Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old May 14th, 2019, 10:59 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Jace, Investigator) - Design

Just to sort of sort out my thoughts, I'm going to list some of the ideas for abilities we've had so far and my thoughts.

Neural Hack: I still do like this, but I can understand it being a bit much from a complexity standpoint, especially when combined with another complex power like Brainjack

Brainjack: Love love love this. I don't feel it should require a wound - just copying over Enslave from the Mindflayers would be great in my book. It's thematic for a "neuromancer", it's a cool power, it makes sense for Vydar, and it works when you have a whole set of Uniques. Love this.

Digitize: Still like this but not as much as other things.

Neural Stimulant: I could like this in theory but not if it involves a self-wound. I could see another trigger for +1-2 attack. A d20 roll, a certain # order marker, requiring a certain amount of enemy figures in range, or maybe requiring a certain amount of wounds on him.

While I'd love Neural Hack and Brainjack, I don't know if those two powers work together on a card, especially for what we're aiming for, and because of that if I had to choose one I'd go with Brainjack.
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:05 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

To expand a little, my thoughts with Brainjack requiring a wound were to give the power a somewhat more violating, forceful feel. I also like that it kind of shifts the theme of all of this figure's attacks into a neural/digital space--thematically, every attack he makes is an attempt at brainjacking, whether the defender resists it or dies as a result of the side-effects. In my mind, this was complimented nicely by some sort of cyber or bio-hacking of the self to boost his attack.

I could see a version of Brainjack without the wound requirement, but if we want to call it Brainjack and not Enslave then I feel we need some way to differentiate it. I also understand the concern that being able to throw 6 dice at range might be a little much, even if it's only 4 range and requires taking a wound. I could see dropping defense to 3 to keep that kind of offensive power, or nerfing it to 2 dice. I don't love a boost of only 1, as that doesn't feel quite dramatic enough to warrant taking a wound.
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:07 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Maybe a successful Brainjack puts a wound on the enemy figure?
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:08 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Maybe a successful Brainjack puts a wound on the enemy figure?
Could work, but if you want to lower the required roll any, making the power stronger won't get you there.
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:18 PM

That's true. I think making it opponents only and maybe Medium/Small only might restrict it enoguh?
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:21 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Now that I’ve had more time to think, and compliment AYP on Brainjack (genius!), here’s more.

Hurting oneself for more power is fine by me, I dug it on the Azurite Warlord and I’d like to see it again. I’m not certain that +3 Attack on a Ranged figure is a good idea though. Things like Laglor and the Glyph of Ivor (plus height advantage) can quickly boost this seemingly squishy character into suddenly nuking Nilfheim. A few ways we can still make this work though:

1) Change the attack bonus to a range bonus, or even something like +2 R/+1 A. The flames shoot further, and more ferociously.
2) Only allow the boost vs adjacent targets. 6/7 attack on a melee hero is certainly fine. Jydel just happens to be good at tossing cyberflames too.
3) Cap his life to 3. He can throw super attacks, but he has to make a big sacrifice to do it. He’ll still need to be priced moderately high like Skahen is, but that’s one way to handle it.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:14 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I was going to suggest +2R/+1A for Neural Stimulant as well if we stick with that. I like the alternate idea of making it only work in melee, too. 4 Life might be OK, but 3 seems a bit of an over-correction.

Neural Hack is OK, but we'd have to be OK with using the set's markers on this design. Plus, Negation markers are already a thing twice over, and these markers are different. I like the power, but I'm not sold on it here.

Brainjack seems like the winner. Another candidate for only working in melee (thus not needing the wound restriction)? In fact, is there even a melee version of temporary control yet? If not, I'd like that direction.

I could see some form of the Digitize theme (what comes to mind for me is a Viking-Spirit-like power), but haven't seen the answer there yet. Looks like NS/BJ might be a good enough start to put in the OP and focus discussion.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:17 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

3 Life was if we were going to allow +3 Attack at Range, letting Jace throw up to 7 dice (when height boosted) at range. Like I said, nuking Nilfy is a big deal imo.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:29 AM

I’m still very against NS triggering on a self-wound. It doesn’t make thematic sense to me. This guy strikes me as s reclusive, self-serving, self-preserving anti hero. Not someone reckless.
Old May 16th, 2019, 03:17 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I won't lie and say that I prefer temporary control over negation, but I'm content enough with Brainjack if it does maintain the forceful feeling. I do prefer it at range with the requirement of inflicting a wound as a result.

I really like the combo of Brainjack requiring a wound to have a chance to activate when paired with something like Neural Stimulant. I'd still suggest +2 Move/+1 Attack rather than +2 range, both because it's more versatile and because it requires him to still commit to the attack by getting in close.

Rather than feeling reckless, Neural Stimulant actually feels very calculating to me--the neuromancer is evaluating the chances of his hack succeeding, and if they aren't favorable, he's willing to boost his own stats at a cost. I actually think that it helps the cyberpunk theme, which I often distinguish from cleaner sci-fi by the fact that using this technology does have a cost. Hacking into his own brain for a boost takes a toll on himself, just like hacking into someone else's.
Old May 16th, 2019, 10:40 AM

Very much disagree on a wound being the trigger for either of them. It’s a hill I’ll fight on but not die on. I think a wound on either one doesn’t fit the theme right (to me) and putting s wound requirement on Brainjack just feels mechanically wonky on top of it. I’d much prefer a somewhat-changed Enslave and Stimulant that triggers on something else: like I said earlier, a certain number of wounds on himself, etc.

What I COULD see now that I think about it is choosing to activate Stimulant and then rolling a d20/attack die somewhat like Stinger Drain, with a low but still high enough chance to wound yourself that it’s woeth considering.
Old May 16th, 2019, 11:24 AM
I could go

A reuse of Stinger Drain would be quite thematic, but we may want to tweak the rewards to better fit a hero.

Maybe:

1-5: Wound, maybe lose attack
6-10: +0 Attack
11-15: +1 Attack
16-20: +2 Attack

We can even let 20s grant +3 attack, since a 20 is supposed to feel powerful.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs