Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

View Poll Results: Which squad smashed the competition (choose 3)?
San Francisco Giants 3 12.50%
Ogre Clubbers 0 0%
Ogre Brutes 3 12.50%
Mountain Gaints 8 33.33%
Hill Giants 8 33.33%
Hill Goliaths of Goldcrest 5 20.83%
Hill Giant Brute Squad 3 12.50%
Grimm Giants 2 8.33%
Giants of Eberron 10 41.67%
Giants of Barrenspur 13 54.17%
Giant Gruts 0 0%
Fi, Fo, and Fum 5 20.83%
Dead Mountain Ogres 4 16.67%
Blackened Teeth 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1st, 2018, 11:37 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Autumn Custom Competition Poll - Vote by October 8

The entries votes are in! We had some fabulous entries this year, and the people have decided that simple is better. I can't say I disagree (mostly because I forgot to vote so I don't deserve to complain. That's how democracy works, eh?).

Congratulations @Arch-vile !

Giants of Barrenspur

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

@flameslayer93 's San Francisco Giants

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

@kolakoski 's Ogre Clubbers

@Heroscaper 101 's Ogre Brutes

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Rulings and Clarifications:
Spoiler Alert!

@Astroking112 's Mountain Giants

@Ronin 's Hill Giants

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

@superfrog 's Hill Goliaths of Goldcrest

@Dark_Stranger 's Hill Giant Brute Squad

Clarifications:
Spoiler Alert!

@obfuscatedhippo 's Grimm Giants

@Flash_19 Giants of Eberron

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

@Airballshooter 's Giant Gruts

@NecroBlade 's Fi, Fo, and Fum

Design Notes:
Spoiler Alert!

@Taeblewalker 's Dead Mountain Ogres

@Lazy Orang 's Blackened Teeth

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; October 8th, 2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old October 1st, 2018, 02:42 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Autumn Custom Competition Poll - Vote by October 8

Voted! Interesting set here.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 1st, 2018, 03:59 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I really like the Hill Giants. The theme is spot on.

The San Francisco Giants made me laugh. It's a really cool card design.
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:20 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Really dig the Giants of Barrenspur. Lean, fun design with a cool call-back to the RotV supplemental materials.
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:27 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

There are a lot of great ideas here. Unfortunately, none of them seem to be on the same card! Or to put it another way, most cards have at least one great idea but then one or more terrible ideas as well. I wanted to like most of them, but most of them had something that makes me very glad none of these are close to official. In the end, I gave everything a second read through and picked a top 3 that, if not perfect, at least had the most good ideas without also having the most bad ideas. Having a point cost that seemed a bit off wasn't as big a detractor as a bad combination of stats and powers, btw.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:31 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I'll post some thoughts in a few days, towards the end of voting. There's some really intriguing cards here.
Old October 1st, 2018, 07:19 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I'll post some thoughts in a few days, towards the end of voting. There's some really intriguing cards here.

Don't worry about waiting until the end to post your thoughts, as long as you manage to stay away from plugging your own entry (or giving it away) I would encourage everyone to share all of their thoughts. I'm going to try and post something going into some detail on every entry in the next couple of days (I would say tonight, but I know that if I say that it'll end up being Sunday).

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old October 1st, 2018, 08:52 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Okay, you asked for it!

San Francisco Giants
Cute. I'm guessing there's some references in their individual names that I'm not getting. Photoshopping them onto a baseball diamond in the first side of the card would have been a nice touch. 3 defense seems low.

Ogre Clubbers
I can't tell how serious this card is (not that an un-serious card is a bad thing). I'm not a huge fan of their ability to respawn. Late Clubbing would have some weird rules issues as well. I do appreciate all the references to "clubbing" in all its forms.

Ogre Brutes
Are they Ogres, or Giants? A 3 dice bonus against small/medium figures is HUGE. I'm also not a fan of unique squads bonding with heroes.

Mountain Giants
Only 3 attack is too low, in my opinion. Knockback is cool, but I think giants should have a bit more pop.

Hill Giants
Slow Swings is a super cool power. I just don't think Clumsy Attackers delivers the theme very well. It ends up being a benefit a fair amount of the time, as long as you don't set yourself up for the negative effects.

Hill Goliaths of Goldcrest
Goliaths means something in Heroscape (see Eltahale), and these guys aren't that. The only other complaint I have is that this is too simple/straightforward of a design.

Hill Giant Brute Squad
At the end of every turn? What about opponent's turns where you killed an opponent from a leaving engagement attack? Defensive Smash is super punishing with a defense of 7. I wish Rampage had more swing to it. The difference between rolling a 12 and a 14 isn't worth the added complexity in the power.

Grimm Giants
Cool name. Brute Squad is kinda awkward synergy, as is Size Matters. Kill Streak is cool, but I fail to see how it relates to the name.

Giants of Eberron
This is a crapload of text. Luckily, it's pretty cohesive once you read it once. I might drop the roll on the first power. Also, Eberron is a big place. It seems weird that these would be significant enough to earn the whole moniker.

Giants of Barrenspur
I like one-power cards. These guys unfortunately feel like Unique Minions of Utgar.

Giant Gruts
It's a stretch in my opinion to call these guys Grut Orcs. If you put that aside, though, I think this is a good card.

Fi, Fo, and Fum
Ha. I thought of the "No Fees" ad too. There's a bit of a memory mechanic in Dumb & Numb, but other than that it's very similar to Giant Resilience on the Hill Goliaths. In fact, lots of these cards have Tough or something similar. Rage & React seems super powerful, but these guys are expensive, so maybe it works.

Dead Mountain Ogres
Powers that deal with Rock spaces or similar always put me off a bit. Many maps have one start zone rock and the other sand. This screws that system up entirely. Dwarf Toss is cool, although it could lead to long turns if you're facing dwarves, and it's weird to call out dwarves when it works on other small figures too.

Blackened Teeth
@Soundwarp SG-1 Generals! I don't love "marker on the base" mechanics, but this is a well-done implementation of them. Blackened Teeth is a super cool name as well.
Old October 1st, 2018, 09:54 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

The San Fransisco Giants on a baseball card instead of a Heroscape card is pretty amusing.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 08:06 PM
On vacation...

As promised, here is my totally impartial criticism of each entry (and I'll try not to give away who did each one, even though in all honesty I can only pair a couple of them to their creator without looking it up. For example, I honestly have forgotten which one superfrog did, and his post didn't even tip me off).

So, now to start this colossal task.

San Francisco Giants
Obviously, this is the most entertaining card. I could see throwing a vote at it purely for that reason. As far as real critiques, I think this is a pretty neat card for baseball players, but they don't seem like giants to me. Attack and defense 3 is pretty wimpy. Home Run is a lot of fun, and Pinch Hitters could be helpful in a pinch (while your positioning Rats or something).
Overall, these guys get a 10/10 for fun, but a fair bit lower score for playability.

Ogre Clubbers
First, I have to say that the artwork on this card is abysmal. Whoever did this should uninstall Gimp and leave it up to me from now on. In all seriousness, the humor is good on this card (maybe not quite San Fran funny, but definitely makes you smile) and a lot of the ideas here are good but there are a lot of problems with them. Mob Attack seems a little crazy with 5 attack. Late Clubbing is also very powerful with 5 attack, especially with no limit to the number of extra attacks this can give you. Club Sandwich is a neat workaround to make these guys less flimsy with only 3 defense, but is thematically odd and, again, doesn't really have a limit as to how many Ogres can be resurrected every round (you could say the limit is 9, but you could get more than that with leaving engagement attacks, but also that would probably never happen and I should probably stop rambling).
Overall, this card is full of good ideas that would be great with a little polish.

Ogre Brutes
Again, this artwork is terrible. It's almost like the same fool that did the Clubbers copy and pasted the pictures over here. What kind of a bum would do that? Anyway, back to the review here. These guys are neat, but I have to agree that bonding on a unique squad is weird. Not bad, but definitely makes you **** your eyebrow. They feel, to me, like a 100 points to buff Jotun (or the Ice Giant, since they follow Utgar?). Bigger Than You is really powerful, especially with Giant's Fortitude keeping them around a little bit. Their speed puts them in check a little bit, but I can still see these guys taking out somebody like Sergeant Drake in one turn. I'm not sure, in their current state, if they are consistent enough to price properly (although, neither are a lot of figures, so that's probably not a real gripe).
Overall, I think the idea of a unique squad to boost a giant has grown on me. At the same time, I think either these guys' attack should be weakened (probably just weaken Bigger Than You), or their defense should be weakened (or brought up to 4 and take away Giant's Fortitude, or make it only activate when they are adjacent to a Giant, or something).
Also, if you are wondering if they are giants or ogres, you should read the bio.

Mountain Giants
I'm gonna stop riffing on the ones that have this artwork. I think you got the joke, and that it wasn't that good to begin with. As far as this one goes, I don't think I have much to say. Giant Tough is quite literally Warforged Resolve with less text, which is pretty powerful with 4 defense but that's reasonable with the price and the fact that their unique. Knockback 15 is neat, and I appreciate taking an official power with a number on the end and changing it.
Overall, these guys are fine, but also don't have anything that makes them stand out. If you like a sleek design, I think these guys are a fine candidate (even with the mass of text on the card).

Hill Giants
Another simple entry, like the Mountain Giants. Unlike the Mountain Giants, is everything else. These guys are really heavy hitters for a common squad, but Slow Swings keeps them in check, quite a bit. Clumsy Attackers is, like froggy said, gonna be beneficial most of the time. I would probably recommend requiring at least 1 skull to be rolled with the attack or something. The class and personality choice here is worth noting, I think, as it makes these guys as synergy-less as possible.
Overall, I really like these guys, but that's probably because they remind me of my custom Gnuk the Smasher (who can be found in my customs thread, but I just realized the card itself was lost when SumoPaint decided to dump my images).

I really like Giant Resilience. Giants should be tough, and squads only have one life, and this is probably my favorite work around for that. Unfortunately, these guys are a little too tough (as far as I can see). 5 defense is really hard for some armies to get through, and having to do that twice per turn could prove unachievable. Deadly Strike is neat on these guys, and I like that they have one power to make their attacks feel giant and one power to make them as tough as giants should be.
Overall, I think these guys are close to being what they should be but I'm worried that they are a bit too tough.

Hill Giant Brute Squad
First, putting squad at the end of their name makes me think of these guys as some sort of giant superhero team. Their stats continue to give that superhero feeling. As the frog stated, Defensive Smash is devastating with 7 defense. Put these guys up on a hill and you win.* Rampage 14 is really neat on a unique squad with attack 5, but I have to agree with the frog that the buff you get from dead giants seems weak.
Overall, I agree with superfrog on basically everything regarding these guys. Also, the creator has informed me that Rampage 14 does not activate from leaving engagement attacks, so you know.

Grimm Giants
Ugh, back to the hideous artwork. Come on guys, copy and pasting cards is not cool. Get some initiative. Brute Squad is neat, in that keeping them together gets you two thirds of the potential boost, so you really just have to take every couple of turns with Gurei-Oni to get the boost. Size Matters makes me happy, and even though it's pretty situational I think it's a good addition to the card. Kill Streak is cool (and personally I think that the name makes sense); I could worry about not having a limit on the number of markers that can be on the card, but only adding to it once per turn should be balanced, especially since these guys only have attack 3.
Overall, I like the powers on these guys a lot. Their stats are so standard I wished they had more going on at first, but after looking them over more I think that's fine. Move 5 is gonna be pretty restricting since they are double spaced, though (if this entry is double spaced).

Giants of Eberron
Deadlaunch Special Attack is really interesting. Also, I really like Tough on these guys. I have one problem with Deadlaunch, however, and that is that I don’t like how much of an Deathwalker killer it is. You could change the unblockable wound part to prevent small and medium figures from rolling defense against it, perhaps. I think one problem these guys are going to face is that they won’t get to use Deadlaunch more than a couple of times since even with Tough they could still die really fast, but that’s probably okay with 5 attack and an unblockable special attack. One more bit of weirdness, but one that I think is fine, is that one giant can destroy a figure and then another giant can throw it on that same turn (even if he is across the map from the one who “picked up” the figure). Like I said, I think this is fine in practicality, but is a little weird.
Overall I think this is a strong entry, although I definitely think Deadlaunch could be reworked a bit.

Giants of Barrenspur
This is such a crisp entry. It may be a little lackluster, but I think it makes up for it in goodness. Their base stats feel very good. The theme is really good, and Last of the Giants is really neat (and I have to point out that when you have 2 giants is when you get the most attacks, which is kinda weird but pretty neat).
Overall, this entry is definitely the most basic, so it is easy to hate on it for that. On the other hand, this entry would (as far as I can tell) be a lot of fun on the battlefield.

Giant Gruts
I must agree that these guys seem odd as Grut Orcs (but you could always paint them blue instead ). I do like that they exchanged disengaged with Swinging Mace, which can kind of work like disengage. I’m curious as to what the point value for this card actually should be, though. 5 attack is crazy, but is not ridiculous considering there are only 3 of those per turn.
Overall, this is definitely a solid entry. My biggest qualm with it is pricing, which should show how much I like it.

Fi, Fo, and Fum
These base stats good feeling, once you read Dumb & Numb. Slow & Steady is neat, and while I thought it should take a d20 roll at first I realize that the points probably make up for it not, and the Warforged Soldiers also don’t take a d20 roll, so who am I to judge. Rage & React is neat, but makes these guys really scary (especially since they are already brutally offensive). Perhaps as a reaction to the fact the Slow & Steady always works, I think I would prefer Rage & React 14 or 15.
Overall, these guys feel like a trio of heroes, which is kinda what I was envisioning with a squad of giants.

Dead Mountain Ogres
The amount that these guys are situational is probably made up for by the fun that is Dwarf Toss. I can see a beautiful thematic game with them going against Mok, and Mok mocking them for how puny they are the whole time. That said, I do have a couple gripes with this card. First, the art is terrible. Second (or first, in all reality), Mountain Strength is awkward, and the range bonus is weird to me (I understand they are throwing stones, but I don’t think they should throw rocks as hard as they bash you with their clubs, or at least it should be easier to dodge the stones so the attack should still be less, but if you put all that on the card it would be way to much text).
Overall, I like these guys, but I wish Mountain Strength was a different power.

Blackened Teeth
This is definitely one of the most interesting cards here. The wound markers on the base mechanic is off putting, until you look at how much spare room these guys have on their base. That said, I think that (if we are going with defense 0) each wound marker should block all damage. Really Dat Tuff might make up for that fact, in all reality though. I’m guessing that these guys are (most of the time) going to either do tons of damage, or destroy only a couple of figures.
Overall, I really want to like these guys, and a really do like them, but I don’t think I really like them. All of the ideas on this card are good, but I worry that they will be awkwardly inconsistent (but HeroScape is all about inconsistency, so that’s probably a bad way to judge things).

There you go, folks. Dr.G’s totally unbiased appraisals of each entry. I tried to be a bit nit-picky on all of them, so hopefully you’re not upset about whatever flaws I found in yours. Hopefully I found good things about them all, too, I dunno. Good luck, everybody! May the best tall thing win!

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old October 3rd, 2018, 10:20 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Here are some more thoughts on each entry:

San Francisco Giants
As someone who has very little interest in Baseball, I have to admit that little of this card appeals to me. I didn't even get the Baseball card format until it was mentioned here. I'm definitely not the target demographic for this one.

Large also feels slightly off to me. I know that it was mentioned as the size in the prompt, but the idea of Sir Denrick not getting his "Giant Killer" bonus against giants irks me. That's a really minor complaint (and one that of course applies to many more entries), though.

Ogre Clubbers
This card made my eyes pop more than once at its sheer power. The constant stream of puns are appreciated, but being able to constantly revive figures with kills is extremely strong with 5 attack, even with 3 defense. Add in the ability to attack with all of the Clubbers at the end of every round, and I feel like these guys would be nigh unstoppable in a normal game.

Ogre Brutes
Bonding with a Unique Squad feels a little weird, especially when it's ogres bonding with any Giant hero. Most other bonding powers have a clearer connection, whether it's relentless figures or specific champions, but I'm not seeing a clear link between these ogres and any giants. 7 Attack against most figures is also really strong, as I'm sure has been mentioned already.

I'm also not a fan of Wild for a Giant squad because it's close to the requirements for C3V's Dreadguls, but to be fair, VC is not something that designers are required to take into mind.

Mountain Gaints
This design seems rather straightforward. I'm a little concerned about the synergy with Zogross Hardscale (since with an auto-shield and 4 defense, these guys are pretty tanky), but the Order Marker headache might help combat that.

It's interesting that these guys only have 3 attack. While you could argue that most of the force of the attack is represented by Knockback, it might feel a little bit better if the base attack was increased proportionately.

Hill Giants
It's interesting how many people made a 100-point squad. There's nothing wrong with it of course, I just find the coincidence to be amusing. As for this unit, Slow Swings 6 is a thematic interpretation, but I feel like it'd also slow down the game to have to roll before every attack. I'd personally prefer to see a reuse of Pel the Hill Giant's Heavy Axe: it conveys the same theme, but is much simpler and easier to deal with.

Clumsy Attackers is interesting, but I think that it might be even better if you could choose the attacking Hill Giant. It reminds me of the Ogre Pulverizer giving opponents engagement strike, but only slightly less harsh and able to be spun off into a positive power for the Hill Giant with careful positioning.

Giant Resilience feels off to me. At first I was wondering why it wasn't simply an automatic shield, and then I realized that it only works once per turn. Why does one giant being resilient suddenly make the other giants less resilient? I know that adding more limitation/clarifications would complicate the power, but I think that it could use some refinement.

Hill Giant Brute Squad
Rampage is an interesting take on Frenzy, but I worry about its implications on a figure with 5 attack and 7 defense and with significantly better odds. With 6 move they also aren't terribly slow, so I can't help but feel like 130 points is too low. Maybe my theoryscaping is just off.

Counterstrike also doesn't gel well with the theme of wild giants to me. When I think of being able to "attack" outside of a figure's turn, I think of trained warriors quickly taking advantage of a weakness, not a giant smashing something with a club. The way that it's worded, I believe that it would also trigger Rampage again on opponent's turns, which I'm not a fan of at all.

Grimm Giants
I think that Brute Squad could be cut out and the base attack could be raised without sacrificing too much of the design. That kind of power works fine for Sir Dupuis because he's a single hero, but I wouldn't want to count how many Giants/Ogres are within 2 spaces before every attack with these guys.

I'm not seeing the theme with Kill Streak and trophies ignoring wounds. If anything, I would expect it to increase their attack (or maybe their defense) as they get more kills. Size Matters' theme similarly seems a little weird to me and more like it is there solely for the sake of gameplay.

Giants of Eberron
I'm a little concerned by that Special Attack being able to ignore defense for any size of figure, since that was always avoided in the past so that Deathwalkers and whatnot stood a chance. Still, getting into position to get those kills on a Unique Squad with 2 defense (and Tough, admittedly) seems like it'll be pretty difficult, so it's probably not a big problem in practice. Plus, the theme is almost immediately recognizable, which is a plus in my book.

Giants of Barrenspur
I really like this one. The single power keeps things simple and straightforward, and although the stats seem like they might be a little high for 110 points (they seem like they could be stronger than the Tagawa Samurai to me), I think that the direction on this unit is really strong. The price is probably the only thing that I would change here.

Giant Gruts
I think that calling these guys Orcs is a bit of a stretch, honestly. The design idea could still work, but I'm not convinced that these miniatures are the right fit. Swinging Mace is an interesting combination of Trampling Stomp and Throw, but I'm not sure about combining it with heroes like Grimnak and Tornak, either, or how much it really fits the theme of the orcs.

Fi, Fo, and Fum
Naming each member of the squad is a neat touch, but it leads to some confusing wording problems in the powers. For example, I believe that Slow & Steady says that each figure in the squad may use it once per turn, but then Dumb & Numb only works once per turn for the entire squad. The entire card would probably be more immediately readable with a simpler name.

Dead Mountain Ogres
4/4 stats, an improved version of Throw, and range (plus 5/5 stats) on a common terrain type seem very powerful to me for an 80 point common squad. I don't really have any major issues with the theme itself, but I'm inclined to believe that it would easily be upwards of 100 points based on the stats and Throw alone.

Blackened Teeth
By far the worst part of playing AotP to me was having to put markers on figures' bases. Lifting them up to carefully line up the small cubes, only for them to fall off the next turn when I moved the figures, was a huge headache. I would much prefer to just see markers placed on the card like is the norm for HeroScape units, but I could see potential power concerns with that method essentially granting extra lives to the entire squad every turn.

That said, these guys give a great reason to use the Ashigaru Yari. For the low price of 40 points, you can fill up their markers and get them enough lives to actually make it to an opponent!

I think that all of these designs had some really interesting qualities to them! Thanks to everyone who participated in developing a unit!
Old October 5th, 2018, 05:40 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

As usual, my entry gets no respect . . .

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards