Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old February 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Books: Sword of Truth series

It's out in Mass Market Paperback nyys, have you checked like a Borders or Barnes and Nobles?

DWARVES!
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
It's out in Mass Market Paperback nyys, have you checked like a Borders or Barnes and Nobles?
Funny you say that, I went to Amazon right after making that post and it lists the $10 version as the mass market. Argh, where is my $7.99 version that I can take a 25% off coupon with to Borders?

-insert signature here-
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

Still haven't read the last one. I agree, after 4 or 5 I kind of lost interest. It picked back up again in book 8, but not much. I still enjoyed the books more than Robert Jordan (when I realized nothing had happened for a book and a half I had to put Jordan down).

For those interested, the TV series is pretty terrible, which is a shame since it showed so much promise. They have almost completely abandoned the storyline. Don't get me wrong. The sets, the costumes and the cinematogrpahy are all fantastic for a TV show. But the writing is really bad. Not just the dialogue - the plots, too.

And I heartily agree that George R. R. Martin is probably the best fantasy writer out there right now. I also recommend Patrick Rothfuss...

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:08 AM

Guerillinator has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz1597 View Post
I heartily agree that George R. R. Martin is probably the best fantasy writer out there right now. I also recommend Patrick Rothfuss...
Anyone who like Martin has good taste. What type of fantasy is Rothfus? Is it classic fantasy like Eddings, Martin, or Terry Brooks (although even these authors stories are widely divergent in terms of style and talent) or is there some twist to it? No give-aways, I just want to know the basic setting of the story. I'm always looking for different authors to read (fantasy wise, I've read Tolkien, Jordan, Goodkind, Brooks, Eddings, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony, J.K. Rowling, and Stephen King (Gunslinger series). I prefer classic fantasy, but not if too predictable or poorly written.

Also, I haven't given up on the Sword of Truth TV series, although some of the episodes are terrible. And the producers really aren't following the book very closely (nothing like stretching the story out to make a little extra money---I mean really, the whole Mord Sith storyline was done in a single episode but yet there are multiple episodes not even from the book-what a let down). Anyway, next week or the week after will be the season finale, so for anyone who turned away from the show but wants to see the confrontation between the Richard and Lord Rahl, it might be worth checking out. Just don't blame the messenger if it turns out lame.

One in a million chances tend to come up nine times out of ten.
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

Rothfuss is more what they call "high fantasy". He's getting compared a lot to Tad Williams (who I have yet to read) as well as Martin (which is justified). His style is somewhat unique. I would definitely place his quality of writing up there with Martin (although it is different). Definitely something to keep you going until A Dance With Dragons comes out.

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:32 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

I've read books one through four or maybe five. All I know is that I got to a point were alot of things wrapped up and I stopped reading.
My cousin is on book seven or so and he's enjoyed them.

Last edited by ElvenEnvy; May 17th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Guerillinator has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz1597 View Post
Rothfuss is more what they call "high fantasy". He's getting compared a lot to Tad Williams (who I have yet to read) as well as Martin (which is justified). His style is somewhat unique. I would definitely place his quality of writing up there with Martin (although it is different). Definitely something to keep you going until A Dance With Dragons comes out.
Thanks for the info. I like Tad Williams, too, so Rothfuss sounds like a good choice after I finish the last book of Eddings' Mallorean series.

One in a million chances tend to come up nine times out of ten.
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Jed Starkiller has disabled reputation

The only boook series I've read more than once. Love it.

"Bob, Im not Kirk, Im Skywalker, Luke Skywalker." - Col. Jack O'Neill
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Disinfretinated

mecha frog knows what's in an order marker mecha frog knows what's in an order marker

It's been a long time for me on this one. I tried to read the first novel but just couldn't finish it. That one scene where that one thing happens (the R rating part) turned a bad book into a terrible one. I think I may have actually thrown the book out.

Anyway, just recently finished the Prince of Nothing series by R Scott bakker. Good read.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books