Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old September 14th, 2018, 10:16 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: Help With Wurdz

I like where those abilities are going.
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ok, here we go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
THROWN ENEMY
When Skrymir attacks an adjacent figure, you may choose one Squad figure that is within 6 clear sight spaces of Skrymir. If the defending figure is destroyed by Skrymir’s attack, the chosen figure receives one wound.
First of all, I love this power so much. I'm assuming that Skrymir has a Range of 1, yes? And the idea here is that he's thrown an adjacent enemy at another enemy within 6? That's awesome. I think you can clean up the language and the theme simultaneously:
When Skrymir attacks an adjacent figure and it is destroyed by Skrymir's attack, you may choose an opponent's figure within four clear sight spaces of Skrymir. The chosen figure receives one wound.

I tried to organize things more logically. Also, I shortened the range to 4, because that's still pretty far to throw a body. But keep it at 6 if you want.

Quote:
PROTECT THE LITTLE ONES!
Once per turn, when a small or medium figure adjacent to Skrymir would be destroyed by a normal or special attack, you may ignore any wounds that figure received and place the defending figure on any empty space adjacent to Skrymir. After using Protect the Little Ones!, Skrymir receives a wound. Figures moved by Protect the Little Ones do not take any leaving engagement attacks.
I'm not touching this one, except to make sure that it's ok that sometimes the Little One does not actually move from one space to another. Sometimes it just stays where it is. That's intended, correct?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 15th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Ok, here we go:
Quote:
THROWN ENEMY
When Skrymir attacks an adjacent figure, you may choose one Squad figure that is within 6 clear sight spaces of Skrymir. If the defending figure is destroyed by Skrymir’s attack, the chosen figure receives one wound.
First of all, I love this power so much. I'm assuming that Skrymir has a Range of 1, yes? And the idea here is that he's thrown an adjacent enemy at another enemy within 6? That's awesome. I think you can clean up the language and the theme simultaneously:
When Skrymir attacks an adjacent figure and it is destroyed by Skrymir's attack, you may choose an opponent's figure within four clear sight spaces of Skrymir. The chosen figure receives one wound.

I tried to organize things more logically. Also, I shortened the range to 4, because that's still pretty far to throw a body. But keep it at 6 if you want.
Skrymir does have a Range of 1, and the idea is indeed that he throws an adjacent enemy at another figure. The original text was a revised version of Tandros Kreel's Cleave, but I like your version much better- and I can always turn the dial on the exact number of spaces in testing. 6 is probably high anyway, since even Jotun only throws figures 4 spaces, and Skrymir probably won't be as tall as Jotun. I guess you could argue that the newer version is more punishing to Deathwalkers, but then again, the Zettian Infanty and their Circuitry Replacement power exist for a reason.

Quote:
Quote:
PROTECT THE LITTLE ONES!
Once per turn, when a small or medium figure adjacent to Skrymir would be destroyed by a normal or special attack, you may ignore any wounds that figure received and place the defending figure on any empty space adjacent to Skrymir. After using Protect the Little Ones!, Skrymir receives a wound. Figures moved by Protect the Little Ones do not take any leaving engagement attacks.
I'm not touching this one, except to make sure that it's ok that sometimes the Little One does not actually move from one space to another. Sometimes it just stays where it is. That's intended, correct?
That's exactly what I was going for- Skrymir doesn't have to move a Little One to protect it, it's just an option to take them out of danger (or for the dastardly player, moving them to higher ground). It's just occurred to me that Glyphs could interfere with "empty space(s)" right? So if I wanted it to be possible to put a small or medium figure on a Glyph next to Skrymir, I should use "unoccupied space?"
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Occupied or unoccupied is up to you. As for the Deathwalkers, my own feeling is that if an occasional unit is some how an incredibly poor matchup for them, that's ok.

There is an alternative, though:

Thrown Enemy Special Attack
Range 4. Attack 3.
If Skrymir attacks an opponent's small or medium figure with his normal attack and that figure is destroyed, Skrymir may immediately use Thrown Enemy Special Attack.

The use of "immediately" presents issues, and the combining of a normal and a special attack on the same turn might be novel, but something like this gives the opponent a chance to roll defense dice. Here's another alternative, which may cut down on the weirdness:

Thrown Enemy
If Skrymir attacks an opponent's small or medium figure with his normal attack and that figure is destroyed, Skrymir may add 3 to his Range and attack a second time.

Note that I added the size limitation. Take it or leave it, as you please. This second version gives you the same attack value, whatever it is. As long as it isn't greater than 4, then I don't think it presents a thematic problem. And if it is greater than 4, then you can tweak the value in the Thrown Enemy text ("may add 3 to his Range, reduce his Attack by 1, and attack a second time").

= =
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:55 PM

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

I already considered a special attack (although your wording is more concise than what I sketched out), and ultimately decided that an auto-wound was cleaner in-game. As for size limitations, that's more of a thematic conversation than a wording or rules issue (I hope)- while it'll be far less common that he kills a dragon and lobs it into a crowd of Squad figures (the other way around is a lot easier to set up, pummeling a dragon with its own screen) I'd still like it to happen every once in a while.

Thanks for all the help, D_S. Hopefully this works as well on the board as on paper.
Old September 15th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Right, right. I know I went well beyond my purpose here. Please don't feel like you owe any kind of explanation for rejecting my alternatives. I'm glad to help, however I can. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

= =
Old September 15th, 2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Right, right. I know I went well beyond my purpose here. Please don't feel like you owe any kind of explanation for rejecting my alternatives. I'm glad to help, however I can. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing the finished product.
I didn't feel like I owed an explanation- I just felt like giving one. Writing it down is as much a means to explaining my choices for myself as for whoever I'm talking to. I've found it helps me think. Since I can't rep you right now (I don't spread it around enough, apparently), I'll just note that this thread is a great resource, much like the rest of your contributions to this community.
Old September 15th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Thanks, buddy.

= =
Old March 18th, 2019, 10:26 AM

ThugMisting is surprisingly tart

Help with formal text for my custom pleaserino.
https://i.imgur.com/wc6bedh.jpg
Cade Name: Fayde "Father of the Blade"
Ability: Phantom Slash - When Fade attacks, add 1 hit to whatever is rolled. Additionally, after figures roll defense dice against Fayde's attacks, Fayde may use any unused move this turn.

Ability: Instant Fade - Whenever Fayde is normally attacked or affected by a special power, before rolling defense, Fayde may use Instant Fade , ignoring all wounds and effects and instead may move up to 4 spaces. Fade can Instant Fade only if he ends his fade move not adjacent to an enemy figure. Fayde may use this power only twice per game.

Ability: Phantom Walk - Fayde can pass over all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.
Old March 18th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Thank you for sharing this custom with us, Thug.

There is a strong Heroscape community in Kentucky. I hope you've tracked them down, or maybe you will. @NecroBlade , help me out here.

What I often do in this thread is start by asking a designer if there's an intent to go to the SoV. I try to discourage people, in general, from lightly going that route. It used to be that sharing a custom with us just meant sharing something cool you made. Something we might appreciate. Something clever, fun, whatever.

Nominating a unit to the SoV means saying "this unit belongs in the official canon." That's very different from saying "Look at this cool thing I made, you might like, too." When you are nominating a unit to the SoV, you are asking for tests of (1) whether it interacts seamlessly with every existing unit, and (2) whether it is balanced for competitive play. There is roughly zero chance your creation will survive the nominating process - just the nominating process! - unchanged, because this is a tall order. You will have a boatload of criticism, some of it harsh, some of it constructive, some of it undeserved, and you may no longer reflect with so much pleasure on the design that once brought you joy.

For someone who is not familiar with the 'Scape tournament scene, which is welcoming and friendly but also where you go to learn a lot about strategy, I highly recommend not bothering with the SoV at this time. In case that wasn't clear.

If you just want to share your unit with the world, I'm glad to help you. I love those. If you want to nominate it to the SoV, I'm also glad to help you. I love those, too. But in order for me to be the best help I can be, it would help me to know in advance which direction you want to go in.

I'm not going on and on about this just for you. I'm hopeful that this post might be of some value to future people in your position, too.

= =
Old March 19th, 2019, 02:43 AM

I don't know if my post went through but I'll post again just in case. I would like your help for this card's text please. Is it formal?

https://i.imgur.com/wc6bedh.jpg
Fayde "Father of the Blade"
Ability: Phantom Slash - When Fade attacks, add 1 hit to whatever is rolled. Additionally, after figures roll defense dice against Fayde's attacks, Fayde may use any unused move this turn.

Ability: Instant Fade - Whenever Fayde is normally attacked or affected by a special power, before rolling defense, Fayde may use Instant Fade , ignoring all wounds and effects and instead may move up to 4 spaces. Fade can Instant Fade only if he ends his fade move not adjacent to an enemy figure. Fayde may use this power only twice per game.

Ability: Phantom Walk - Fayde can pass over all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.
Old March 19th, 2019, 02:45 AM

oh it did go through... my bad. don't reply to this! DX

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards