Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old April 28th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Three members of the Gang of Four played The Order of the Stick Adventure Game at Chas' house. It ran pretty long, but there is a lot of humor in the game. Poor Chas had a run of bad luck and didn't score very high in victory points. I narrowly beat out Shermandavies for the win. It's a great game if you've read the comic on which it's based. It also plays something like Munchkin, but the games are definitely different.

Old April 28th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

More Star Realms tonight. We love that little game, and the more we play, the more subtleties we discover.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
More Star Realms tonight. We love that little game, and the more we play, the more subtleties we discover.

Hey DS, I got to play Star Realms a couple times tonight shortly after getting to our game night. After socializing for a couple minutes, I saw one of the guys laying out cards that looked familiar (thanks you you talking about it and me researching it ), so I confirmed with him that it was Star Realms and asked to play. The first game I was loading up on the red cards and after he had been steadily damaging me, I laid into him for 16 points damage to drop him down to my level of 33. We eventually got to where I was in the teens and he had like 24 or something, then I put the hammer down and lit him up to win, ditching cards to get their extra attack strength. Then we played again and I had a good mix of yellow and green, with a cool red card. Got a couple outposts and a starbase? out there while having 30 health still. He would have had to do take out my 4 and 5 defense outposts before getting to me and he couldn't do it before I whittled him down and went in for the kill.

I really liked the game and it was easy to learn and played fast. Thanks for talking about it so that I'd notice and look into it and eventually be aware of it enough to ask to play when I saw it out tonight. Fun little deckbuilder that doesn't take forever to build up before being able to have fun damaging the other player.

After Star Realms, I went over to talk to my buddy Brian, and he asked if I wanted to play Lewis and Clark. Heck yeah! I said.

We found 3 others and had a 5 player game. It's long with 5 players, especially when Brian had only played it once, and nobody else had played. But once we got the gist of the rules, it was easy rules wise, but a bunch of painful decisions that made the game tense and incredibly awesome.

It's a worker placement game, but also resource management and hand management. The cards have several functions on them and the theme is great in that the more stuff you carry on your boats, and the more Indians you have in your party, the slower you advance up the river and/or over the mountains. You have a scout pawn that you move forward along the route in various ways after getting/spending resources or using special card abilities, but then you have to break camp to bring your camp token forward. If you have too many goods on your boats or too many Indians, or cards left in your hand when you break camp, after bringing your camp token up to your scout, you can be penalized and move it backward some. So there is a lot going on, and a lot of it is timing and planning.

It also has a 7 Wonders element in that when you use your cards to get resources, you can also count matching resource symbols on the played cards of players on either side of you, as well as yourself. So watching what your neighbors have out in front of them is key to maximizing your return of resources. The thing too, is that you start out with 6 different cards (each player starts out with the same types), but you can buy more that come out throughout the game. When you play cards as your action (you can also use the Indian meeples in typical worker placement fashion instead of playing cards), those cards stay in front of you until you take a break camp action to bring your camp up to where your scout is. Along with other penalties, you are penalized 1 space backward for each card left in your hand when breaking camp. So while you can't get back played cards until you break camp, you have to time it right so that you have 0 or minimum cards left in your hand when breaking camp.

Anyway, it was a close finish and a very cool and thematic game.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:41 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Ah, the amazingness of being a Demon Collector:

I just finished calculating, based on bgg lists just released, if I can cover the basic small scale infantry types needed for the new Memoir 44 Expansion "D-Day Landings." I have enough Americans no sweat. But with almost 300 British and German figures required, I added up guys from:

1. Memoir 44
2. Memoir 44 Overlord cardboard substitute counters
3. Axis and Allies The Original Game
4. Axis and Allies D-Day
5. Axis and Allies Land Miniatures

When I finally got finished with all the math, out of almost 300 figures needed to set up the whole six maps at once on my table, I was short by:

(wait for it) TWO figures. Which I can easily make up by throwing in some substitutes; say a Pole and a Rumanian (or one unit of each). Not bad! Bring on the new maps...

Last edited by chas; April 29th, 2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old April 29th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Ah, the amazingness of being a Demon Collector:

I just finished calculating, based on bgg lists just released, if I can cover the basic small scale infantry types needed for the new Memoir 44 Expansion" D-Day Landings." I have enough Americans no sweat. But with almost 300 British and German figures required, I added up guys from:

1. Memoir 44
2. Memoir 44 Overlord cardboard substitued counters
3. Axis and Allies The Original Game
4. Axis and Allies D-Day
5. Axis and Allies Land Miniatures

When I finally got finished with all the math, out of almost 300 figures needed to set up the whole six maps at once on my table, I was short by:

(wait for it) TWO figures. Which I can easily make up by throwing in some substitutes; say a Pole and a Rumanian (or one unit of each). Not bad! Bring on the new maps...
Nice!

Just got in an Axis & Allies Bandits High starter set game. I forgot all about this game and how much I like it. The P-38 that comes in the starter is pretty sweet.

Also had a barn burner of a DC Comic card game today at lunch. Starfire going up against Red Tornado. Stephen thought for sure he had won with Tornado's 87 points only to be heartbroken by Starfire's 104. BOOM! We combined both it and Heroes Unite completely, instead of the recommended way and it seems to work well.
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Trench of Valor is an awesome game...
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hahma, I'm glad you liked it. It plays fast, it plays differently every time, and there's more depth to it than you might think at first. We got in a few games last night and traded wins for a while.

So far the only thing we've found as a sure strategy is to go all-Blob (green), but that only works if the cards show up in the center row. If they do, it's a short & bloody game. If not, you have to play anyway.

= =
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Hahma, I'm glad you liked it. It plays fast, it plays differently every time, and there's more depth to it than you might think at first. We got in a few games last night and traded wins for a while.

So far the only thing we've found as a sure strategy is to go all-Blob (green), but that only works if the cards show up in the center row. If they do, it's a short & bloody game. If not, you have to play anyway.

DS, the only thing I noticed in the 2 games I played, was that my opponent was using tactics to buy more cards, even though he did ditch some of the basic ones. But I was buying the most expensive cards I could get and also got a 2 money generic ships that are always available if I had extra from the 3, 4 or 5 cost cards I bought. So maybe the quality over quantity thing worked for me in those two games.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Well, like with any game where you are building a deck, you'd be wise not to clutter it up. KS and I both frequently choose not to purchase, rather than purchase something that doesn't fit with what we've got going. I probably would be wise to employ that strategy even more often, thinking back on our last couple of games.

= =
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Two games of Kingsburg with the expansion and all optional modules tonight! Lots of fun. It's a very different game with the expansion.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 1st, 2014, 01:26 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Got about halfway through a game of Railways of North America today at lunch. I love Railways, but we play so infrequently due to all other versions playing better with more than 2 players, that I don't start to develop a good plan until about mid-game. This plays pretty well with 2, so hopefully it will make it to the desk more often.
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've gotten a couple of games of Star Realms in lately, including a solo game using the "Pirates of the Dark Star" scenario. I have to echo D_S that this is quite a fun little game. I still really like Ascension, but the theme of Star Realms is more accessible to many of my potential gaming partners.

I also made the mistake of picking up a starter set of Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs X-Men at a local Target (as an aside: I truly am in the middle of nowhere as far as gaming is concerned. There is general uproar and widespread panic on the internet about how hard it is to find these Starter sets. Meanwhile, there are two more starters gathering dust at a Target not two miles from my house for the last 3 days. Obviously, no one follows the internet around here.)

I say mistake, because I've read through the rules and played through a learning game, and I have to say this game seems very, very fun and addicting. There are a lot of neat decisions to make each turn, with some nice randomness thrown in. The games go pretty quickly, and the big variety of card interactions seems to add a lot of replayability. The only problem is that I was immediately forced to purchase a gravity feed as a result of all this, and I'm still missing a few! I did pull a super rare Mr. Fantastic, though (I'm not quite Jim, but I'm trying).

Once the game is more readily available, I'd definitely reccommend giving it a try. Even though I bought some boosters, I really don't think you need to spend a ton of money to have enough to enjoy the game a great deal.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games