Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old July 20th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Mystyc has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
And really silly, considering 6 height doesn't actually limit their ability to climb in any way unless you give them a glyph or road bonus.
Wait, really? I thought that being 6 high meant you could only scale elevations of 5 or less -- that is, you have to be adjacent to a hex in order to climb onto it.

Some scattered customs: Corona, Deathwalker 10000
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:49 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
And really silly, considering 6 height doesn't actually limit their ability to climb in any way unless you give them a glyph or road bonus.
Wait, really? I thought that being 6 high meant you could only scale elevations of 5 or less -- that is, you have to be adjacent to a hex in order to climb onto it.
You're right, I was thinking of the 1st edition rules. It does in fact reduce their maximum climb by exactly one. Whoopie!

My original thought was the maximum they could climb was 6 either way. 6 height, plus the 1 move to the first hex, plus 1 move to get to the second hex required to move the trailing base up on a double hex figure. That was 8 move exactly to climb 6. You're right however, they can only climb 5 with the second edition rules.
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM

rehlers is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik
I can't help but fear these guys are going to be Einar Imperium all over again. Seeming potential, but not enough staying power for their points. Maybe we should start a UU scape.
I'll cast a vote in this direction as well. 120 points is way too expensive for 3 defense. The deathstalkers at 100 points a much better unit (7 move, 3 atk, 5 defense). And the Maul special would probably be more useful than the charging assault. These knights would need another couple of points in defense to even make them close to being worth 120.
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:46 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehlers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik
I can't help but fear these guys are going to be Einar Imperium all over again. Seeming potential, but not enough staying power for their points. Maybe we should start a UU scape.
I'll cast a vote in this direction as well. 120 points is way too expensive for 3 defense. The deathstalkers at 100 points a much better unit (7 move, 3 atk, 5 defense). And the Maul special would probably be more useful than the charging assault. These knights would need another couple of points in defense to even make them close to being worth 120.
I played in a game last night where one of my opponents had the Templar and another one had Marden hounds.....the Marden Hounds tore the Templar up. They never even got to attack. I put them in the same category as Einar Emperium....a little overpriced, but fun to play.
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Mystyc has disabled reputation
You can get that extra defense die if you're on higher ground, and I feel like, with 8 move, that should be workable.

I'm looking at these guys more as shock troops meant to take down one target quickly. 3 attacks of 5-7 dice each has a lot of push -- it should certainly defeat Kaemon Awa or most other 120-point heroes.

One other note: these guys are always 4/4 against roborats, and they have the move to beat the rats to glyph destinations. (Not that you would want a Templar just to hold one at their price, but they can stop your opponent from having several turns of glyph control, and will clear the buggers off with minimal order markers.)

Some scattered customs: Corona, Deathwalker 10000
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystyc
I'm looking at these guys more as shock troops meant to take down one target quickly. 3 attacks of 5-7 dice each has a lot of push -- it should certainly defeat Kaemon Awa or most other 120-point heroes.
Or more - especially Utgar's. Last night, played twice, Cyprien died quick both times, to a single squad of Templars. First game they bum-rushed him. Second game they didn't hit him until the 2nd wave, but it had the same effect. Both times it was 6, 6, and 7 attack dice (one was able to get height) vs. his 4 dice and 6 life, and both times he was killed. A quick calc of the averages suggests that 5 hits would be the median, 4 or 6 (what we got both times) would also be common results.

Shock troops, yes.

And as Fallen Templar pointed out, I think it's better to have them stay back a bit, get your cheaper guys up first (esp. if they're Knights of Weston), then when you slam them with the Cavalry, your Templars aren't stranded.

Some thoughts:

Tactic 1: Keep them (slightly) separated. If two Templars kill their targets and aren't engaged to anyone else, then on their immediately following turn (you did give them two markers didn't you?) look to see if they can "exchange flanks" (right goes over to left and left to right) and thereby each get the charge bonus again.

Tactic 2: Two steps backward, three steps up. With Gilbert, you can use the extra movement to move Templars BACK a couple spaces from the front. Again, if it's enough to give them their charge. This takes two markers though (Knights/Gilbert and Templars) so won't always work out, it's just something to keep in mind.

Tactic 3: Sidle-in-the-saddle. Annoying unit (A) engaging Templar (TT) but there's better target (B). If hexes 1,2,3 are open you can sidle around and charge B without disengaging from A! See:

TT
A1
B

B was 4 spaces away (1-2-3-B). Templar ends in spaces 2 and 3.

Tactic 4: Smash-and-run fun. Like all shock troops, good for order marker 3. Then have a 50/50 chance at two turns in a row.

Tactic 5: The Quick and the Dead. Looks like the Templars are the unit with the highest attack/speed combo (?). 8 move and 15-18 attack dice. So, use it! If the terrain permits. All markers on Templars, flank the opponent, attack isolated figures, attack figures with 0-1 order markers, etc.

Tactic 6: Are You Threatening Me? See #5. If you can threaten this kind of chaos, your opponents plans will go up in smoke (well, unless his plan was already to close ranks and move slowly ).
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:13 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'm relieved that these aren't an aggressively priced squad-- that their defense is average and that they depend on support units, screens of skirmishers, and conditional boosts. With immunity to a variety of harm thanks to large size, and with Gilbert, Finn, Thorgrim, Raelin, Concan, and Captain America in the lineup, and with valiant army defense bonus compatibility, we'll grow into them. Wouldn't want to see the game degenerate into a total knight-fest where the ancient armies tear apart the gunmen.
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:11 AM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Instead of using the Knights, what about Concan - his flight makes him more manueverable, and his 5 life makes sure he'll stay around for the Templar to give the baddies a good ol' whallop.

Concan
Templar
3x 4th Mass
Finn

Templar x2
Concan
4th Mass x4

Old July 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM

Su_Nan Woo who?
I used three squads of templar's yesterday and found that two squads is really all you need. The best way to use them is to let infantry come to your starting zone or wherever you have two squads of Templar's positioned. Make sure to keep them close.

When the enemies troops close in use the first squad to rush in hopefully four spaces to get the galloping charge. Then use the other squad positioned nearby to attack also with their galloping charge. If whatever you attacked is still standing after that then you have six templars to deal with.

If its range I don't see how any range squad's defense is going to hold up to 5 attack. If its infantry then you got the defensive advantage.

Insanity is the best medicine.
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:16 PM

champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker
These guys don't work too well against Charos. My little sister attacked my other sister with these guys and two of them died right away due to his counter strike.

Long live Heroscape.
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM

War Solves Everything has disabled reputation
With two squads of these guys, I redid the final Lord of the Rings battle. My brother had a 1000 point orc army and I was defending with a 760 point army of Romens with reinforcements of these guys. I was doing okay at first, but then Krug broke down my door and started swatting away at my Romens. Soon round 6 comes and my Templers come in. They charge up to my brothers army and bombart his arrow, blade and heavy grunts. With much bonding, I take out his heroes and chase the remaining figures around the board. These guys are a great squad and have reasonable defense. Whats wrong with 3 sometimes 4?

I feel sorry for you. Your not me.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
With the templar's cavalry charge it says that the figure needs to be at least 4 clear sight spaces away at the begining of the turn. Does that mean that if the templar couldn't see the figure at the start of the turn but now can ('cause he's engaged...) that he doesn't get the cavalry charge bonus? The reason I'm wondering if this is different than the regular clear sight spaces rulings is because for all of the other figures that say something about clear sight spaces they're at the same place they were from the begining to the end of the power's text. Not so with the templar who change movement during the activation of the power...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units