Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old October 3rd, 2019, 02:46 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: TV: What Are You Watching?

I haven't watched Network in forever because it's largely culturally irrelevant, but Two and a Half Men and Two Broke Girls weren't so long ago and those both had pretty terrible people in them.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:07 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Never seen 2 broke girls, but I watched 2 1/2 men and I don't think that show ever did anything too controversial. Mostly sex and relationship jokes/gags. Just being a terrible person isn't offensive. Don't really want to get into the fine details of what is offensive to people on a message board as someone is bound to be offended by the discussion. If you watch Seinfeld again I don't think it would be hard to spot through today's lens.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:17 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

My wife and I used to watch Elementary, which was modern day Sherlock Holmes and Watson as police consultants. Though last season was the final season after many on network tv.

We watch The Resident and New Amsterdam, which are both hospital shows on network tv. They are not necessarily realistic, especially since I work at a hospital and know a bit how things go. But they do bring up some real world issues of drug costs and how people ration certain drugs because of the costs, insulin for example. Or how big business some hospitals are and the decisions they make.

The last comedy type show on network tv was Big Bang Theory, but we stopped watching well before the last season.

Mostly, we watch a lot of nature shows on National Geographic, BBC America, PBS and other networks. Then a lot of football and hockey during those seasons.

My daughters and I have watched the Marvel series on Netflix, though they didn't watch a couple of them. But we have been watching The 100 and love that.

I watch Mindhunter and some other shows on Netflix myself, as the others in the family aren't interested.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 3rd, 2019, 08:36 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The new season of network TV is starting, and I seem to watch less of it every year. I've seen The Connors, and will see The Rookie on Sunday. And I may check out some of the superhero shows on the CW when they start up again. Other than that, its mostly The PBS Newshour these days.
Old October 4th, 2019, 12:05 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I've been watching Prodigal Son and Stumptown out of the new shows. Only 2 episodes in but I think I'll stick with them for a while.
Old October 4th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I've been watching Prodigal Son and Stumptown out of the new shows. Only 2 episodes in but I think I'll stick with them for a while.
We watched the first episode of Stumptown. Haven't seen the second one yet, but we will give this one a go

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 8th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
@Dadscaper did you see that Netflix has, quite to my surprise, put out a second season to “End of the F***ing World”? I remember discussing the first season with you. I haven’t seen the second one yet. Hoping it doesn’t undermine the haunting effectiveness of the first.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Last edited by IAmBatman; November 8th, 2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old November 8th, 2019, 08:55 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
@Dadscaper did you see that Netflix has, quite to my surprise, put out a second season to “End of the F***ing World”? I remember discussing the first season with you. I haven’t seen the second one yet. Hoping it doesn’t undermine the haunting effectiveness of the first.
I just saw they did that. Pretty weird. If you didn't know season 1 was based off of a comic of the same name. I actually preferred the comic's story, since the boy (don't remember names) was quite a bit more apathetic in it. Made for more of an interesting story in my opinion. Also the pedophile in the show was an evil cultist guy in the comic, which caused some bigger problems through the rest of it.

But anyway, even the comic ended like season 1. Pretty definitive, and no room to expand. So I'm definitely curious and will probably watch it.
Old November 8th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I loved the first season. I watched a trailer for the second season, and it looked fair to the first. I'll get around to it.

Right now I'm watching The Expanse. Just finished Season 1 last night.

I enjoyed the book, but it had certain obvious shortcomings as a work of fiction. I loved the world-building, but the characters who populated the world, particularly but not only the women, were all pretty shallow.

I *love* what they did with the universe in the show. The characters, especially the minor ones, are all *much* more developed. The show takes the excellent world building from the book and makes the story on top of it much more interesting and compelling.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 8th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I loved the first season. I watched a trailer for the second season, and it looked fair to the first. I'll get around to it.

Right now I'm watching The Expanse. Just finished Season 1 last night.

I enjoyed the book, but it had certain obvious shortcomings as a work of fiction. I loved the world-building, but the characters who populated the world, particularly but not only the women, were all pretty shallow.

I *love* what they did with the universe in the show. The characters, especially the minor ones, are all *much* more developed. The show takes the excellent world building from the book and makes the story on top of it much more interesting and compelling.
How much of the series have you read? They introduce characters earlier in the series than they did in the books. I think it was an understandable choice. The first book is fairly narrow in what you see. You are basically either following what happens to Miller, or Holden.
Old November 8th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I only read the first book. I don't intend to read any more of the series, because the one-dimensional characters - not just the minor characters, but the major ones too - are too distracting in the book. Amos in the book is supposed to be some kind of thug, but he's so shallowly drawn that he's basically a teddy bear with guns. In the show, Amos is borderline terrifying. I love him! And the women in the book were almost all defined by how men related to them, which is typical but very old-fashioned in genre fiction. In the show, though, Naomi and Julie (to pick just two) are much more than how the men in their lives are attached to them. And Fred Johnson in the book is soooo boring, right down to his name, but in the show he feels real and the stories about him seem right. Love him too.

Loved the world-building; disliked the storytelling. The show does it up right.

Do the books get better with this? Or do you not agree that the books have that quality?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 8th, 2019, 11:40 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I might not be the best to talk to about how the book handled things. I read the series after seeing season 1, so my first read was informed by my experience with the show. The first season of the show borrows heavily from later books even though it really only covers the first 2/3 or so of the first book. That said, the characters might be a little flat in the first book. It could be that they were going from one death/end of the world scenario to another, and didn't really have a lot of time to breathe. Further into the series you really start to see that the characters are a lot more than what you see on the surface. The show does a great job of suggesting they have secrets ( and there is a reason they don't share a lot about their backstory) with the MCRN interrogation in something like episode 3. It might not be done as well as it could be in book 1, but the characters get more colorful and the show is drawing on a lot more than just book 1.

I think Avasarala is better in the books. They really held back on her dialog when it was on SyFy, less so on Amazon Prime, but she was still a lot tamer than in the books. Amos is my favorite character, but like all of the characters, you only get his story piece by piece. His arc gets really interesting in the most recent book. I can't wait for book 9 to see how it all ends.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV