Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 13th, 2012, 05:54 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth
Custom Terrain by Porkins

I've built enough custom terrain pieces now that I wanted to put up a display thread. Some of the items will have tutorials because I generally take pictures as I make them. I'll post these in reverse chronological order so you can see that as I learned and gained experience doing it, I gradually attempted more and more complex items. Browsing this forum for ideas and inspiration helped me a lot, as did looking at other sites. I also take ideas from actual objects I've seen.

I started on these fences a loooong time ago...I had to get sick to be able to finish them off today! I used the Grishnakh hex templates for the bases, which are cut out of matte board. Then I mashed some air dry clay on top with bits of sand and gravel, along with the dowels, which are from BBQ skewers. Next paint brown, wash dark brown, drybrush with brown mixed with yellow and finally drybrush again with ivory. Lastly I attached the screen (from an old window screen) with short pieces of the wire from a twisty tie and glued on the foliage.

I finally completed the Baxter Building by Grishnakh as a store-flat building. Here are some crummy pictures taken at night in a too dark room:
Spoiler Alert!

I've made several Grishnakh buildings. Here are some pictures of them in play:
Spoiler Alert!

The only problem with these buildings is that they take up so much storage space. So I built the tallest building in the back of the picture as a stackable, store-flat building. Tutorial
Spoiler Alert!

Vydar's Cloning Chamber. My entry into Lamaclown's first Trash-to-Treasure Custom Terrain contest. Tutorial.
Spoiler Alert!

Kingman, AZ Petro tank tutorial
Spoiler Alert!

Tucson I-10 water tank tutorial
Spoiler Alert!

Star Wars Rebel Power Generator from the planet Hoth (tutorial):
Spoiler Alert!

Dice Tower tutorial:
Spoiler Alert!

Lava Terrain tutorial:
Spoiler Alert!

Simple fish tank trees. These were my first customs, made shortly after I got my first Heroscape set. Just stick 'em on with hot glue. One even has some rocks added in for the roots to climb over. Despite being so simple, they do add a lot to the battlefield, particularly if you don't have any jungle terrain.
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Porkins; May 26th, 2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth
Re: Custom Terrain by Porkins

Sweet. The Rebel Power Generator looks awesome.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM
The Closer

Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Great looking stuff
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Love that Star Wars piece!

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Great work! That water tower is awesome too.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:14 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Really digging the power generator, it is very recognizable. The water tower turned out good too, you just need to add a figure to the pic for size comparison. Or throw it on a game board so we can see how it fits on a map.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

These all look awesome Porkins. Lets see it on a map!
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:47 AM

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

You will! I've already taken the pictures on the map for both of the tanks, just need to get them uploaded. The water tank has a ladder up the back side of it visible in the picture that is specifically made to fit scape figures.
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Updated pictures of the tanks. Tutorials coming soon as well as a few more smaller projects I have at various stages of completion:

Dungeon Walls
Cell Phone towers
Road Barricades:

Old June 14th, 2012, 02:59 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Those look great on the game board. The top of the water tower is pretty sweet with the not so obvious hexes. I also like the fact you can go underneath it to avoid a ranged figure camping on top. What did you use for the hand rail on those steps? Toothpicks?
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM

The upright pieces supporting the handrail are toothpicks, while the rails themselves and the remainder of the support structure are coffee stirrers. Same goes for the ladder on the other water tower.
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Dude, that's some pretty seriously cool stuff!

So many custom terrain builders ignore the fact that custom terrain has to work within the established terrain framework of the game. I can see that you've gone out of your way to make these tanks work. You should be very proud of these sitting on your game table. Great job!

A couple of questions: do you know exactly the level of each step on the petro tank? If not I would simply measure it and then mark it in small text next to each step. It would look like part numbers on the side of the petro tank for example and would be very small. That way, during a game, you can tell if a tall figure is adjacent to a small figure standing on a step.

Love the hexes on top of the water tower. Are you using my half hex rules for them or are you considering them full hexes?

Lastly, and yes - I know I'm OCD about these things - do you think you could base the water tower so that when it's placed it lines up exactly with the hexes? (Like you did with the petro tank.) That way the ladder lines up with the entry hex and you know exactly wether or not the supporting beams block movement? Don't know if it can be arranged to fit the hexes though. Or, if you're like my group, it doesn't so much matter since we play more friendly rather than competitive games.

Again, great stuff!

Last edited by Grishnakh; June 14th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles