Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old November 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart
Re: Playing Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
I'd like to see Xenu in this game, just to see Tom Cruise LOSE HIS FREAKIN' MIND again.
That and Some Pagan spirits, Odin, and such. But mostly Xenu....
Since Xenu is to Scientologists as Satan is to Christians, I think the "prophet" L. Ron Hubbard would be more fitting. What I wonder is what kind of pose and weapon he should be sculpted with. Maybe he can look like he's about to club you with a sack of money.

Speaking of Satan, he would also make a good addition to the game.
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Read my post after this post (sorry double post).

Last edited by Ugly-Caco; November 16th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Wouldn't it be fun to play Poseidon kicking the **** out of Ra? I'm not too keen on Christian blasphemy, but since all other gods are false, toss the Jesus statue in the garbage and play on with the rest.
I got this from "From the Creator" link:
Quote:
I actually had the idea for Playing Gods way back in 2000 or so. My original plan was to have different gods from different eras battling each other for control over the world, such as Egyptian gods (Set, Bast, Osiris) duking it out with Roman and Norse gods (Thor, Zeus, etc.), Mesoamerican gods, and so on. I made a few sketches and wrote up some rules, then set it aside for a few years while I did other things like write books and investigate lake monsters.
After 2001 it became clearer to me that many of the world's worst conflicts are rooted in religion. Lots of people believe that God is on their side, and as long as God is on your side, any actions you take are justified. Whether it's the Catholic/Protestant violence in Northern Ireland, Israelis and Palestinians killing each other because both believe that God promised them the same chunk of desert, or Born-again Christian George W. Bush claiming he takes advice from Jesus and calling for a "crusade" against Muslims, the religious origins of much murder and mayhem have rarely been so clear. (Of course there are peaceful messages in all these religions as well, but apparently not enough to drown out the violent ones.)
From the webpage: "Mythology is what we call someone else's religion." -Joseph Campbell

Anyways, I wouldn't discuss this game here in scapers. In a Christian perspective, the game's blasphemous. But in a secular and humanistic perspective, the game's concept is brilliant, even though they got Buddha, Mohamad, and Moses mistaken for gods (because it's designed to ridicule). So yeah, I wouldn't discuss it here.

Old November 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco View Post
From the webpage: "Mythology is what we call someone else's religion." -Joseph Campbell

Anyways, I wouldn't discuss this game here in scapers. In a Christian perspective, the game's blasphemous. But in a secular and humanistic perspective, the game's concept is brilliant, even though they got Buddha, Mohamad, and Moses mistaken for gods (because it's designed to ridicule). So yeah, I wouldn't discuss it here.
I wouldn't discuss it here either (it belongs under Board Games, not Miniatures ). I think it's a game worth discussing, so long as we can talk about the actual game. Now that I think back, I have played a three-man game with my mom and a friend of hers. We had fun, but the only problem we had was that there were not enough ways to gain a sect. Then again, it could have all been up to bad shuffling. Undoubtedly, this game runs better the more players you have. I'd like to experience a full five-man someday.
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM

Mindfreak is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Quote:
I'd like to see Xenu in this game, just to see Tom Cruise LOSE HIS FREAKIN' MIND again.
Since Xenu is to Scientologists as Satan is to Christians, I think the "prophet" L. Ron Hubbard would be more fitting. What I wonder is what kind of pose and weapon he should be sculpted with. Maybe he can look like he's about to club you with a sack of money.

True.
For Scientology They could also have Tom Cruise, causee that'd make him even crazier.....
It's fun to think of ways to bug Tom Cruise.....
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True.
For Scientology They could also have Tom Cruise, causee that'd make him even crazier.....
The Scientology sticker provided in the box shows a caricature of Tom Cruise with a flying saucer buzzing around his head. It would be funny, but you wouldn't choose any one pope or priest over Jesus for Christianity, so Hubbard is probably the best way to go.

Ooh, another good one: Cthulu. He's also represented by a sticker for the generic idol, but that figure is kind of boring to play with.
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Mindfreak is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True.
The Scientology sticker provided in the box shows a caricature of Tom Cruise with a flying saucer buzzing around his head. It would be funny, but you wouldn't choose any one pope or priest over Jesus for Christianity, so Hubbard is probably the best way to go.

Ooh, another good one: Cthulu. He's also represented by a sticker for the generic idol, but that figure is kind of boring to play with.
Meh. Cthulu isn't a real God/Prophet/Religous Figure. So there goes the controversy generation part. That would attract all the HP Lovecraftian fans, though.
This game needs one more thing:
THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!!!!!
That'd be Great!
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Meh. Cthulu isn't a real God/Prophet/Religous Figure. So there goes the controversy generation part. That would attract all the HP Lovecraftian fans, though.
This game needs one more thing:
THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!!!!!
That'd be Great!
He's not any less real than any of the other characters mentioned in this thread, and I doubt this game is trying to be controversial. Why can't you just do something that you know will be controversial, but without regard to that possibility? This game has a message: Get along. Fighting is for board games. It is poking fun at religion but it's not poking fun just to make you angry, it's doing it because it wants to and it will please those who don't shut it away at first glance.

Last edited by Blackrock; November 16th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker

From the webpage: "Mythology is what we call someone else's religion." -Joseph Campbell [/quote]

this is probably the single most brilliant statement i've ever heard about religion. Nothing is more true than this.

Plus, how would the devil even work. It would be a contradiction on so many levels, as the devil is created as a christian entity, yet the christian religion doesn't acknowledge any other gods except theirs. So the Devil in christian perspectives, isn't a god at all. Yet he has all the powers of one.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwojedi View Post
this is probably the single most brilliant statement i've ever heard about religion. Nothing is more true than this.

Plus, how would the devil even work. It would be a contradiction on so many levels, as the devil is created as a christian entity, yet the christian religion doesn't acknowledge any other gods except theirs. So the Devil in christian perspectives, isn't a god at all. Yet he has all the powers of one.
I have no idea, but he is a deity, be it a "god" or some other kind. Bringing him into Playing Gods for Satanism (whichever form of it you think would be best to interpret) would be pretty sweet. I can see him in a leather jacket with sunglasses, a knife, and a handgun or TMP.

So true, Campbell's words.
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Sounds like this game might appeal to people who enjoy dark/satirical comedy, like the movie Dogma and things of that ilk. It doesn't interest me, but I can see how there's a niche market for it beyond atheists.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures