Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old August 8th, 2021, 09:51 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HelmAverse Supers - Reinforcements Arrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
Edit: Speaking of Lil'Helm, he and I decided it was time to release a few of our most recent play tested designs. The first is one of his. Seems simple enough but plays quite interesting when trying to set up for the Special attack. The second is my design that we think captures a very difficult character in a very simple way. It takes some imagination to role play his powers but we think he works.
Stop teasing & drop them already!

EDIT:
Ninja'd, although it was a truck sized gap. Should've refreshed.

Nice simple design with a great Special Power. I like it.
Whoa... I was beginning to think that maybe you and I were really the same person (maybe Matt Helm is the secret identity of A3n) because we never seem to be in the same place at the same time. Well now I guess that theory is shot down.
Old August 9th, 2021, 08:11 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

That's an excellent take on Nova. You've taught Lil'Helm well.
Old August 9th, 2021, 08:43 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice Nova. Really cool SA on Beast Boy.

Last edited by Tornado; August 9th, 2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old August 9th, 2021, 07:15 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Hmm, I look at Beast Boy & I don't get the immediate feel of a changeling. But then I keep thinking of different things that you could do & I think well that can be covered in the base stats, or that one of the powers are close enough or that with these powers would you really need this. And I come back to this design is such a unique way to represent him in a streamlined cut down way which is of course what the Helmaverse is all about. So while it doesn't have the straight up obvious Beast Boy feel it does actually capture the essence of his abilities. Nice one Helm family .
Old August 9th, 2021, 09:09 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Hmm, I look at Beast Boy & I don't get the immediate feel of a changeling. But then I keep thinking of different things that you could do & I think well that can be covered in the base stats, or that one of the powers are close enough or that with these powers would you really need this. And I come back to this design is such a unique way to represent him in a streamlined cut down way which is of course what the Helmaverse is all about. So while it doesn't have the straight up obvious Beast Boy feel it does actually capture the essence of his abilities. Nice one Helm family .
Please tell me that you are being honest about your conclusions. We felt bad taking on Beast Boy knowing that he was on your list. Then my kids asked me why I never really wanted to design such an important character to which I answered that his multiple shapeshifting abilities can get complicated without much return. In my head, he would probably be either too powerful or too fiddly.

Then they got me thinking about the essence of the HelmAverse and how much I rave about Hasbro Iron Man and his simplicity. Before you know it, the challenge was on. I said, well, if you're going to give beast boy three powers, then they each have to represent a different beast and they each have to be used independent of each other. Can we do that without calling out a mechanism where the player actually chooses what form he is in?

Originally we had a changeling power that boosts his defense from range. In play testing however, we found it way better to separate out the disengage from the flying. Flying is his eagle form while disengage can be a snake or an agile cheetah/panther. Meanwhile, Apex Predator SA is his T-Rex, Gorilla, Bear, Lion, etc. form (whichever the player envisions in their head).

That reminds me, I think we need to restrict the Special Attack on turns he uses the Changeling Movement as well as Flying. He shouldn't be able to change shapes mid turn otherwise we might as well get back to accepting Stealth Flying on the card and believe me, that plays boring and nothing like Beast Boy.

Edits completed to his Special Attack.

Last edited by Matt Helm; August 10th, 2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old August 26th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Captain Underpants

About two weeks ago we had a 4 way send off match for Helm Jr. (before he left for college). The teams were as follows:

Matt Helm:
Savage dragon
Hellboy
Taskmaster
TNMT

Helm Jr:
Deadpool
Deathstroke
Bullseye
Batman
Black Panther

Lil'Helm:
Martian Manhunter
Doctor Strange
Werewolf by Night
Flash

JStrikes:
Captain Marvel
Thanos
Green Lantern

The map was an interior structure with a second level ring around the edges. The rules of the map were that the second level passages were not accessible by flying, leaping, or even sight unless you passed through a ladder space. It was as if they were different floors in the same building.

The battle was crazy with each player seemingly losing healthy figures due to crazy dice rolls on single turns. JStrikes went out first but the battle between the other three was down to the wire. Doctor strange went down last for Lil'Helm leaving a single turtle and an injured Hellboy facing an injured Deathstroke. Deathstroke won initiative and using his Special attack, defeated the engaged turtle and the unengaged Hellboy.

Helm Jr. finally won a match for the first time in maybe 2 years. He was thrilled to come up victorious in his final battle before he returns for the HelmAverse Thanksgiving Cup.

Since then we have dropped him off at Binghamton University, shed some tears, and full expect that he will... kick a$$. Speaking of which....

Last edited by Matt Helm; August 26th, 2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old August 26th, 2021, 05:51 PM
Captain Underpants

ICON

KICK-ASS

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
CRIME FIGHTER
EAGER
MEDIUM 5

LIFE: 4
MOVE: 5
RANGE: 1
ATTACK: 3
DEFENSE: 2

DOUBLE BATON ATTACK
If Kick-Ass inflicts a wound with his normal attack, he may attack one additional time.

INSPIRING EFFORT
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and taking a turn with Kick-Ass, if Kick-Ass did not inflict any wounds this turn, you may take a turn with any other Unique Hero you control that has clear sight of Kick-Ass. Inspiring Effort may be used once per round.

PAIN IMMUNITY
When rolling defense dice against any attack, Kick-Ass always adds one automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

----------------------------
EDIT: Based on SD's and A3n’s suggestions, added the "Tough" like defensive power but lowered his normal defense to keep him in that grounded point level. Also shortened the Double Baton wording per A3n's suggestion.

Last edited by Matt Helm; August 27th, 2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old August 26th, 2021, 06:45 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Whoa, Binghamton is quite a trek for Helm Jr. Could've been worse though, he could be going to SUNY Buffalo.

I like what you've got so far for Kick-Ass. I only know him from the movies though; wasn't his schtick that he was really tough to hurt because he had metal plates in his body? I could see Tough applying to him unless you want to limit him to two powers, in which case maybe beefier Life/Defense?
Old August 26th, 2021, 07:56 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Grats to Helm Jr.
Love Inspiring Effort, that really balances off Double Baton. Very win, win.
Old August 26th, 2021, 08:03 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

DOUBLE BATON ATTACK: is the "during his first attack of the turn" required? That doesn't feel in line with other HS powers like DOUBLE ATTACK.

shouldn't it just be:
If Kick-Ass inflicts a wound with his normal attack, he may attack one additional time.

Love the Inspiring Effort power.

I also agree with @Sherman Davies , he should have tough or some other defensive ability that demonstrates that he can take a beating. Because that really is his super power.

BTW: I realise I am behind here, watch for updates this weekend. I should have some time to catch up. Fingers crossed.
Old August 26th, 2021, 08:27 PM
Captain Underpants

Actually, his one super power is that he doesn’t feel the pain. He still gets beaten quite easily by thugs and would have no chance against real supers. In fact, wasn’t it suggested that he change his name to “ass-kicked”? His real attribute is that he inspired others by facing up to evil despite not having any real powers.

When it came to the card design, we wanted a low cost hero who could round out some armies that fall short from a round number. Kick-Ass seemed like the perfect candidate to be that guy.

We originally had his life higher but his point worth was way higher than we wanted. I do like the idea of adding Tough for extra flavor but I really don’t think he should play like a long survivor. He should be a run up front, take a quick beating, and then bow out kind of guy.

I could certainly add tough as the third power and lower his defense to “2”. This would increase his points but not by too many. Let me confer with Lil’Helm.

As for the wording on Double Baton Attack, I was hoping you’d say that. We have it written that way on our play testing paper. When I typed it up here, I thought maybe it wasn’t clear and some would think he could attack multiple times if he keeps wounding figures. I’m good changing it to the short version if it fits Scape English rules.

And no worries on the delays. I’m known for getting lost for a while. We have lives, this is just escapism.

P.S. My brother has two boys in Buffalo. Hem Jr turned it down being how far and cold it was. Binghamton is perfect for him. Besides, legend has it that 30 years ago, the Matt Helm stalked those streets himself.
Old August 26th, 2021, 08:41 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Mrs. Bats is technically still enrolled in Binghamton University. One of these years she might complete that dissertation ....

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations