Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old November 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Get out and Vote...

Do it if your eligible to tomorrow. Vote for who you think is best. Just do it. In our country, not voting is NOT an intelligent choice. It's not a protest, it's removing yourself from the process completely. It does not help you, it does not empower you, it does absolutely nothing.

And if you don't vote, don't whine to anybody else about the political process because not voting removes you from it so put up or shut up.

In other words, participate. Get out and vote.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:25 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker
Re: Get out and Vote...

Hehe. We're voting in school tomorrow, not officially though.

The only problem with people who dont(and some who do) vote is that many people aren't willing to do the research, and instead listen to all the false commercials, and therefor, are voting unwisely.
Just my 2cents from what I've heard, in Civics mainly.
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post

The only problem with people who dont(and some who do) vote is that many people aren't willing to do the research, and instead listen to all the false commercials, and therefor, are voting unwisely.
It's true. Many people will vote simply party line. Many people will not do even cursory research on the stands of the politicians. But at least those people are making an effort to actual vote. Most don't even do that. Last midterm, only 40% of eligible donors voted. 40%. Meanwhile, in countries like Iraq, there are people literally risking their own life to not only vote, but vote at about twice that rate. Heck, even for presidential elections we only average around 60%.

It's not hard. It's not difficult. Do the right thing and vote.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post

It's true. Many people will vote simply party line. Many people will not do even cursory research on the stands of the politicians. But at least those people are making an effort to actual vote. Most don't even do that. Last midterm, only 40% of eligible donors voted. 40%. Meanwhile, in countries like Iraq, there are people literally risking their own life to not only vote, but vote at about twice that rate. Heck, even for presidential elections we only average around 60%.

It's not hard. It's not difficult. Do the right thing and vote.
I'm not sure it is the right thing. I listened to an interesting Dan Carlin podcast on this topic, in which he wondered if having a compulsory voting policy would actually change the outcome. He debated the pros and cons of hearing everyone's opinion vs only hearing the opinions of those that care.

Voting is compulsory in my country... it's difficult to tell whether it has any impact whatsoever on the result.

CRC

P.S. In my country the major parties have large groups of campaign volunteers out the front of polling booths, handing out leaflets, and 'how to vote' (for my major political party) cards. This disadvantages independents, it should be illegal.

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

You know, in my opinion, I'd rather have those who don't have the desire to learn about the candidates to stay home...

With that said, I would love to see 100% turn-out... and every one of the voters to do so from a position of the facts...

Maybe then we won't have to hold our noses when we make our selections...

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
You know, in my opinion, I'd rather have those who don't have the desire to learn about the candidates to stay home...

With that said, I would love to see 100% turn-out... and every one of the voters to do so from a position of the facts...

Maybe then we won't have to hold our noses when we make our selections...
So you want 10 people to vote

Old November 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

I don't think these calls to vote mean that people feel voting should be mandatory. I think, and I agree with this, that people should realize the great privilege one has in having that right and should take the opportunity to utilize it.

Without going into a political rant, I consider myself a political orphan who feels the two parties have gotten too extreme and are more interested in sabotaging the efforts of the other side than actually accomplishing anything. There have been several elections where I did feel like giving up and not voting. However, once I step into the voting booth, everything is pulled into perspective in that one brief moment. When I leave, I feel a great sense of pride.
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
I don't think these calls to vote mean that people feel voting should be mandatory. I think, and I agree with this, that people should realize the great privilege one has in having that right and should take the opportunity to utilize it.

Without going into a political rant, I consider myself a political orphan who feels the two parties have gotten too extreme and are more interested in sabotaging the efforts of the other side than actually accomplishing anything. There have been several elections where I did feel like giving up and not voting. However, once I step into the voting booth, everything is pulled into perspective in that one brief moment. When I leave, I feel a great sense of pride.
The most important thing to realize is that a "protest" non-vote does absolutely nothing. Sometimes, yes, you have to pick the lesser of 2 evils instead of the greater of the 2 goods (most of the time actually), but not voting means any voice you have is gone.

The biggest issue ultimately is the extremely poor voting numbers in primaries. The extremes almost always vote, including in the primaries - which have the lowest turnout rates of any election type. So these people, most likely tend to be the most partisan and who do you think they are most likely to vote for? The moderates who would be most willing to compromise with their counterparts from across the aisles? Not likely. Voters should be more involved at every process, instead of just doing it for the actual mid-term election and maybe a little more often on presidential election cycles.

That increased voter participation on every level would help weed out the extremes, give more power to the moderates on both sides, and be far more likely to decrease partisanship. It won't ever be perfect, no model is, but it would make things a good deal better.

Old November 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Woohoo! All you grown-ups get to vote and I get to ditch school

For those few(any) in the Greater Cleveland Area who may be voting, Max S. Hayes is hosting some voting over there.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:26 PM

Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker

I'm voting after work tomorrow. Spent some time tonight researching some of the obscure votes and ballot questions for my area. Already had a good idea who I was voting for in some of the state and national elections.

Take some time and exercise your RIGHT to vote. Many GREAT men and women have given their lives to allow us the freedom to vote.

My greatest Heroscape mistake: Thinking that Heroscape was a $40 $400 game!
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:30 PM

Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby!

Dude, all the people suck. My folks are voting for unknowns.

"People of Gotham! Take control.... take control of your city! THIS.... this is the instrument, of your liberation...."
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claws of Death View Post
Dude, all the people suck. My folks are voting for unknowns.
All the more reason to actually do the research because then it's a matter of picking who would do the least amount of damage from your reference point.

EDIT: Getting dressed right now to go vote.

EDIT 2: All done, so what's your excuse

Last edited by jschild; November 2nd, 2010 at 06:50 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General