Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old October 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM

greenless is surprisingly tart
Re: The Top 10 Most Frequently Overlooked (yet [ab]used) Rul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Figures must kill any figures with which they are engaged before attacking any others.
this forgotten rule doesnt seem right to me. according to this if my hero is engaged to lets sat a rat. then a more important figure like raelin or Q9 moves up behind my hero and engages, this says i cant attack the more important figure until the kill thier rat first??

the rest of your list is great just this one thing caught me.
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenless View Post
Quote:
Figures must kill any figures with which they are engaged before attacking any others.
this forgotten rule doesnt seem right to me. according to this if my hero is engaged to lets sat a rat. then a more important figure like raelin or Q9 moves up behind my hero and engages, this says i cant attack the more important figure until the kill thier rat first??

the rest of your list is great just this one thing caught me.
If Q9 is engaged (next to) your figure while you're also engaged to a rat, you can pick either one to attack.

If Q9 is 2 spaces behind, no, you can't attack him with that figure. Nothing is stopping you from swinging around (and staying engaged) to the rat, or walking away and risking a leaving engagement attack.

This is part of why rats are so good.

I'll clarify the statement, to say "Figures must kill any figures with which they are engaged before they attack any figures with which they are not engaged."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM

forget the rats. the example i provided was to argue that it is not a absolute necesity that i "must kill" any engaged figures before attacking another. the way you worded yours says that even if i risk a disengagement i still must kill that figure before moving on, or attacking another engaged figure.
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
forget the rats. the example i provided was to argue that it is not a absolute necesity that i "must kill" any engaged figures before attacking another. the way you worded yours says that even if i risk a disengagement i still must kill that figure before moving on, or attacking another engaged figure.
I guess I just fail at logic. I don't see how my statement is any different than what you're saying. You have to kill what you're engaged to before you attack something else, but if you're not engaged (like by disengaging) that first statement won't apply.

I'll look up the exact wording in the rulebook. Rule 6 on this list should help make it clear.

p. 11 of SotM says:

If one of your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, your figure may attack only those figures.

I'll change that part.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; October 19th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM

the rule book quote there is saying you cant attack both with a normal attack just because you are engaged to both. what it does NOT say is you MUST kill one or the other first, as was initially stated incorrectly. Also, i am assuming it is taken out of context in that the option of risking a disengagement was omitted in the qoute.

i meant nothing against you when pointing out the cloudiness in your one statement. the wording of that one line just made me read it 4 times and i was still left unsure.

otherwise, keep up the good work
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
the rule book quote there is saying you cant attack both with a normal attack just because you are engaged to both. what it does NOT say is you MUST kill one or the other first, as was initially stated incorrectly. Also, i am assuming it is taken out of context in that the option of risking a disengagement was omitted in the qoute.

i meant nothing against you when pointing out the cloudiness in your one statement. the wording of that one line just made me read it 4 times and i was still left unsure.

otherwise, keep up the good work
I think you should try parsing the rulebook quote again. That's not what it means.
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

greenless, you seem to have changed the premise of your question and then questioned the changing of the outcome of that same question.

If a figure is engaged with more than one figure, it can, in fact, attack any figure with which it is engaged. The timing of the engagement is of no consequence. But you cannot attack any figure you are not engaged with if you are engaged with another (or many other) figure(s). You must first attack (and destroy) those figures before attacking others you are not engaged with.
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
greenless, you seem to have changed the premise of your question and then questioned the changing of the outcome of that same question.

If a figure is engaged with more than one figure, it can, in fact, attack any figure with which it is engaged. The timing of the engagement is of no consequence. But you cannot attack any figure you are not engaged with if you are engaged with another (or many other) figure(s). You must first attack (and destroy) those figures before attacking others you are not engaged with.
Or disengage the figure you are currently engaged with, and then attack the ones you aren't engaged with.
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

It really doesn't seem to be the rule that Greenless is confused with so much as the wording that Jexik chose when he first wrote the thread.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous

Last edited by spidysox; October 19th, 2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: to say sorry to Jexik for spelling his name wrong
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Man, I'm really tired. For some reason this new signature addition sounded like a good idea.

Quote:
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Man, I'm really tired. For some reason this new signature addition sounded like a good idea.
Ooops, sorry. You would think that someone would actually read someones name before writing it. Oh well, I'll fix my mistake just for you.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM

i was not confused with the rules. the wording of one sentence confused me and made me question it.

i understand from this rule that if my ranged figure is engaged with a figure it cannot attack a non engaged figure without breaking engagement by either moving or destroying the engaged figure first. the rule in the book and the statement on this page didnt clearly say that, but hinted at it.

i hate rule lawyering. i used to play MtG with a group of guys and felt like killing a certain one of them everytime he opened his mouth because he thought he was a rules god. i should have kept my mouth shut.

just to let you all know i am not and at the rate things are going will never be a tournament player. i would love to play some competitive games but my only competition is my 9 yr old son, because of our location. hes getting better but most of the rules we follow have been our interpretations of the book. when more complicated situations started occuring as we added figures, i started coming here.

so according to this rule if say nilfheim were engaged to one figure, is that the only figure he can use his ice breath attack on if there are others in range? how about Q9 if he were in nilfs spot? or syvarris. are all these multi special attackers held in place so easily by a single engaged figure?

we have played single figures like a lone 4th mass engaged to a melee figure correctly, the 4th mass could only attack the said figure, but now i am questioning special attacks.

Last edited by greenless; October 20th, 2008 at 12:36 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's