Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

View Poll Results: Choose the Top 3 Man-Eaters.
Jungle Beast 1 3.70%
Romitaen'c 1 3.70%
Manticore (Relentless Aquillan Predator) 1 3.70%
Manticore (Einarian Predator) 2 7.41%
Ol' Scratch 1 3.70%
Manticore (Utgarian Beast) 1 3.70%
Manticore (Valkrillian Marauder 2 7.41%
Akul 3 11.11%
Manticore (Utgarian Devourer) 0 0%
Crimson Manticore 6 22.22%
Tarkus 7 25.93%
Manticore (Aquillan Beast) 0 0%
Madyakhor 1 3.70%
Manticore (Valkrillian Predator) 0 0%
Manticore (Ferocious Aquillan Predator) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 21st, 2017, 09:52 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: December Custom Contest Poll - Vote by Next Year!

Haha, don't worry, I don't feel to bad about letting the "wrong" entries into the entries into the finals, though I do generally think that having a second would be beneficial.

Additionally, feel free to post whatever comments you want to while the poll is still active, as long as you leave your own entry anonymous in the post. Just be careful not to grovel over yours too much.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 21st, 2017, 10:03 PM

WarBeast knows what's in an order marker WarBeast knows what's in an order marker

Based on the 19 entries, I added up the stats to see what the average Manticore was created as.....
PTS: 124
MOVE: 4.7
RANGE: 1 (17/19 had a 1 range)
ATTACK: 4.0
DEFENSE: 3.68
SIZE: Large 5.9

Faction: Valkrill 6/19, Aquilla 5/19
Hero: Unique 10/19, Uncommon 9/19
Type: Beast (7/19), Predator (5/19)
Personality: Ferocious (9/19)

Most common ability: Ranged spiked tail (13/19 refer to this one way or another)

I’m entered but these were my faves from others (none are mine btw)
My personal favorite name: Akul
My favorite bio: Manticore 100pts Valkrill with Synergies added. nice.
My favorite ability: Spiked Tail Defense.
Old December 21st, 2017, 10:37 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Neat statistics to see, though I must beg to differ on the most common ability...
Spoiler Alert!

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 22nd, 2017, 09:54 AM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
I'd comment further but I have a stake in the game this time around. Maybe I'll find some time to do so after voting is complete.
Here’s hoping! I’m curious what a customs veteran has to say, in more detail.
I concur. Hopefully you @Scytale wouldn't mind providing us with some feedback on our submissions (runners up too!).
Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:42 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

@Dr.Goomonkey , I see you have listed the synergies for each unit, but you've missed that Akul and Ol' Scratch, as Large Wild figures, also bond with the Death Chasers of Thesk.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old December 22nd, 2017, 01:04 PM
On vacation...

Oh thanks! I thought something was awry there, but then checked the Death Knights of Valkrill.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:26 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Great entries!

Old December 23rd, 2017, 03:23 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I neglected to enter this time around, although I designed a unit. So, because I'm impartial, and because there are so many entries that it will be helpful to have notes on them, I'll go ahead and post some thoughts on these designs for funsies.

A situationally better Wyvern for the Spiders to play with. Although with Talon Grab, Wyverns are already pretty situational, and Jungle Beast seems better on average. I don't like that he would potentially overshadow that bonding option for the Spiders. Also with "Beast" in his name that would usually mean he should be a Beast instead of a Predator. But it does have a couple cool powers and seems balanced enough.

This guy would need a bit of clean up on wording to make sure that TBFSA requires removal of a Tail Barb marker to attack. As is, it seems like you could technically use it even if you don't have markers. It could also be more specific to say if you remove markers after each individual attack, or after the attack sequence. It also doesn't seem thematic to regrow barbs through killing figures, though I'm not a pro with Manticore lore. But I feel like it may be better if they came back after taking a turn where he doesn't make a Special Attack. But I do like the theme and mechanics overall, and it seems like a cool figure to play with. Seems balanced too. I'd try him.

Having the tail spikes be an AoE attack is an interesting take that I like. I also like the poisonous aspect of it. The usefulness is mitigated somewhat due to it being more useful against Heroes and Heroes having an easy time of spreading out. This Manticore will also have a hard time standing out among the other 120 point heroes. It does bond with Spiders and Death Knights, though, and is particularly potent with Death Knights, giving them a needed ranged Special Attack that's good against squads. Overall cool, but due to its preferred army being Death Knights, I think it would have been better as Valkrill. I believe Manticores are typically evil anyway.

Solid stats. Solid power. A simple cohesive design. Another bonding option for Spiders, and I think this one also has potential to overshadow the Wyvern, which would be my main concern. My other smaller concern is that it seems a little too bland with not much unique to add to the game. However, there are plenty of just solid figures in the game, and this one seems like one worth trying.

I like Unearthly Voice, and it looks like a power that would combo well with the two Orc squads he bonds with. Double Attack seems a little bland in contrast, but it's a solid simple power to add a bit of theme without text, so it works. 4 Attack spikes seems high though. Definitely a strong figure worth his high point value that I'd be interested in giving a whirl.

A D20 option for the tail spikes is a neat approach. It also makes it fairly versatile since it can use the power even if its engaged. One thing that does keep sticking out to me with all of these Beast contestants (not just this one) is that Arrow Gruts already have a ton of bonding options, so it will already be easy to get lost in the crowd. The versatility of this one makes it attractive, and it seems solid, but you can always choose Krug for 10 points more.

I like the Legendary Creature power since it appeared on Asterios, and the reuse here is fun. Having Spike-Tail Shot be a defensive power is a cool and unique take that I like, although being able to choose one other figure to hit seems strong. I would have required it to be adjacent to the attacking figure, personally, for flavor and balance reasons. Almost seems dangerously tanky, but playing around the threat range of STS should mitigate that.

Another Wild Beast for the benefit of both Arrow Gruts and Death Chasers. Reuse of Legendary Creature is fun again. I'm not sure on the thematic accuracy of Consume, as regenerating after killing figures doesn't seem like something they would do, but like I've said, I'm by no means a manticore expert. My main concern, though, is Tail Spikes Special Attack. Even with the low attack values, the double AoE attacks is strong, especially on a figure with such solid bonding options. He's already better than Othkurik for 10 fewer points. Neat concept overall, but personally I'd like some reworking on it before I used it in play.

Manticore

Having two Special Attacks, especially ones so wordy, is kind of a turn off. Ferocious Jump is cool, but doesn't seem to be necessary to the design, especially when its risky enough that I'd rather just get in two attacks with the normal attack followed by Poison Spires. The idea behind the design is cool, but I do think the execution here could be better.

That's all for tonight. I'll try to get the rest tomorrow, though more likely the day after. Then I'll be able to cast my vote.

EDIT: Here are the rest:

Seems a little underpowered - I think it would be better at 80-ish points. But I do like Devourer for the class (I like the other cards that use Devourer as well - I haven’t been saying it, but it’s a cool different class that doesn’t just give it bonding). I like Predator of Men as a power. I’m not sure how thematic it is for a Manticore, since I don’t know much about them, but it’s cool in concept (maybe a little too restrictive in practice). Quill Riposte is another neat defensive power for the tail.

Good theme, solid execution, simple powers, seems like a good design overall. This one also stands out to me among the other Beast options for Arrow Gruts to me as well. There is one small corner case that seems a little strange with the interaction between Terrifying Presence and the Fearless Advantage of the Axegrinders, since it seems they wouldn’t let him get away easily, but that’s not hard for me to look past (after all, there are weirder interactions in the game).

Decent as a Beast Special Attacker for Arrow Gruts, but it’s weird to me to have a lob ability on Quill Volley SA. Devour Whole also has weird thematic interactions when you consider figures destroyed by Grimnak’s Chomp or Ashi-Dhulu’s Devour From Beneath, among others.

I like Venomous Quill SA. This is another neat, tight design. At first glance I feel like the points might be just a touch high, but that’s difficult to tell without playing with him. Not much more to say here; he’s simple, but that’s good.

Having a Unique Hero just called “Manticore” is odd - usually there’s at least some kind of title like with Venoc Warlord or Quorik Warwitch. It’s also odd that Poisonous Quills doesn’t work on Wulsinu - they carry a plague, not poison, and other poison attacks work on them. Feast on flesh is another power specific to humans that I’m not sure of the thematic accuracy, but I could get behind it.

Man-Eater is cool. I also like Spiked Tail Defense as another defensive version of the tail power. However, the Poison Damage seems a little excessive for what maybe should be a more simple power. There’s also the thematic issue of it being able to shoot a spike 10 spaces when defending against Deadeye Dan. And I’m not sure that I buy that high speed on a Manticore, but as a design it seems fun to play with Spiders.

Runners Up:

Probably one of my favorite names, especially since it helps explain the Man Eater power. I like the class of Hunter. I like the idea of Quill Shot, but as it’s currently written, you would just use it every turn since it doesn’t require it to be unengaged or anything so you can always have a double attack. Plus a 4 Attack Quill Shot seems strong thematically.

One of my favorite designs overall theme-wise - top 3 for sure. I like having it be a Guard as that’s unique and fits well as an Einar design, and the name is cool. It’s a smaller but more defensive Nilfheim which is cool for its design. I do think 120 is too low for it though. It should probably be closer to 150 IMO.

Good design, though I think the attack of the Special should be lowered by one for theme - I just don’t see the tail being that strong personally (but that could be a part of Manticore lore that I’m unaware of). I like Frightening Roar too. He’s another cool option for Arrow Gruts, though honestly probably still gets overshadowed by Krug at that point range.

I like the overall cohesiveness of the design and simplicity with which it’s executed. I also really like the Maneater power as a Special Attack. He’s really strong with Arrow Gruts and maybe should have a point boost. His ranged versatility makes him an interesting contrast to Krug.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; December 27th, 2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Great designs overall in this competition - Well done all!
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:30 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Man, I almost missed this! I'll get on with my vote and thoughts on all the entries before the poll closes!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:40 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

In order of appearance...

Jungle Beast: Not really sure "Manticore" and "Jungle Beast" go together for me. The generic name is forgivable for a Unique considering we have the Venoc Warlord, but it is a bit strange its class is Predator and not Beast. Predator of course lets it bond with Spiders, but then look at its points, stats, and powers... it's kinda just another Wyvern.

Romitaen'c: I get that the name is a play on "Manticore" like Sudema and Medusa, but it feels pretty clumsy in the mouth. "Marauder" is a nice class to avoid synergies when that's what you're aiming for. Might list Tail Barb Growth as the first power, so you know where Tail Barb Flick SA gets its markers the first time you read it, but that could be more personal preference/minor nitpick. I do always appreciate special attacks that also make sure the normal attack is relevant.

Manticore: Again fighting with the Wyvern a little bit for space here, but I think this Predator does a much better job. It has a different price point and fills a different role, multi-attacker instead of hero assassin (though obviously the bonus damage from the SA is good against heroes and not squads). As a Relentless figure, a couple of these (I'm equally happy with Uncommon and Unique entries) could be interesting with Death Knights, too. Overall, a solid and relatively simple package.

Manticore: Another Manticore, another Predator. This one doesn't interest me much for some reason. The SA following a normal attack can be very powerful with both at 5 dice, but I guess it just doesn't seem to be doing anything thematic.

Ol' Scratch: This guy is a powerhouse, with bonding to boot! He's durable, has a powerful attack with Range and Double Attack, and Unearthly Voice can really mess up the opponent's day. He'd be strong within any of his synergistic armies, but 190 points does seem like it's near the mark if not on it. Definitely stands out as a unique take.

Manticore: This is definitely a nice new addition to the Arrow Grut Beast arsenal (along with Scratch). Two of these, three Arrows, three Swogs, and Raelin comes in at a cool 495. Simple design, too, so overall a good entry.

Manticore: Another Marauder standing on its own with no synergy Interesting that most of these entries, bonding or not, tend to fall in the same ballpark of points. I think I would've liked Spike-Tail Shot better if the additional figure had to be adjacent to the attacker, but that's a minor theme concern not a power level one. Legendary Creature is well re-used here, though maybe better suited to Unique Heroes. Another well-rounded, relatively simple entry.

Akul: Double-dipping the synergies again (nothing wrong with that, these work for me with or without synergies). There is way too much going on with Tail Spikes. Choosing extra figures is fine, but they should probably just be affected by one roll, especially since you can attack a second time. And roll one fewer die. And roll all those attacks separately, too. 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2... that's just a lot going on, on top of 3 other powers. Consume is fine, see previous comment about keeping normal attacks relevant. See also opinion on Legendary Creature. There's nothing else terribly wrong with this design, but that SA is a mess.

Manticore: Devourer is an interesting choice, since it has synergy, but both that and the Utgar synergy are pretty soft. I like it as a different, middle-ground kind of take. Ferocious Jump seems out of place... It flies, so why is it jumping? And how often are you expecting to be willing to risk sacrificing a 125 point figure for +1 attack (since it can get 5 dice easily with flying + height)? Poison Spires (Spines maybe?) is pretty reasonable. I do think PSSA needs something else on the card to supplement its relatively weak attack, but I just don't think FJSA is that thing.

Crimson Manticore: Stats seem very weak overall at 100 points. Predator of Men is wordy, but thematic all the way through. Quill Riposte is OK, though I kind of like the Spike-Tail Shot ranged-d20-counter-strike variant better, since melee tends to need to be punished less.

Tarkus: Not a fan of the no-defense PQVSA. Poor Deathwalkers just get knocked over by this guy. At least it doesn't allow attacking the same figure more than once. Terrifying Presence seems to be a relatively lackluster power given the name, too. Decent design overall, just missing the mark by a bit on both (non-flying) powers.

Manticore: I would like Quill Volley a lot better without the Lob/overhang stuff. Just feels needlessly complicated and not thematically necessary, either. Devour Whole is an interesting take on the theme of eating stuff, though I think I prefer the wound-healing versions better. Flying should also always be listed last among powers.

Madyakhor: Venomous Quill is a better way to remove defense, IMO, than Tarkus' SA, especially because this is proportionally better against high-defense, low-life figures when it triggers while being reasonable against everything else when it doesn't. Since that's the only thing special about this design, though, it's kinda bland overall.

Manticore: The Wulsinu callout seems strange. I feel like there may be a better way to write this effect, as well, since he effectively just has 4 range except in very limited situations. Feast on Flesh is fine. I think it does an OK job of being a 100 point figure, just nothing terribly exciting to me.

Manticore: Man-Eater is fine, Spiked Tail Defense gets the range and poison themes in there. 135 points might be a little high. Pretty good overall.

Spoiler Alert!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 31st, 2017, 02:14 PM
On vacation...

Re: December Custom Contest Poll - CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DE

Another contest has come and gone, just as the year is about to (or already has, if you live in some crazy place like Australia). Tarkus pulled ahead, which means...

CONGRATULATIONS TO @The Dewk

Don't hold your breath for your prize to show up in the mail.

(Since this is the prize and you would have to print it out and mail it to yourself for that to happen, by which time you would probably not be able to pick it up if you had been holding your breath that whole time.)

Honorable mention to @DewNoHarm for the Crimson Manticore.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 31st, 2017, 02:55 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: December Custom Contest Poll - CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DE

Congrats Dewk!!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards