Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!
Three "Gain High Ground" ?'s

I just got some Granite guardians 2 days ago, and have three questions.

1) I think the answer is yes, but just to be sure, can I move all of my Granite Guardians with GHG? It says to move each granite guardian you control.
2) When moving with GHG, do you take leaving engagement attacks?
3) The most burning question, what are the rules for using GHG to move up ladders?

Thanks in advance to whoever answers the questions.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Three "Gain High Ground" ?'s

1) yes
2) yes
3) Did you check the book?

I believe the consensus on 3 is that they can only move up or down one rung on a ladder, onto the landing space, or the space at the top of the ladder, no matter what the actual height difference is.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:04 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

I think the general consensus to question "1)" may not be make sense with the ruling of Sgt. Drake, and should only apply to Guardians who can "move up." I brought this up in the Book of Sgt. Drake, but the wordings for Gain High Ground and Grapple Arm 25 are essentially the same. Sgt. Drake's FAQ section says he can only use it to "move up," not to level ground or downward. The Granite Guardians wording is the same, so, long story short:

Granite Guardians CAN NOT use Gain High Ground to move level or downward.

I hope they change the wording or FAQ to fix this.
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
I think the general consensus to question "1)" may not be make sense with the ruling of Sgt. Drake, and should only apply to Guardians who can "move up." I brought this up in the Book of Sgt. Drake, but the wordings for Gain High Ground and Grapple Arm 25 are essentially the same. Sgt. Drake's FAQ section says he can only use it to "move up," not to level ground or downward. The Granite Guardians wording is the same, so, long story short:

Granite Guardians CAN NOT use Gain High Ground to move level or downward.

I hope they change the wording or FAQ to fix this.
I don't I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book of Drake
- GRAPPLE GUN 25 : Downward Movement
Can Sgt. Drake Alexander travel down up to 25 levels with his Grapple Gun without taking falling damage?
No, The wording for Grapple Gun states: “This space may be up to 25 levels HIGHER.” If Sgt. Drake Alexander travels down, he would take falling damage like any other figure. His Grapple Gun only helps him to travel up, not down. (Hasbro FAQ)
Emphasis added. Drake can move down with a grapple gun activation, he just risks falling because normal movement rules apply. It's the same with the Granite Gaurdians, when moving down normal movement rules aplly. If they're moving up, normal movement rules don't apply, they may ignore elevations up to four levels.

Last edited by Xn F M; April 15th, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

I disagree. I think it is just saying you can't use Grapple Gun to fall down levels.

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Gets It!!!

Then why wouldn't it use the much more simple, direct statement that "Drake cannot move down with Grapple Gun" instead of saying that if Drake moves down, normal movement rules apply?

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I think that when moving down, RotV Drake is simply not using Grapple Gun.

Old April 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

The more confusing FAQ is this one:
Quote:
- GRAPPLE GUN 25 : Grappling Over A Ruin
Can Sgt. Drake Alexander Grapple over a ruin and onto the hex on the other side?
Yes he can, as long as the addition height of the ruin (6 levels) does not exceed his Grapple Gun’s total height limit of 25 levels, and the landing space is HIGHER than his starting space. Note, if he does Grapple over the ruin, he will take falling damage on the other side (fall of 6 levels). (Hasbro FAQ)
Which dictates the "landing space is higher" than the starting space. Gain High Ground is the exact same, so I think it can only be used to move up.

Questions: Can a Granite Guardian on a castle use Gain High Ground to skip over a battlement and fall down 10+ levels to a water space below? Can Sgt. Drake do so this using Grapple Gun? I think the FAQ says Sgt. Drake can't do so with Grapple Gun (of course he could walking, so pretend it is a ruin if you want), so why would a Granite Guardian be able to?

Honestly, I just want the old FAQ to be thrown out, but until it is I think the Granite Guardians are being played incorrectly.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Ok...lets screw the FAQ for a second. What does the Granite Guardians card say?

Quote:
Granite Guardians: Gain High Ground

After taking a turn with Granite Guardians, you may move each Granite Guardian you control up to 1 space. This space may be up to 4 level higher.
What does that card say? 1) You MAY move each Granite Guardian you control up to 1 space. So you can either move it one space or no spaces. Simple enough. 2) This space MAY be up to 4 level higher. So, you may ignore elevation movement rules and go from a level 1 space to, say, a level 3 space. No where in that power does it say you can't move down elevation or across level elevation.

Use common sense when reading the power of units and you'll be ok. You don't need to analyze every word and cross reference it with an old FAQ for another unit (with a different power to boot) to determine what can and can not be done. Stop the rules lawyering and do what it says.

PS: When a new edition of something, such as an FAQ, is released, it becomes the supreme ruling. So the old FAQ has no authority over the situation anyway.
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Good job, KCU! The GG would take falling damage if applicable, but that's the only restriction (besides Hot Lava Death!). Oh, and heavy snow/slippery ice would be impassable. All common sense.

Old April 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Something to consider: the power is called "gain HIGH ground" If you are not moving up, how are you gaining high ground?

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:20 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDD View Post
Something to consider: the power is called "gain HIGH ground" If you are not moving up, how are you gaining high ground?
You are moving toward the high ground, which allows you to gain it quicker on a future move.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's