Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape > Battlefields of Star Wars Scape
Battlefields of Star Wars Scape HoSS Maps and Scenarios

Old April 26th, 2017, 01:25 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth
Re: BoSS Battlefront - Brainstorming Phase

First draft at a rules re-write:

Battlefront Rules

Setup:

- Place Glyphs Symbol side up as shown on the map build directions.
- Each player brings or drafts an army of equal point value.
- Unless specified otherwise on a figure's Army Card, place all figures in the Start Zone. Any figures that do not fit in the Start Zone are placed to the side in the player's Army Reserve.

Gameplay:

The Glyphs on the map represent Control Points. Control Points are not like normal Glyphs. When a figure moves onto a Control Point, the Glyph is not flipped to Power side up. Instead, the figure may capture the Control Point. At the beginning of the game, all Control Points are neutral. When a figure is on the Control Point at the end of a round, that figure's army captures the Control Point. Place a marker (such as a Rebel or Imperial symbol) on the Control Point to indicate which player's army has captured that Control Point.

Control Points are only captured at the end of a round. If a figure moves onto a Control Point that has been captured by the opposing army, remove the marker. The Control Point becomes neutral. It cannot be captured by that figure until the end of the round.

At the end of each round, after capturing Control Points, count up the number of Control Points that each army has captured and subtract to find the difference. The army with the most control Points causes wounds to the opposing army equal to the difference between the number of captured Control Points, up to a maximum of two wounds. The player controlling the army that is receiving the wounds decides to which figure or figures the wounds will be applied.

Army Reserve:

Figures in the Army Reserve are not destroyed. At the end of each round, after Control Points have been captured and any wounds applied, each player must move as many figures as possible from their Army Reserve to their Start Zone. If at any time a player has no more figures on the battlefield while figures remain in that player's Army Reserve, that player must immediately move as many figures as possible into the Start Zone.

Advancing Units:

After capturing Control Points, applying wounds, and moving any figures from the Army Reserve to the Start Zone, each player may advance up to three figures. A player advances units by choosing up to three unengaged figures from the player's Start Zone or Army Reserve. The player then moves the chosen figures to any empty spaces adjacent to a Control Point that has been captured by that player. The player who won initiative for the round places any advancing units first, followed by the other player. After advancing any units, place Order Markers and roll for Initiative for the next round.

Last edited by Porkins; April 26th, 2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old April 26th, 2017, 01:48 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I seen two things that need clarified. Otherwise it looks well said. First. Id like to discuss the 2 wound cap. Second. We do need to clarify that the figures advanced to the cps are unengaged figures from either the startzone or the reserve. If you leave the max wounds at two then the player will turtle instead of go for more cps. My brother took 4 out of 5 of the cps but at that point I had been beaten by then anyway. It makes you constantly try to dominate the map if there isnt a cap.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:55 AM

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I reworded a bit in the post above to make the unengaged part clearer on Advancing Units.

As for the wound cap, I thought that's the path we were going down. Perhaps a vote?
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:14 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Looks good @Porkins . I wouldn't be opposed to a vote on the wound cap. I stated before that it is pretty hard to get more than two wounds until really late game. The way I figure is if the player can manage to move and hold those control points they should be able to do the damage. Really late game on the game I played last night was when my brother was able to take 4 of the 5. At that point it just made the game not drag out further. If your getting whipped really bad it just keeps it from dragging on. If its evened out back and forth you rarely even get the extra wound. I know there were some concerns on the game running away with victory for 1 side if they capture enough points. This could be somewhat valid but is somewhat fitting from the game perspective. If I'm the minority on this one its not a deal breaker for me. If the majority wants to cap it I'll go along with it. It really doesn't happen until late game anyways unless one of the players has absolutely horrible luck and/or has no sense at all.

Old April 26th, 2017, 11:28 AM

That's a good point: that if you manage to capture that many more CP's, you deserve to win.
Old April 26th, 2017, 04:25 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I was the one that brought up the idea of a cap but I have since backed away from that idea. In the game you could run away with the score when dominating so I actually like the idea of a run away victory occurring. Plus as mentioned by Trex, it will just end the game quicker if things are really going that badly for you so you can start the next game sooner and try it again.

I see you moved the 'teleport units' up event to the end of the round, thus before initiative is rolled. I don't have a strong preference to whether is should happen before or after initiative is rolled so that is fine with me.
Old April 26th, 2017, 04:37 PM

Yeah, I felt like it was too powerful after rolling initiative. We should try it before releasing the rules though.
Old April 26th, 2017, 05:14 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I was the one that brought up the idea of a cap but I have since backed away from that idea. In the game you could run away with the score when dominating so I actually like the idea of a run away victory occurring. Plus as mentioned by Trex, it will just end the game quicker if things are really going that badly for you so you can start the next game sooner and try it again.
Not sure if I posted or not but I agreed with the cap as well but Trex makes a good point. I was more worried about the advantage that could occur early with a more mobile army being able to create a situation that the other army has no chance to come back from. Late game runaway's that would otherwise be drawn out affairs is another issue so both have advantages and disadvantages.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:07 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

The game system itself lends itself to large swarming armies. Only way the system would be competitive for smaller armies is if both players agree to the same sized army ahead of time.
Old April 27th, 2017, 10:53 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
The game system itself lends itself to large swarming armies. Only way the system would be competitive for smaller armies is if both players agree to the same sized army ahead of time.
Don't under estimate the staying power of a hero. Having a multi life hero on a glyph to take control of it and survive and barrage of attacks and still take the glyph is a real plus you don't generally get out of a one life squad figure. Also, your more heavy hitting heroes can kill things such as turrets easier than smaller attacks from squads. My brother did great things with Drake alexander on our last battle in which we used pretty much all original heroscape figures. For all the folks watching this thread that don't have hoss figures, you can play this game mode with original heroscape figures. It still has a Battlefront play style but can be used by original scape as well. HOSS armies still fit theme better though.

Old April 27th, 2017, 02:41 PM
C3G Landlord

Yeah, heroes are certainly good but then the best heroes are those that bond with squads. I'm sure Vader would be awesome for taking and holding one glyph, but you better surround him with some Stormtroopers or he will only hold one glyph while your opponent takes the other 4.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:15 AM

I removed the wound cap and reworded a couple sentences about Advancing Figures for clarity. We need to make a decision about the timing of Advancing figures soon, like by noon on Wednesday in order to be ready in time. Has anybody tried the timing the way it is written here? What did you think?

Quote:
Battlefront Rules

Setup:

- Place Glyphs Symbol side up as shown on the map build directions.
- Each player brings or drafts an army of equal point value.
- Unless specified otherwise on a figure's Army Card, place all figures in the Start Zone. Any figures that do not fit in the Start Zone are placed to the side in the player's Army Reserve.

Gameplay:

The Glyphs on the map represent Control Points. Control Points are not like normal Glyphs. When a figure moves onto a Control Point, the Glyph is not flipped to Power side up. Instead, the figure may capture the Control Point. At the beginning of the game, all Control Points are neutral. When a figure is on the Control Point at the end of a round, that figure's army captures the Control Point. Place a marker (such as a Rebel or Imperial symbol) on the Control Point to indicate which player's army has captured that Control Point.

Control Points are only captured at the end of a round. If a figure moves onto a Control Point that has been captured by the opposing army, remove the marker. The Control Point becomes neutral. It cannot be captured by that figure until the end of the round.

At the end of each round, after capturing Control Points, count up the number of Control Points that each army has captured and subtract to find the difference. The army that has captured the most Control Points causes wounds to the opposing army equal to the difference between the number of captured Control Points. The player controlling the army that is receiving the wounds decides which figure or figures will receive the wounds.

Army Reserve:

Figures in the Army Reserve are not destroyed. At the end of each round, after Control Points have been captured and any wounds applied, each player must move as many figures as possible from their Army Reserve to their Start Zone. If at any time a player has no more figures on the battlefield while figures remain in that player's Army Reserve, that player must immediately move as many figures as possible into the Start Zone.

Advancing Figures:

After capturing Control Points, applying wounds, and moving any figures from the Army Reserve to the Start Zone, each player may advance up to three figures. A player advances figures by choosing up to three unengaged figures from the player's Start Zone or Army Reserve. The player then moves the chosen figures to any empty spaces adjacent to a Control Point that has been captured by that player. The player who won initiative for the round that was just completed places any advancing figures first, followed by the other player. After advancing figures, place Order Markers and roll for Initiative for the next round.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape > Battlefields of Star Wars Scape