Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Old February 11th, 2019, 10:13 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Out-there Heaven (Movie, TV, and Video Game Characters)

I'm so hype, you have no idea. These were my favorite toys growing up, and I honestly thought about doing some write-ups either for here or my own custom thread, but I didn't think there was anyone else who was interested.

My first thought is about making them Cyborgs. Part of me almost wants to go with just Bionicle for the species. I don't know/remember if they're especially affected by a lot of things Cyborgs are in the game, like electricity or hackers. Then again, they don't really refer to themselves as Bionicle in-story so that may not fit either.

I still like the idea of the masks being E-Glyphs that they can collect, to mirror the collect-a-thon nature of the original story and the "gameplay" of the toys, but I can also get the value of integrating them into the cards so they can have more specific functions. Plus, I have no idea if a human could put on a Bionicle mask and use the powers just like a Bionicle could.

Really digging Tahu's Leadership powers, feels perfect.

When does the Ice Marker return to Kopaka's card? It says every round you can place the marker, but then is that enemy just permanently frozen?

Gali looks perfect too, not much to say I just think she looks cool.

I always imagined Lewa having some sort of Vine Swing like Ka-Zar or Blanka, but I think that wouldn't come off as very useful. I think that's a big tension for me with a few of these designs; keeping the elemental theme for all of them while still keeping them useful in any situation.

I don't know how I feel about Pohatu basically being a Flash. He did use his Superspeed a lot, but I don't remember it being all the time. I'd probably lean the focus more towards kicking stuff and stone play. I think Alex's suggestion could be worked into something really cool.

Onua feels naked to me without some sort of tunneling power. Other than that, I really really dig the Patience power, and Earthquake is a cool re-use.
Old February 12th, 2019, 12:24 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
I'm so hype, you have no idea. These were my favorite toys growing up, and I honestly thought about doing some write-ups either for here or my own custom thread, but I didn't think there was anyone else who was interested.
Oh, I was super into it from like 2002-2007. Had all the Toa Mata and Nuva, and most of the canister sets after that. Still do in an attic somewhere, I guess. Wish I still had all my Bionicle comics, but those are lost to me.

I think I stopped collecting after the Barraki but before whatever the other 2007 canister sets were (water toa, I think?), but I still had some affection for the weird increasingly-convoluted lore and kinda followed along with it.

Quote:
My first thought is about making them Cyborgs. Part of me almost wants to go with just Bionicle for the species. I don't know/remember if they're especially affected by a lot of things Cyborgs are in the game, like electricity or hackers. Then again, they don't really refer to themselves as Bionicle in-story so that may not fit either.
Yeah, it's unclear how they'd interact with hacking and stuff since they're more mystical than science-y. I think the Cyborg interactions mostly work, at a glance, though. Don't have a problem with Ultron and the other evil robot masterminds taking them over, which is one of the big things in that synergy.

The thing I did really like about Cyborg was that it qualifies them to be healed with the various 'reconstruction/engineering' type powers. Like the idea of mechanically-inclined types putting them back together.

Quote:
I still like the idea of the masks being E-Glyphs that they can collect, to mirror the collect-a-thon nature of the original story and the "gameplay" of the toys, but I can also get the value of integrating them into the cards so they can have more specific functions. Plus, I have no idea if a human could put on a Bionicle mask and use the powers just like a Bionicle could.
That was my first instinct for the direction on the masks as well, but yeah, integrating them into the powerset lets them be a little less generic, and also represented indirectly where it makes sense. I tried to bake Tahu and Kopaka's masks into their leaderhsip stuff, whereas they'd need to start the game with E-Glyphs if we were doing the masks that way.

Plus it's a lot simpler to represent the mask powers this way - Onua just gets SS instead of a power that gives him a glyph that gives him SS.

And then, taking a 'whole universe' perspective, if you got as far as designing later generations of Toa (optimistic when I think the originals are kind of a long shot ), the mask collecting was not as big a deal to them, and I'd rather not have that driving the representation of mask powers on their cards.

(That is kind of a long-winded reply to a point you weren't really arguing, but I had a really long inner debate about this a couple weeks back. )

I'd still probably do E-Glyphs for specific masks that were important McGuffins, if we got that far - Masks of Light/Time/Life.

Quote:
Really digging Tahu's Leadership powers, feels perfect.
I played around with a few different versions of those sorts of 'reckless leader' powers. I really like the current combo, but I do wonder if he should be doing more fire stuff? Maybe Lava Resistant is enough, though.

Quote:
When does the Ice Marker return to Kopaka's card? It says every round you can place the marker, but then is that enemy just permanently frozen?
I guess the answer is that they're frozen until we fix the power.

Completely overlooked that somehow. I think 'at the end of the round or after they take a turn' would be a reasonable condition for un-freezing? I dunno, power might be getting a little complex at that point.

Mainly I wanted to do a riff on Iceman's Deep Freeze, but with freezing represented by lockdown instead of OM removal, as a way for him to give Tahu a hand. (Since controlling Tahu's engagement and covering his back while he's engaged is important). And then once I was already deviating from Deep Freeze I was thinking 'hey, why not tie into Gali?', hence the water thing.

Probably something has to give there to keep the power streamlined, though.

(Kopaka was my favorite and the hardest to not overstuff)

Quote:
Gali looks perfect too, not much to say I just think she looks cool.
Glad you dig her - really wasn't sure how to represent her powers at first, because there's a lot you can do there, so I went for the grab-bag approach.

Quote:
I always imagined Lewa having some sort of Vine Swing like Ka-Zar or Blanka, but I think that wouldn't come off as very useful. I think that's a big tension for me with a few of these designs; keeping the elemental theme for all of them while still keeping them useful in any situation.
I could definitely see trimming one of the wind powers for a jungle thing.

His limiting flying felt like a way to give him a little tie to Onua and Gali (forcing people to the ground to get earthquaked or have to slog through water), but I don't love it from a character perspective - feels like a mechanically relevant use of wind, but not a super Lewa use of wind. I think he's a write-up that could definitely use some major tweaks.

Quote:
I don't know how I feel about Pohatu basically being a Flash. He did use his Superspeed a lot, but I don't remember it being all the time. I'd probably lean the focus more towards kicking stuff and stone play. I think Alex's suggestion could be worked into something really cool.
Yeah, I could see dropping full-on Superspeed and doing a more limited version. He was definitely a 'sprinting across desert' kinda guy, so maybe do a riff where he moves super-fast through open space? Like how Catgirl gets bonus move for not doing elevation.

I like Alex's suggestion as well, but I'd probably split it into a 'create stone DOs' power and a 'big kick SA that can launch things'. Write-up something like this:

Quote:
Onua feels naked to me without some sort of tunneling power. Other than that, I really really dig the Patience power, and Earthquake is a cool re-use.
Now that you say it, yeah, tunneling feels really obviously missing. I'd drop the OM save power and swap in tunneling (in some form) in a heartbeat.
Old February 12th, 2019, 01:11 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Yeah the first two or so years are still my favorite (especially the Mata Nui Online Game) but I still have a lot of affection for all the crazy story stuff they made up later on.

In general, I'm thinking it's best to avoid terrain-specific abilities when possible (Just so they can feel viable as a faction even when not on preferred terrain) but the image of Lewa swinging on a vine through the trees is just so iconic. For Tahu, lava surfing is obviously the big iconic thing, but I just don't see how that could be functional. I think his control of heat/fire could make for a solid SA/auto-wounder to give him a more fiery feel. Something like the burning heat powers from Surtur or the Fire Elementals could work really well.

For Pohatu, I have a few thoughts. It could be cool if he lost Superspeed but kept the move of 8, or if he kept Superspeed but had a regular move of 5 or so. I like the Catgirl-esque flat movement idea, but I also had an idea when brainstorming Samus of straight line Superspeed movement. So he could move up to 8(?) spaces in a straight line instead of moving normally. It would be good for getting him into battle, but kind of awkward for maneuvering around opponents. or just give him Speed Dodge. Idk they all seem like options that could work.
Old February 12th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
Yeah the first two or so years are still my favorite (especially the Mata Nui Online Game) but I still have a lot of affection for all the crazy story stuff they made up later on.

In general, I'm thinking it's best to avoid terrain-specific abilities when possible (Just so they can feel viable as a faction even when not on preferred terrain) but the image of Lewa swinging on a vine through the trees is just so iconic.
That was my approach as well - I did put stock 'terrain' powers on Tahu, Kopaka and Gali, but those are kinda short, keywordy ones.

Going too heavy into the terrain stuff could also result in them being hard to play together. Like, if Tahu needs a lot of lava to be viable and Pohatu needs a ton of rock spaces and Kopaka wants ice everywhere... the number of maps where you really want a bunch of em is gonna shrink.

I think you're right that Lewa needs vines, though.

Semi-related thought I had - since you essentially have two versions of each character baked into the lore (Mata and Nuva versions), you could maybe get away with doing the Mata as more individual versions that are very terrain heavy, and then save the 'big team' stuff for the Nuva. I don't know that I'd love the Mata versions being too limited in their ability to team up, though.

(Also I like the Mata forms better for basically all of them but Lewa - Nuva masks were over-designed)

EDIT: I suppose you could also do that in the opposite direction and do the Mata as slightly cheaper team-focused versions and the Nuva as more map-dependent beefier more stand-alone figures.

Quote:
For Tahu, lava surfing is obviously the big iconic thing, but I just don't see how that could be functional. I think his control of heat/fire could make for a solid SA/auto-wounder to give him a more fiery feel. Something like the burning heat powers from Surtur or the Fire Elementals could work really well.
I could see a toned-down Intense Heat working for him. Not sure I'd spring for it when he's at three powers, but you could maybe get away with it if it was short enough. Most of the rest of what he's doing isn't very complex.

Quote:
For Pohatu, I have a few thoughts. It could be cool if he lost Superspeed but kept the move of 8, or if he kept Superspeed but had a regular move of 5 or so. I like the Catgirl-esque flat movement idea, but I also had an idea when brainstorming Samus of straight line Superspeed movement. So he could move up to 8(?) spaces in a straight line instead of moving normally. It would be good for getting him into battle, but kind of awkward for maneuvering around opponents. or just give him Speed Dodge. Idk they all seem like options that could work.
I could get behind either the 'glacial speedster' or incredibly 'fast non-speedster' approach. Could be cool to just give him a really high move number (8-9) and leave room on the card for more of a personality power (not immediately sure what that looks like though).

Last edited by Ronin; February 12th, 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old February 12th, 2019, 04:41 PM
Doesn't Drink the Kool-Aid (Eats the Catsup)

ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby!

NAME = CAESAR ZEPPELI

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = WARRIOR
PERSONALITY = BRASH?

SIZE/HEIGHT = 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 4

HAMON USER

Undead, Lycanthrope and Pillar Men figures roll 2 fewer defense dice against Caesar Zeppeli's attacks. At the end of each round, roll the 20-sided die. On a 15 or more, remove one wound marker from this card.

HAMON BUBBLE CUTTER SPECIAL ATTACK

Range 5 Attack 3
Figures defending against Hamon Bubble Cutter Special Attack roll two fewer defence dice. After using Hamon Bubble Cutter Special Attack, you may use Hamon Bubble Cutter Special Attack up to two additional times.

TRAINING PARTNERS
After taking a turn with Caesar Zeppeli, you may take an additional turn with a JoJo you control with the secret identity Joseph Joestar, and you may not take any further additional turns with other figures.

“THIS IS THE LAST OF MY HAMON!”

When Caesar Zeppeli is destroyed, place his figure on an Army Card you control with the Hamon User special power. Before attacking with a figure you control, you may remove Caesar Zeppeli from that figure's Army Card. If you do, for the rest of the turn, that figure adds 1 die to its normal attack or, if that figure is Joseph Joestar, it adds an automatic skull instead.

What's up with claymation?

Last edited by ALEXAN2507; February 13th, 2019 at 03:26 AM.
Old February 12th, 2019, 05:45 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

Would it be possible to get a small notation as to which show, game, etc. these designs come from? Some of them look really cool, but I have no idea where the source material comes from.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old February 12th, 2019, 05:47 PM

ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
Would it be possible to get a small notation as to which show, game, etc. these designs come from? Some of them look really cool, but I have no idea where the source material comes from.

Everything I've been posting lately is from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
(also I list them by franchise under my Public Design post)

Old February 13th, 2019, 12:32 AM
Symbiotic

Zeppeli's SA looks like it has more clauses than it strictly needs to me - I'd probably cut the Deadly Strike bit and up the attack to 3.

You can just shout out 'Joseph Joestar' to synergize with him, unless you're worried about like... multiple versions of Joseph and Zeppeli should only be able to work with the one named JoJo. Totally legit to call out a figure by secret identity, though - Catwoman II has that sort of bonding.

I'd make his Hamon Viking Spirit automatic. Wording like so:

Quote:
When Caesar Zeppeli is destroyed, place his figure on an Army Card you control with the Hamon User special power. Before attacking with a figure you control, you may remove Caesar Zeppeli from that figure's Army Card. If you do, for the rest of the turn, that figure adds 1 die to its normal attack or, if that figure is Joseph Joestar, it adds an automatic skull instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
Yeah, all of Alex's even semi-recent stuff has been from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (manga/anime).

The ones I posted a little ways back were from an old ('old' in quotes, but, y'know, they're not coming out anymore) Lego product line called Bionicle.

If you're looking at older stuff listed in the OP, though, I can see how that might be tricky to sort out. Might be helpful if the OP lumped things together by franchise to help sort things out?

(Hate to give MrNobody more to do when he's already busy killing it in the public nominations thread, though!)
Old February 13th, 2019, 03:23 AM

[quote=Ronin;2254421]Zeppeli's SA looks like it has more clauses than it strictly needs to me - I'd probably cut the Deadly Strike bit and up the attack to 3.

You can just shout out 'Joseph Joestar' to synergize with him, unless you're worried about like... multiple versions of Joseph and Zeppeli should only be able to work with the one named JoJo. Totally legit to call out a figure by secret identity, though - Catwoman II has that sort of bonding.

I'd make his Hamon Viking Spirit automatic. Wording like so:

Quote:
There is a Part 3 version of Joseph Joestar where he becomes one of the protag group rather than being /the/ JoJo of that part where it wouldn't necessarily make sense for Caesar to receive bonding on account of Caesar being dead by that point in the series so yah

Old February 13th, 2019, 03:28 AM

NAME = ESIDISI

SPECIES = PILLAR MAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = ???
PERSONALITY = TRICKY

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 7

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 6

FLAME MODE

Start the game with a red Boiling Blood Marker. Once per round, at the start of your turn, you may place the Boiling Blood Marker on this card.

500 DEGREES
At the start of each turn, if the Boiling Blood Marker is on this card, you must roll one combat die for each figure adjacent to Esidisi, one at a time, or two dice for a common figure. If at least 1 skull is rolled, the figure receives 1 wound. Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by 500 Degrees.

ERRATIC BLAZE KING MODE

Before attacking with Esidisi, you may remove the Boiling Blood Marker from this card. If you do, until the end of this turn, increase Esidisi’s Range by 3, Esidisi may attack two additional times this turn, and any figure who receives wound markers from an attack by Esidisi receives one automatic wound.

MALLEABLE BODY

When rolling defence dice, Esidisi may re-roll up to 2 dice.

SUPER STRENGTH

Old February 13th, 2019, 03:33 AM

Bonus: Pillar Men theme because it's just that amazing that I have to share it

So for some context on this guy, Esidisi is one of the Pillar Men, who are an ancient race that in-universe are responsible for the creation of vampires. They are muuuuuuuch stronger than vampires, but retain a weakness to Hamon (hence the call out for them for Hamon users).

As a run down on powers, Esidisi's blood is extremely hot (kinda similar to Adam X-Treme, actually) and he is able to channel it out of his veins, which he can extend and retract at will. "Erratic Blaze King Mode" is essentially Esidisi unleasing many, many veins at once.

Those are Esidisi's unique abilities. Malleable Body is something all the Pillar Men have, and is basically their ability to just contort and morph their body at will, which several times in the series results in a character trying to hit them only for them to like, impossibly bend their spine and therefore completely missing.

Old February 13th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Symbiotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAN2507 View Post
There is a Part 3 version of Joseph Joestar where he becomes one of the protag group rather than being /the/ JoJo of that part where it wouldn't necessarily make sense for Caesar to receive bonding on account of Caesar being dead by that point in the series so yah
I wouldn't sweat that kind of thing at all. If you take a gander at the Vigilante synergy web, for instance, you can pretty easily put some funky bonding pairs together. None of the Robins demand they key into the specific Bat-folks they actually work with, and you get weirdos like Punisher and Venom in that synergy.

Even Catwoman II will get some weird bonding partners if we dig into Elseworlds stuff.

I'd just have him shout out Joseph Joestar, if the version you're trying to cut out is just 'a version he would likely team up with if he had the chance, but didn't'. Not worth the extra text to shut that down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAN2507 View Post

NAME = ESIDISI

SPECIES = PILLAR MAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = ???
PERSONALITY = TRICKY

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 7

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 6

FLAME MODE

Start the game with a red Boiling Blood Marker. Once per round, at the start of your turn, you may place the Boiling Blood Marker on this card.

500 DEGREES
At the start of each turn, if the Boiling Blood Marker is on this card, you must roll one combat die for each figure adjacent to Esidisi, one at a time, or two dice for a common figure. If at least 1 skull is rolled, the figure receives 1 wound. Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by 500 Degrees.

ERRATIC BLAZE KING MODE

Before attacking with Esidisi, you may remove the Boiling Blood Marker from this card. If you do, until the end of this turn, increase Esidisi’s Range by 3, Esidisi may attack two additional times this turn, and any figure who receives wound markers from an attack by Esidisi receives one automatic wound.

MALLEABLE BODY

When rolling defence dice, Esidisi may re-roll up to 2 dice.

SUPER STRENGTH
Gonna be pushing 400 points with that powerset. Is that what you're shooting for?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy