Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old January 17th, 2018, 10:38 PM

aksisu11 knows what's in an order marker aksisu11 knows what's in an order marker aksisu11 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Modular dungeon walls (inspired by Raudulfr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaphaos View Post
Wow that snapmaker is neat how the heads can be swapped to engrave or etch. That 4" build plate turns me off though.
Yeah originally I was not too fond of that, but they plan to kick off add-ons to make the print area larger. I think I may focus on minis first too though. Oh and laser etching dice too
Old January 18th, 2018, 12:44 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I've used a combination of CREO and Blender on my 3D models. CREO is good for parametric resizing and for precision. Blender is good for adding textures and free-hand fixing things.

I think the snapmaker looks awesome and a lot more reliable than my printer, but I wouldn't give up my 7"x7"x7" print table for it.
Old January 18th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby!

Test print of a door section was successful. A little bit of filing to clean off support material is needed. I still need to add some additional texture, stones around the door etc. Also thinking about adding small fluff details like a door handle, ornate entryway, skulls etc. Any suggestions? The outer hinge design works well. I designed it to use a thin paperclip, twist tie wire etc to thread though and bend at both ends.

Old January 18th, 2018, 11:29 AM

Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
I've used a combination of CREO and Blender on my 3D models. CREO is good for parametric resizing and for precision. Blender is good for adding textures and free-hand fixing things.

I think the snapmaker looks awesome and a lot more reliable than my printer, but I wouldn't give up my 7"x7"x7" print table for it.
Thanks for your input on programs used. I downloaded Blender this morning. It seems to have a nice amount of options for sculpt/texture. I just need to learn what everything does now haha.
Old January 18th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

And so the age of plastic buildings had begun...

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old January 18th, 2018, 04:46 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaphaos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post

Thanks for your input on programs used. I downloaded Blender this morning. It seems to have a nice amount of options for sculpt/texture. I just need to learn what everything does now haha.
Below are the steps I use to create textures on objects in Blender. Note that I actually create a negative texture "stamp" with an extra object and then subtract it from the object I want to have a texture. This allows me to easily apply the texture to different faces. There may be better ways, but this has worked well for me.

Note also that your image must be the negative shading of what you want. It's easy to change in photoshop.

Adding Texture to an Object in Blender
(Using Displacement Maps)

1) Create a cube
2) Go into Edit mode and select the top face of the cube
3) Subdivide the top surface into lots of parts (higher resolution = better texture, but uses a lot of memory) (Note that you can triangulate the surface <ctrl-T> for a different effect also)
4) Keep the surface selected, but go into Object Mode
5) Tool Tab: Add Modifier à Displace
6) Textures Tab: Make sure it says Displace and then click <+ new>
7) Change the Type to Image, select Open, and choose an image
Go back to Add Modifier and change the Strength as needed
9) Apply Modifier (this will permanently add the texture to the object)

That creates your negative stamp object.

10) Move your stamp object to the surface you want to texture.
11) Select the object you want to texture.
12) Tool Tab: Add Modifier à Boolean
13) Operation: Difference
14) Select the stamp under Object in the Boolean menu
15) Apply Modifier
Old January 19th, 2018, 10:51 AM

After a few hour session doing some more work on this last night i'm thinking of eliminating the hex bases. It would further eliminate plastic used, reduce the print times and free up more positioning on how you want to lay everything out on the board. The walls will remain exactly the same. At that point it kind of loses it's Heroscape feel though and just turns into a generic wall set. Kind of torn on what to do.

My 3D printed dungeon project
Heroscape and AOTP army card cases
Arena of the Planeswalkers repaints
Check out my Thingiverse page for upcoming 3d file releases related to Heroscape/AOTP!
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:13 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think as long as it fits securely on the hexes, it shouldn't be an issue?
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:27 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Doing it like the ruins where it sits "between" hexes would be great and free up some space. Fewer half hexes.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old January 19th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Doing it like the ruins where it sits "between" hexes would be great and free up some space. Fewer half hexes.
Also if you put "Nubs" on the bottom which fit in the spaces between the razed center of the hex's they will stay secure and be very heroscapy.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old January 19th, 2018, 01:46 PM

I prefer thin bases like the evergreen trees sit on.
Old January 19th, 2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Also if you put "Nubs" on the bottom which fit in the spaces between the razed center of the hex's they will stay secure and be very heroscapy.
Both good ideas. I also like White Knights thin hex idea and it was the first thing I thought of doing after scrapping the full hex anchor. I saw Srmalloy posted some nice flat hex "caps" on Thingiverse a while ago. Is he still around?

My 3D printed dungeon project
Heroscape and AOTP army card cases
Arena of the Planeswalkers repaints
Check out my Thingiverse page for upcoming 3d file releases related to Heroscape/AOTP!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles