Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 13th, 2022, 04:38 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Yeah, take him to the craps table and just bet on his rolls. Then you can win money off his good luck.
Old February 1st, 2022, 05:39 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I just downloaded the Board Game Stats app, so I’m not 100% that I got everything, but I think this is my January plays:

5x
Flesh and Blood

2x
Azul

1x
Abyss
HeroScape
Lords of Waterdeep
PitchCar
Splendor
Thunderstone Quest
Old February 1st, 2022, 08:55 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Flesh and Blood! There's a local game shop where I'm friendly with the owner, and he's doing his best to get me to bite on that one.

How much have you played? How do you like it? He gave me a couple little sample decks but I don't really know what I'm looking at. And haven't spent time online to figure it out.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 2nd, 2022, 12:02 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

January gaming:

Forbidden Desert x 2
Spot It x 3
Citadels
Bang the Dice Game
Colt Express
Batman Love Letter
Kingsburg x 2
Defenders of the Realm
Fairy Tile
Pathfinder ACG x 3
Dungeon Mayhem x 3
Claustrophobia x 2
A Few Acres of Snow
Labyrinth x 2
Yggdrasil
Fairy Tale
Forbidden Island
Lotr LCG x 4
Marvel Champions x 11
Hexplore it
Too Many Bones x 2
Three Little Pigs
Warfighter
GI Joe Deckbuilder x 5
Undaunted x 2
Bug Hunt

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old February 2nd, 2022, 12:36 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
January gaming:

Forbidden Desert x 2
Spot It x 3
Citadels
Bang the Dice Game
Colt Express
Batman Love Letter
Kingsburg x 2
Defenders of the Realm
Fairy Tile
Pathfinder ACG x 3
Dungeon Mayhem x 3
Claustrophobia x 2
A Few Acres of Snow
Labyrinth x 2
Yggdrasil
Fairy Tale
Forbidden Island
Lotr LCG x 4
Marvel Champions x 11
Hexplore it
Too Many Bones x 2
Three Little Pigs
Warfighter
GI Joe Deckbuilder x 5
Undaunted x 2
Bug Hunt
55 games played in a month. That is inspirational. You play table top games like I paint miniatures. Who do you generally get the games in with? Kids? Spouse? Gaming friends? My kid is too busy playing video games to want to play board games, my wife isn’t a gamer, and my gaming buddies only get to come out once to twice a month. Just trying to figure out how to achieve these goals.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 12:57 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
January gaming:

Forbidden Desert x 2
Spot It x 3
Citadels
Bang the Dice Game
Colt Express
Batman Love Letter
Kingsburg x 2
Defenders of the Realm
Fairy Tile
Pathfinder ACG x 3
Dungeon Mayhem x 3
Claustrophobia x 2
A Few Acres of Snow
Labyrinth x 2
Yggdrasil
Fairy Tale
Forbidden Island
Lotr LCG x 4
Marvel Champions x 11
Hexplore it
Too Many Bones x 2
Three Little Pigs
Warfighter
GI Joe Deckbuilder x 5
Undaunted x 2
Bug Hunt
55 games played in a month. That is inspirational. You play table top games like I paint miniatures. Who do you generally get the games in with? Kids? Spouse? Gaming friends? My kid is too busy playing video games to want to play board games, my wife isn’t a gamer, and my gaming buddies only get to come out once to twice a month. Just trying to figure out how to achieve these goals.
All of the above.
My son and oldest daughter play more my style of board game. My other 4 daughters play the various other titles I’m sure you can pick out. My wife will play occasionally. I have a weekly game group I play with and I have another monthly game group I’ve been playing with for about 7 years.

We only let our kids watch television and play devices on Sunday after church until dinner time. That’s it for the week. So playing board game is kind of a thing in our house. I also like to play solo board games to take my mind off work.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:03 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
January gaming:

Forbidden Desert x 2
Spot It x 3
Citadels
Bang the Dice Game
Colt Express
Batman Love Letter
Kingsburg x 2
Defenders of the Realm
Fairy Tile
Pathfinder ACG x 3
Dungeon Mayhem x 3
Claustrophobia x 2
A Few Acres of Snow
Labyrinth x 2
Yggdrasil
Fairy Tale
Forbidden Island
Lotr LCG x 4
Marvel Champions x 11
Hexplore it
Too Many Bones x 2
Three Little Pigs
Warfighter
GI Joe Deckbuilder x 5
Undaunted x 2
Bug Hunt
All of the above.
My son and oldest daughter play more my style of board game. My other 4 daughters play the various other titles I’m sure you can pick out. My wife will play occasionally. I have a weekly game group I play with and I have another monthly game group I’ve been playing with for about 7 years.

We only let our kids watch television and play devices on Sunday after church until dinner time. That’s it for the week. So playing board game is kind of a thing in our house. I also like to play solo board games to take my mind off work.
Awesome. I probably need to cut my kids Minecraft Time back a little bit. That, and maybe try to get more solo/Coop games to the table. Its really cool that you manage to get so many games in though. I aspire to get my minis to the table more.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:06 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Tonight I played Dungeon of Fortune and Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. Last night I played Dungeon of Fortune, Dragon's Gold, Berried Treasure and Dungeon Scrollers Heroes of Undermountain twice.

Old February 4th, 2022, 05:33 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Flesh and Blood! There's a local game shop where I'm friendly with the owner, and he's doing his best to get me to bite on that one.

How much have you played? How do you like it? He gave me a couple little sample decks but I don't really know what I'm looking at. And haven't spent time online to figure it out.
I've played quite a bit at this point. I think it's an excellent game. The simplicity of the base rules almost reminds me of HeroScape.

Effectively, you draw until you have 4 cards at the end of each of your own turns. On your turn, you take an action (either playing a card, or using a card you already have out- usually your weapon). Sometimes an action has "go again," which lets you take another action. You produce resources by "pitching" cards- cards pitch for 1, 2, or 3 resources. You also defend with these same cards. So the core rub is that because you only draw back up to 4 cards at the end of each of your own turns, the more you block with, the less you have to swing back at your opponent.

While it's a little more complicated than that, the actual rules of the game are pretty much that simple.

It's basically the reverse of Magic, or any other traditional CCG. In Magic, you progressively build your board. In FAB, you start off strongest at the beginning of the game, and you get progressively weaker as you use your one-time use equipments and play your best cards.

However, there is a lot of skill involved in the game- much more than just a few games can uncover. You have something called an "arsenal" slot. Basically, at the end of your turn (before drawing), you can put a card from your hand into arsenal. You can play it later, but you can't (generally) pitch it for resources or block with it. So choosing what to arsenal, when to arsenal, and when to play from arsenal is a huge deal.

You also have to choose when to "pivot." Tempo in FAB is a weird thing, because if you keep swinging at me and I don't want to take damage, then I have to keep blocking. But eventually either you'll have a subpar turn, or I'll have drawn what I need, and I won't block at all, and then I'll come back at you with a 5-card hand (4 cards in hand and the card I stashed in arsenal earlier). Choosing this pivot turn is absolutely crucial. It's almost a poker-like concept: I'm choosing not to block and betting, say, 12 health (the average damage that 4 cards can either present or prevent) on the fact that I'm going to deal at least that much back to you by the time you choose to pivot yourself and take back tempo from me.

This back-and-forth dance is absolutely fascinating to me. I've played probably 50ish games, and I still feel like an amateur at this concept.

And then you add in the fact that every hero plays differently, and you can build most heroes' decks in different ways. The hero classes are largely what you'd expect if you've played RPGs (which I know you have), or even something like Hearthstone- although there are some interesting differences.

And beyond just playing your chosen hero, you have to know how to play them into the others. This requires understanding both your general strategy and theirs so that you can figure out how you'll approach the matchup in an effective way. Knowing your win condition is crucial. For example, maybe you're playing a general midrange strategy. If you're playing against a more aggressive deck, you'll probably need to block with your hand turn after turn until you have exactly what you need to pull off an effective pivot turn. Conversely, if you're playing against a control deck, you'll need to really press on the gas pedal, and try to present more damage than they can block each turn.

Break points really matter here- the average card blocks for 3. Thus, two attacks of 3 are much worse than an attack of 4 and an attack of 2. The first scenario can be fully blocked by just about any two cards. The second requires three cards to block all the damage. And more likely, they'll only block the 4-damage with one card, so 1 damage will leak through. With starting at 40 health in the full constructed game, this might not seem like much, but games often come down to just a few health. And once you're below ~10 health, every point really matters, because if you can present lethal damage to your opponent turn after turn, they'll have to keep blocking, and you can prevent them from taking tempo back.

And beyond that, when you pitch a card for resources, it goes to the bottom of your deck (as opposed to cards you block with or play- they go to your discard pile). Thus, what you pitch later becomes what you draw. Learning to "pitch stack" becomes incredibly important against control decks that like to take the game long, as you can effectively guarantee amazing hands at later crucial points in the game by stashing away some of your great cards to the bottom of your deck. But the tradeoff of course is that you're probably making some of those earlier turns weaker- and the control deck is doing the exact same thing when they pitch.

That's definitely much more than what you wanted to know. I will say that this game does differ a bit from HeroScape in a fundamental way. HeroScape is amazing at all levels, be it tourneys or casual. FAB is best when you're playing at a semi-competitive level, and when you're willing to really dig in. It's a game that really rewards you for going deep- much like my other favorite card game, The Game of Thrones LCG 2.0 (RIP). So even if you're not playing at the pro-level events, digging a bit deeper into the system is very much rewarded.

Also, I've only played it 2-player. I've heard that the multiplayer format is a lot of fun, especially when it's a little more casual and when people are really utilizing the card effects designed for multiplayer (which allow for negotiation between players).
Old February 4th, 2022, 10:56 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Excellent! I'm so glad you answered.

I'm tempted to play with the FLGS owner now. I'm not buying anything, though! I just have these two starter decks he gave me. I don't have room in my life for another Thing!!!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 4th, 2022, 11:07 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Excellent! I'm so glad you answered.

I'm tempted to play with the FLGS owner now. I'm not buying anything, though! I just have these two starter decks he gave me. I don't have room in my life for another Thing!!!
Sorry for the delay- I didn't want to give a half-answer, but I was very busy this week. I think you'd like it- and it's certainly worth a try if it's free!
Old February 6th, 2022, 12:05 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Playing Sleeping Gods with my girlfriend.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games