Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
One of the great things about having no official tournament structure is that you can decide the format for your tournament. For instance, at the Tree Town Open, we are having a special tree rule and every map will utilize trees. If we had some official sanctioning body, we probably wouldn't be able to do these types of things.
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced
One of the great things about having no official tournament structure is that you can decide the format for your tournament. For instance, at the Tree Town Open, we are having a special tree rule and every map will utilize trees. If we had some official sanctioning body, we probably wouldn't be able to do these types of things.
This is an excellent point and illustrates the present state of Heroscape and the Heroscape community who are creative. Heroscape is customizable and each tournament can be as well. The biggest challenge behind putting on a Heroscape tourney is getting all of the supplies to one place. This is the major drawback to Heroscape that does not plague other systems.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
This is an excellent point and illustrates the present state of Heroscape and the Heroscape community who are creative. Heroscape is customizable and each tournament can be as well. The biggest challenge behind putting on a Heroscape tourney is getting all of the supplies to one place. This is the major drawback to Heroscape that does not plague other systems.
Yeah, right now, all of the load is on the person who has the initiative to make it happen. Without those people taking on that load, they would not happen. There really isn't an incentive to run these things besides one's own perosonal satisfation. For other games I have been a TD, there have been other incentives such as exclusive items, reward dollars for their online store, free product etc.. I think those things are nice, and some areas will not see organized play without them, as most TDs are probably in it a lot of times for the extra incentives.
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
Yeah, right now, all of the load is on the person who has the initiative to make it happen. Without those people taking on that load, they would not happen. There really isn't an incentive to run these things besides one's own perosonal satisfation. For other games I have been a TD, there have been other incentives such as exclusive items, reward dollars for their online store, free product etc.. I think those things are nice, and some areas will not see organized play without them, as most TDs are probably in it a lot of times for the extra incentives.
If Heroscape had started with this intention then I'm sure we would have seen something like this. Yes, as of now it is up to the individuals, but the pay-off is huge in terms of connections and friendships. The events in texas take on a life of their own. We do not really have any one person in charge because it seems everybody pitches in to make it happen. I have seen plenty of D&D miniaturte events run in a similar fashion. At Gencon you have the official D&D minis events and you also have ones that are sponsored by places such as Maxminis.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
man, are you preachin' to the qhoir there, GB! (I'll leave the typo)

The main difficulty of HS events is getting the product to run it - forget prizes - it takes a LOT of sets to make enough maps for a 16-person tourney!
That's a lot of cash outlay to expect , on top of the significant time energy and effort investment the organizer has to invest, for the sole purpose of letting other people play this great game.

I'm a big proponent of the game, but to be honest, I'd rather have someone else run it, if there is no support from Hasbro forthcoming. It is simply too much of a Herculean effort.

Every HSer that likes the idea of HS tournaments/events should thank Sandra at HouseMouse Games, because I don't know if there will be any more large tournaments if not for her sponsorship.

Now, local regional gamedays are another thing - playing at someone's house, or a gamestore, is another thing entirely - you can expect each individual to bring some and set up - whoever doesn;t bring and set up, risks not having a place.
Besides, those Gamedays are more fun IMO than convention tournaments, and based on reading about each regions' gamedays, that seems to be the case everywhere.
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Quote:
Every HSer that likes the idea of HS tournaments/events should thank Sandra at HouseMouse Games, because I don't know if there will be any more large tournaments if not for her sponsorship.
This is a good point, but I don't know why we need to put all the pressure on Sandra. Running an event at a Con is also a way to generate funds. If you want to ask Sandra, then you should be willing to structure your events in a manner that compensates her. I believe that she already has the sets, so it is just the shipping. Also there are members who OWN enough sets to throw huge tourneys. Perhaps there could be a future arrangement where there is a supply of 10 master sets that are shipped to the events in the name of whoever or perhaps Heroscapers. The ideas are endless. Once the ownership is established it is only shipping that is to be dealt with.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM
has been BANNED

GB - I've been wanting to make a HS Organizer/Envoy thread for awhile.

What you are suggesting here means we should get a list of interested organizers that would be willing to run structured events in their area.
There could be a dedicated stock of HS Master Sets (minimum 8 ) and maybe some expansions that as you say, could be shipped or transported from event to event. Also any banners (like the sweet one at Gencon you linked to) and any other promotional materials (a stock of HSers business cards, or stickers, or whatever we collectively can think of).

This would help organize and structure a coordinated, scheduled awareness for events and provide sponsorship where without it, no event will be run.

I would link the HS Event Guide to it, and vice-versa.

As an added possibility, if we are fortunate enough to get Hasbro to sponsor events in the future, they could simply use this list as an easy evolvement into an Envoy program.
My guess is, they don;t have the interest or personnel to organize an Envoy program on their own, but if we can hand it to them on a silver platter, with no effort on their part needed other than a little communication and product/prize support, then maybe they'll be more likely to do it (for the greater exposure of their game).

Want me to make the thread, GB?
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersaurus
GB - I've been wanting to make a HS Organizer/Envoy thread for awhile.

What you are suggesting here means we should get a list of interested organizers that would be willing to run structured events in their area.
There could be a dedicated stock of HS Master Sets (minimum 8 ) and maybe some expansions that as you say, could be shipped or transported from event to event. Also any banners (like the sweet one at Gencon you linked to) and any other promotional materials (a stock of HSers business cards, or stickers, or whatever we collectively can think of).

This would help organize and structure a coordinated, scheduled awareness for events and provide sponsorship where without it, no event will be run.

I would link the HS Event Guide to it, and vice-versa.

As an added possibility, if we are fortunate enough to get Hasbro to sponsor events in the future, they could simply use this list as an easy evolvement into an Envoy program.
My guess is, they don;t have the interest or personnel to organize an Envoy program on their own, but if we can hand it to them on a silver platter, with no effort on their part needed other than a little communication and product/prize support, then maybe they'll be more likely to do it (for the greater exposure of their game).

Want me to make the thread, GB?
Sure by all means.... But I want you to remember one thing. You are very focused on Hasbro support and I think you are misguided in that, The reason I think so is that fact that Scrabble and Risk tournaments have been held at cons for years without much real tangible support from Hasbro. Looking to them for support is fine but whether that support is forthcoming or not should not be criteria for having events or not. We are a community and a big and enthusiastic one. We can establish our own events and do so with more frequency and creativity than we could if we were to follow some preset standards.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM
has been BANNED

I'm kinda confused, GB - I thought I went to great detail as to how this Organizer program would be so that HSers can run the events themselves, using HouseMouse's supplies if neccessary.

I mentioned the possibility of Hasbro supporting this in the future if we have it all set up, specifically because you mentioned before that that is a possibility for the future.

I'm getting mixed signals from you, GB. Am I reading you wrong? I'm hoping you will spearhead this with me and maybe oogie and others - if not, there's no point in spending the effort to try and get this together....
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersaurus
I'm kinda confused, GB - I thought I went to great detail as to how this Organizer program would be so that HSers can run the events themselves, using HouseMouse's supplies if neccessary.

I mentioned the possibility of Hasbro supporting this in the future if we have it all set up, specifically because you mentioned before that that is a possibility for the future.

I'm getting mixed signals from you, GB. Am I reading you wrong? I'm hoping you will spearhead this with me and maybe oogie and others - if not, there's no point in spending the effort to try and get this together....
Maybe I'm mistaken then. What I am trying to say is we need to think of ourselves as independent of Sandra or Hasbro. That way we always have events covered, and if they get more support from Sandra or Hasbro then all the better but we can do it on our own too. What exactly are you saying in a nutshell? Nevermined, I get what you're saying it just seems to have an end in mind while I was thinking more open ended.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:43 PM

LoneDragon is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I don't like the rule for the dice falling off the table rule... People get excited when they get into the game, and when people get excited, sometimes the dice go flying. I don't think people should be penalized for getting into the game and being excited....

I only drink the blood of my enemies, and occasionally a strawberry yoohoo.

Good Trades: R˙chean, Vydar, kboleen, Hahma
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneDragon
I don't like the rule for the dice falling off the table rule... People get excited when they get into the game, and when people get excited, sometimes the dice go flying. I don't think people should be penalized for getting into the game and being excited....
We always reroll any dice that fall off of the table.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events