Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old November 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Evolution and Creation

n/a

Last edited by ABOMINATION; March 12th, 2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I was a moron back in 2008. Please disregard my dumb opinions in this thread.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
Re: Questions About Evolution

1. The Big Bang theory is a theory on how the universe began in one giant explosive moment.

2. The the theory of evolution is a theory on how life went from simple organisms to more complex organisms.

One does not equal the other. Which do you want to discuss? Evolution or the Big Bang theory?

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I'm not sure this has to do with evolution (which is usually regarded as the development of life on Earth) but they're interesting questions nonethless.

If the whole universe is spinning clockwise (with respect to what? I'm not sure that such a statement is possible) it doesn't follow that everything inside the universe has to be as well. Planets and moons were formed long after the big bang and by different processes; there's no reason to expect them to rotate in a particular way based on the big bang. It depends how the planets were formed.

An analogy I like for the big bang and time is direction at the north pole. Just as there is no "north" from the north pole, there is no "before" at the big bang. That's when time started.

Mutt Lo knows what's in an order marker Mutt Lo knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMINATION View Post
One problem is, how do they know this?
They dont, its a theory.

I also cant believe all of that junk even though ive read countless books and studies and talked to many people who believe that idea.

EDIT: Wow 3 responses in 60 seconds, hot topic!
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt Lo View Post
Quote:
They dont, its a theory.

I also cant believe all of that junk even though ive read countless books and studies and talked to many people who believe that idea.

And so it begins, three posts in and one side insults the other. Oh well.

Bannister

Old November 26th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt Lo View Post
Quote:
They dont, its a theory.

And so it begins, three posts in and one side insults the other. Oh well.

Bannister
Dont take it as an insult its just my opinion that some of the stuff is bogus but could very well be 100 percent true. Ive been wrong before and will be many more times.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

n/a

Last edited by ABOMINATION; February 21st, 2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
1. The Big Bang theory is a theory on how the universe began in one giant explosive moment.

2. The the theory of evolution is a theory on how life went from simple organisms to more complex organisms.

One does not equal the other. Which do you want to discuss? Evolution or the Big Bang theory?

Bannister
If it is a theory, why do they talk about it like its a fact? And, I believe that evolution does tie into the Big Bang. They say that the Big Bang happened, and then after millions of years, the earth (which was created by the Big Bang) formed life.
Theory has two very different meanings; conflating these meanings is a popular pastime of those on the side of irrationality. Gravity is a theory. Are you happy to talk about gravity as if it is a fact? It's merely semantics---don't let it distract you from the important questions.

Evolution is a theory (which, as noted, is not to do with the big bang or even the origin of life---it talks about how life has developed since its inception). It is also as much a fact as gravity is. What have you been reading? I'd recommend some of Stephen Jay Gould's collections of essays as excellent material for laymen (as I am): understandable without dumbing down.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
If it is a theory, why do they talk about it like its a fact?
People often forget that because they believe something doesnt make it true.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Bannister
If it is a theory, why do they talk about it like its a fact? And, I believe that evolution does tie into the Big Bang. They say that the Big Bang happened, and then after millions of years, the earth (which was created by the Big Bang) formed life. Also, I'm questioning this stuff because I'm curious.
1. Look up the definition of scientific theory.

2. Either event could have happen with or without the other. If the universe was created in some other fashion then life still could have developed on Earth as shown in the theory of Evolution. Or if life developed by some other fashion, the universe could have still started with the Big Bang.

They are two different things.

Bannister

Old November 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Bannister
If it is a theory, why do they talk about it like its a fact? And, I believe that evolution does tie into the Big Bang. They say that the Big Bang happened, and then after millions of years, the earth (which was created by the Big Bang) formed life.
Theory has two very different meanings; conflating these meanings is a popular pastime of those on the side of irrationality. Gravity is a theory. Are you happy to talk about gravity as if it is a fact? It's merely semantics---don't let it distract you from the important questions.

Evolution is a theory (which, as noted, is not to do with the big bang or even the origin of life---it talks about how life has developed since its inception). It is also as much a fact as gravity is. What have you been reading? I'd recommend some of Stephen Jay Gould's collections of essays as excellent material for laymen (as I am): understandable without dumbing down.
That's where I disagree with your reasoning. We are all happy to talk about gravity as a fact because it has been proven to be a fact. The Theory of Evolution and the Big Bang Theory have not been proven as fact.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM

1. See definition of scientific theory.

2. Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Bannister

PS. I have so been wanting to use that quote.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General