Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old July 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Q10 is he the new Q9?

I hope I'm putting this in the right place and couldn't really find any article like it using search.
I want to touch on Q10. Everybody and their brother seem to be singing the praises of Q9, how he's awesome, you need an effective counter in every army, etc. etc. etc. However I hear nothing of Q10, sure he has less def. dice, and his specials work a little differently, but I feel he's just as good if not better than Q9, for 30 points less.
I had never played with either until last night. We were playing 400 points, general specific, builds. It was my second game of the evening and I was stuck for an idea, so I figured what the heck and grabbed the Q brothers. I have to say Q10 was the man(borg) of the match. He took out more than his points worth and even bailed Q9 out of a jam. Wrist rocket special might not offer the same amount of attacks, or dice as Q9's, but it seemed to be more effective.
I'm not trashing Q9, I just don't see what the big deal is. Maybe against low def. swarm armies he would be good, but for all around tourny type builds, I'd put my money on Q10.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old July 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: Q10 is he the new Q9?

I played Q10 at our recent tourney (though in a less competitive Nakita army--just for fun and b/c the Nakitas get trashed a lot it seemed to me). He is a real effective unit. The flexibility of his attacks (and the range of the Machine Pistol Special) really does give him some strength (his own niche).

I don't think he'll ever be as feared as Q9 b/c of his lower defense. He is flexible and effective (and cheaper), but enough concentrated power and he goes down much quicker than Q9.

He is a blast to play--definitely a viable figure (and the Q brothers together is pretty wicked--add in the Reavers and/or Raelin and I'm not going to want to play against you ...).

Last edited by 1Mmirg; July 12th, 2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: called the Machine Pistol the Wrist Rockets, duh...
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:03 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I like Q10 quite a bit. He has gone down too quickly in a few games but he has killed more then his points worth in enemy figures more often. No matter how good the figure is, you are still a slave to the dice.

As far as Q9 goes, I own him but have not really used him much at all yet. He seems really effective against swarm armies filled with low or no DEF dice figures, but the guys I play most often with don't play those types of armies, so I never use him as a result. Having 3, 3 dice attacks is still pretty good, so I see the value, I just never seem to be able to fit him into an army as I have so many figures to choose from and don't play as often as I would like too. When I want a guy who can make 3 special ranged attacks I go with the Ice Dragon. His sculpt is a lot cooler.
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:05 PM

acdveins Woo who?

I love Q10. I try to stay away from the overplayed figures like Q9, 4th mass, etc. I usually draft Q10 to replace Q9.
He goes down pretty quickly as most people are afraid of what his wrist rockets can do once you get close enough to use it. Unfortunately, he doesn't last long. A couple shots of 4 dice or so can take him out without problem. I think the key to using him is staying at range at using his machine pistol as much as possible. Only switch to wrist rockets when you have no other choice.

...I say kill her off.
Yeah, but you say plenty of things, and how's that work? You're a bicycle!
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Lord_Paul is surprisingly tart

Q10, IMO, is a really good way to kill off low defense squaddies. 4 attacks of 2 will rip through a pack of charging Venocs, for example. I agree with acdveins, if you're forced to use the rockets, Q10's likley to die off shortly after. (unless you're using them on a single enemy hero, in which case, Q10 shines just as well as when he's tearing up squaddies)

Making the world better, one post at a time.
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM

heroscaper314 is surprisingly tart

With higher defense and having 3 attacks of 3 (or some other combination of 9 attack dice...Q10 can get 4 attacks of 2 but so can Q9, plus another attack of 1, even if it does sacrifice 1 range) as opposed to Q10 getting two attacks of 4 (and this with a range of 4 as opposed to 6) I think that Q9 is still a better squad killer than Q10. Of course Q9 costs more, so if you don't have enough points to draft him, Q10 is still quite a formidable foe, even if he does tend to die a bit quickly (but in the meantime your other units aren't being attacked!)
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

Good point Heroscaper314. Q10 is a great offensive unit and has a decent defence but it just does not stand up to multiple attacks, or high attacks when he is engaged. He is the type of unit that has to kill off his enemy before they reach him. Q9 on the other hand is not only a great offensive unit, he has almost impenetrable armour which keeps him alive much longer than Q10 (I also just seem to have more luck with Q9).

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Emoskull9 is surprisingly tart
Post Re: Q10 is he the new Q9?

Q10 is powerful but however does go down to quickly.
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It seems like the designers work very hard to make sure each figure is balanced. From what I can tell, Q9 is one of those figures that is just a little too powerful for his cost. He's just a very good figure, and when you play in a competitive setting the math points to him as a good idea in just about any situation.

And to chime in with everyone else so far... The reason Q10 doesn't get quite as much praise is because he really does go down faster. And all the versatility in the world doesn't matter once the figure is off the board and back on his card.

Old July 13th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I guess what strikes me is that not only does Q9 get more praise, but Kaemon Awa gets more praise as well! Q10 is to Kaemon what Q9 is to Q10 - yet somehow Q10 seems the odd man out. Perhaps we think of 120 points as filler and of 150 as core?

~Aldin, with thoughts unfinished

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM

acdveins Woo who?

Interesting thought, Aldin. Perhaps the point value defines the role within the army. Kaemon Awa is an awesome unit, but Q10 has almost the exact Ability. Q10 only cost 30 points more.

You have just changed my theoryscape forever thank you.

...I say kill her off.
Yeah, but you say plenty of things, and how's that work? You're a bicycle!
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:23 AM

Tribesofwar knows what's in an order marker Tribesofwar knows what's in an order marker

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper314 View Post
Q10 can get 4 attacks of 2 but so can Q9, plus another attack of 1, even if it does sacrifice 1 range) as opposed to Q10 getting two attacks of 4 (and this with a range of 4 as opposed to 6) quote]
I believe that Q9 can only attack at a max of three, 3 times.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles