahuagin Raider and putting two wounds on the Fen Hydra in the first round while the MacDirks put three wounds on Zaiken. Only one MacDirk fell in the round. In Round 2, things got ugly, quick. Alastair rolled 5 skulls to take out the Hydra before taking three wounds of his own and retreating to safety. One beefed-up MacDirk rolled 6 skulls to take Zaiken out of the battle, which meant two lost Order Markers for Team Water. The MacDirks crushed three Water Elementals to close the round. In the third and final round of this battle, it was just a matter of mopping-up for the MacDirks, who were rolling seven or eight dice in each attack. Alastair’s Warriors cruised to victory suffering only a very wounded Alastair and a few lost MacDirks.

Highland Fury!

Final Score: Alastair's Warriors 298, Zaiken's Water 0
----------

Battle 3: @ Ticallan Tower

A wall of water in the face of gruts.

Two armies needing a victory squared-off in this contest. In round one, Grimnak took a couple of wounds and three Heavies fell as only one Water Elemental went down the drain. Round two saw the battle continue to lean toward Water’s favor as a Sahuagin Raider punched out Grimnak with a +3 attack and three more Heavies fell hard while only a couple of Elementals perished. Then the tide turned. The Gruts focused all their power and might on poor Zaiken, who fell on order marker two, which meant, for the second straight battle, Team Water had lost two order markers in one round. Nerak and two more Gruts fell, but Water was down to the Hydra and one Elemental. In round four, Hrognak got his mojo going, taking out an Elemental from range while the Hydra suffered a wound. The battle ended on order marker one of the fifth round when Hrognak rolled a perfect three skulls and all the Hydra could manage was six skulls in defense.

The Hydra is cornered

Final Score: Grim's Gruts 130, Zaiken's Water 0
----------

Battle 4: @ Ticallan Tower

Those ladies have some fancy defensive moves!

General Alastair was worried heading into the face-off with Acolarh, wondering how his MacDirks would get past the one-shield defense of the Ashra. The battle started off slowly, as Emirroon could only summon one elf forward in two rolls, but he did manage to take out a MacDirk. Alastair killed a Warden while the MacDirks put three wounds on Emirroon to end the first round. In round two, Alastair’s worries came to fruition as the Ashra rolled at least one shield on seven straight MacDirk attacks before one finally fell. Three MacDirks fell and Alastair was down to two lives as the round came to a close. To start the third round, Alastair tried to leave two engagements in attempt to flee to safety, but two skulls were rolled and Alastair was no more. The MacDirks did their best, taking out two Ashra while Acolarh saved two others. Ashra struggled in their attacks, but a MacDirk did fall from a Warden’s ranged shot. Round four was fairly even with a few wounds and deaths on each side. Denrik and the MacDirks gained the upper hand in round five, taking out the rest of the Ashra and Wardens. It was down to 3-life Denrick and three MacDirks against a full life Acolarh. Denrick rolled eight shields in two defenses against the elf, and was able to take out the Ullar flag-bearer on order marker three to end it in this come-from-behind victory for the forces of Jandar.

Final Score: Alastair's Warriors 120, Acolarh's Ashra 0
----------

Battle 5: @ Barren Plateau

Hail Hydra!

Can Ashra rebound from a disappointing defeat? Can Team Water earn any respect? The Hydra came out early to try to strike some elves from range, which it did. The Hydra was able to stay in the battle until the fifth round and was backed up by hydrants of water flowing from the Elementals. The elves lost two order markers that round as the the last of the Ashra and the Wardens fell. Zaiken mostly watched from the back of the barren plateau, as his teammates routed Acolarh in the sixth round. RESPECT indeed as all five Elementals, two Sahaugins, and Zaiken were high-fiving at the end. Maybe I should have played this team differently in the first two battles . . .

Water Fall

Final Score: Zaiken's Water 300, Acolarh's Ashra 0
----------

Battle 6: @ Barren Plateau

Can Grimnak chomp some kilts?

This was it for Grim’s Gruts. They would need a big showing against undefeated Alastair to make the next round. The big dinosaur chomped, and chomped, and chomped some more. Grimnak chomped five MacDirks and even killed one with an attack. And get this . . . Grimnak got a 20 on the 20-sider to chomp Denrick in the third and final round. Alastair managed to last until the end, but even the MacDirks with their additional attack dice couldn’t inflict much damage. Five Heavies, a 3-life Grimnak, and full-life Nerak and Hrognak remained standing. Now this was the army we expected to see.

Final Score: Grim's Gruts 270, Alastair's Warriors 0
----------

Group B Standings (W - L - Pts)
Grim's Gruts (2 – 1 – 306)
Alastair's Warriors (2 – 1 – 148 )
Zaiken's Water (1 – 2 - -128 )
Acolarh's Ashra (1 – 2 - -326)
Old March 25th, 2018, 10:19 AM

Group C battles were conducted on February 17, 2018. Here were the contestants . . .

Heracles' Earth: Kronan, Earth Elemental 4, Heracles = 450

Drake's Infantry: Airborne Elite, 8th Infantry Pathfinder x4, Captain John Varan, Sgt. Drake Alexander v1 = 440

Azurite's Armocs: Armoc Vipers x2, Azurite Warlord, Kyssandra, Ellesar = 450

Zaeus's Gorillas: Gorillinators x2, Nakita Agents, Zaeus, Jean de Ascalon = 450

NWHC customs are linked.
Old April 8th, 2018, 10:46 AM

Group C – February 17, 2018

Battle 1: Barren Plateau

Drake's Infantry: Airborne Elite, 8th Infantry Pathfinder x4, Captain John Varan, Sgt. Drake Alexander v1 = 440

In the first round, the 8th took out a couple of Armocs, but Kyssandra laid an egg to rebirth one of them and the snakes grabbed the Ulavina and Dagmar glyphs. The Airborne Elite dropped to start round two and proceeded to pick off four Armocs and put two wounds on Kyssandra. The snakes managed to take out two Airborne and two Airborne, but the last Armoc retreated to end the round. Kyssandra picked up a couple more wounds and laid another egg, but the Snakes lost their third Order Marker when Captain Varan shot down the Armoc in round three. The snakes lost another turn when Kyssandra fell to start round four. Azurite Warlord’s turn, taking out two while earning four wounds. In round five, Azurite fell after killing the last Pathfinder and wounding Varan. Varan used his special attack to finish Azurite and put two wounds on Ellesar, the last remaining figure. In the sixth round, Ellesar won initiative, rolled three skulls to kill Varan who whiffed in defense. Team army lost two turns. Ellesar special attacked Drake twice but failed. Drake won initiative in round seven, engaged Ellesar, and rolled six skulls to end the battle.

Final Score: Drake's Infantry 133, Azurite's Armocs 0.
----------
Battle 2: Barren Plateau

First time playing with Heracles! Strategy? Rush him out and see what the myth is made of. Not much when I can’t roll defense. Heracles was gone by the first turn in round two. Zero shields with eight dice for four wounds against Nakita attacks, an engagement strike for a wound, zero shields with five dice against Zeaus’s Rail Gun for another wound, and then the Nakita’s took him out. Blah. Enter Kronan and his Earth Elementals with their hot rolling attacks. Six times in rounds two through five, Kronan and friends rolled four skulls while Vydar’s squad lost four turns when Zeaus and then the last of the Nakitas fell. The Gorillinators just couldn’t manage enough firepower. Quite the comeback after losing 200 points so early. At the end, Kronan had two life remaining and one Earth Elemental was left standing.

Final Score: Heracles' Earth 79, Zaeus's Gorillas 0.
----------
Battle 3: Thaeberian Wellsprings v2

The Airborne Elite dropped prior to starting the battle, killing Zeaus, two Nakitas, and two Gorillinators in the first round. The battle was pretty much over. The Gorillinators and the last Nakita hung tough and dragged things out until the fifth round. At the end, two Airborne, Drake, three Pathfinders, and a twice wounded Varan were laughing.

Final Score: Drake's Infantry 318, Zaeus's Gorillas 0.
----------
Battle 4: Thaeberian Wellsprings v2

Maybe Heracles’ Earth came in overconfident because they tried the same strategy as their first battle. Heracles picked up the Heroic Rune, bumping his attack, but again, the myth could not roll defense. Azurite Warlord rolled three skulls for three wounds on Heracles and then the Armocs handed him another. Heracles responded with four skulls for four wounds on Azurite. Azurite then put away poor Heracles with five skulls to close the first round. In addition, Kronan was wounded twice, including one from the Wannock glyph. In round two, the snakes slithered and swarmed Kronan and all of the poor rolling Earth Elementals to end this very, very short battle. Kyssandra, Ellesar, and five Armocs remained on the battle field.

Final Score: Azurite's Armocs 283, Heracles' Earth 0.

----------
Battle 5: Aldrnari

The Apes were hoping to safe face in their final battle of the round. The Snakes were hoping to get another victory in hopes of moving on in the tournament. Things were looking up for Vydar in the first round as only one Gorillinator and one Nakita perished while three Armocs bit the dust and Azurite suffered three wounds. Then things got ugly. Azurite slammed five skulls to kill Zeaus in one attack resulting in two lost turns in the second round. Kyssandra laid a couple of Armoc eggs. It was all Kyssandra and the Armocs the rest of the way.

Final Score: Azurite's Armocs 178, Zaeus's Gorillas 0.
----------
Battle 6: Aldrnari

Airborne dropped. Airborne killed Kronan on first turn, which meant three lost turns in round one. The Elite wiped out all five Earth Elementals to close the round. This one is over. The Airborne rolled ten skulls with twelve dice to put four wounds on Heracles to start round two, but the myth fought hard and did some damage until the fourth round when a four skull roll from a Pathfinder final ended the route. Man, that Airborne Elite squad can be devastating.

Final Score: Drake's Infantry 207, Heracles' Earth 0.
----------

Group C Standings (W - L - Pts)
Drake's Infantry (3 – 0 – 658 )
Azurite's Armocs (2 – 1 – 328 )
Heracles' Earth (1 – 2 - -411)
Zaeus's Gorillas (0 – 3 - -575)
Old April 12th, 2018, 11:32 AM

Group D battles were conducted on February 21, 2018. Here were the contestants . . .

Omega's Omni: Omnicron Snipers, Omegacron, Omnicron Repulsors x2, Gammacron = 440

Davion's Guards: Guardians of Davion x2, Michael Davion
Alyssa Davion, Ellesar = 445

Su-Bak-Na's Dividers: Marro Dividers x3, Kee-Mo-Shi, Su-Bak-Na, Isamu = 450

Sudema's Mummies: Crypt Guardian x2, Sudema, Gurei-Oni, Corpse Tormentors = 450

Got any predictions on which army came out on top?

NWHC customs are linked, accept for the Corpse Tormentors, which are currently still in the play-testing phase of development. Here are their stats and powers:

General: Vydar
Planet: Feylund

Species: Undead
Unique Squad
Class: Devourer
Personality: Tormenting
Medium 5

Life: 1
Move: 4
Range: 1
Attack: 2
Defense: 6
90 Points

SCREECH OF THE UNDEAD
All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their normal attack and 1 die from their defense. Undead figures are not affected by Screech of the Undead.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 15 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.
Old April 12th, 2018, 11:41 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I think the Marro will take this one.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports