Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Harry Potter series?
I love the Harry Potter books! 47 52.22%
I like the Harry Potter books! 19 21.11%
The Harry Potter books are okay. 3 3.33%
I hate the Harry Potter books. 10 11.11%
I have not read enough/any to make a call. 11 12.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Harry Potter

I was so shocked when I found this book didn't have a thread. So, this is the discussion thread for all things magical we muggles want to talk about. Talk about which book was your favorite, if you like Harry Potter or not, the comparisons between the books and movies, the characters, the plot in general, and J. K. Rowling.

I am a huge Harry Potter Fan, and my favorite book is Order of the Phoenix, followed by Half-Blood Prince, then Deathly Hallows. I didn't like the fourth that much, since it deviated from the general storyline of quidditch and school.

Some of my favorite characters beside the trio were Neville, Ginny, Luna, and the twins.

The movies are generally good, and usually have a bit more comedy in them, but stray away from the storyline, more than I'd like.

I'm looking very forward to the last two movies.

I've read each book at least 2 times, most at least 3.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard (released last December) was a very good book.

I'm sorry for being so random, I'm just trying to get some discussion going.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Harry Potter

My favourite books are the same as you execpt I liked the fourth book.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Something must be wrong with your poll. It has more than 2 options and a variety of responses.

I only read book 1 and don't really have interest in reading the rest. It was good, but nowhere near everyone telling me "OMG I was so hooked after just reading the first book!!!1one"

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't like these books. I flipped through one book, and wasn't impressed. Some might say 'read them all and you'll love them' but I've never felt the urge to. I prefer sticking to my Michael Chrichton, Tom Clancy, and Frank Peretti books.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I read 'em. Books 1-3 were a fun youth-fantasy cycle. Everything else kinda sucked. No, that's not fair, books 4-6 were okay, but should have ether been darker or lighter. As it was, they were too dark to have the same feel as books 1-3 and they weren't dark enough to qualify as good stand alone dark fantasy. Book 7 sucked. Pacing was terrible, plot was contrived and resolution was neither interesting nor satisfying.

~Aldin, who feels like Rowling pulled a fast one on her readership

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Einar's_Strategist knows what's in an order marker Einar's_Strategist knows what's in an order marker

Any of you guys re-read through them after the 7th came out? I read a book a day for that series, in order, for a week straight. With the information still fresh in my mind, I saw a lot foreshadowing. My favorite is actually the fifth, because it gives a great show of the Weasly twins genius, and a silly governing group watching the house fall around their paranoid ears.

"The way of War is
A Way of Deception" ~Sun Tzu's Art of War
The guidebook to life...
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:52 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
I only read book 1 and don't really have interest in reading the rest. It was good, but nowhere near everyone telling me "OMG I was so hooked after just reading the first book!!!1one"
I was never hit but the Harry Potter craze and when I borrowed the first book from a friend I wasn't bothered one way or the other. I tried to read the second book but couldn't make it past the first chapter. It just bored me to tears and I didn't feel the magic.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM

Messenger has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Book 7 sucked. Pacing was terrible, plot was contrived and resolution was neither interesting nor satisfying.
Admission #1: I did not read the books; I heard the complete series on Audio CD. But it was the unadulterated version, I heard it all.

Admission #2: I was biased against them. I didn't want to like them. Not because of the whole witch/wicca thing, but because I thought they were 'kids' books.

Conclusion #1: The series is cohesive and needs to be considered as one complete story, much the same way as Star Wars needs all three movies. Even though 'A New Hope' can sorta stand alone, it really is the first act in an unfolding inter-gallactic drama.

Conclusion #2: Aldin is wrong. The ending revelation (and I'll not reveal it for those who don't know) was a surprise on the level of Bruce Willis's discovery, in the Sixth Sense, that he was dead the whole movie (sorry for those of you who haven't seen that movie, but it's been out many years now, you should know about this). The ending satisfies anyone with a pulse. Which leads me to my last conclusion...

Conclusion #3: Aldin is a zombie. Your cover is blown, my friend.

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Brains!

~Aldin, gnawingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Brains!

~Aldin, gnawingly
Aldin's wedding cake?

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandars_Hope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
I was never hit but the Harry Potter craze and when I borrowed the first book from a friend I wasn't bothered one way or the other. I tried to read the second book but couldn't make it past the first chapter. It just bored me to tears and I didn't feel the magic.
That is almost exactly my experience. We saw the movies and my wife read the books. I decided to read them and couldn't get past the beginning of the second book. I think I got as far as them getting to school, but then something came up that was more important than reading them. When I had the time to read it again, I just didn't care. I thought the first movie was better than the book, and I wasn't that crazy about the movie. I still think the third movie is the best of the series, and that is mostly because it has the least Voldemort.
Old May 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!

Ennervate! (if you don't know what that does, READ THE BOOKS!) I absolutely love the books. They all have something new/different in them. The one problem I see is that the first book is a little bland compared to the rest, but it is still an enjoyable read. Also, the beginnings of the second and sixth books are kind of boring, especially the sixth book's (I actually just skipped the whole first chapter after reading a few pages the first time I read it.)

Book 1: HP and The Sorcerer's stone (Philosopher's stone for you Europeans)
first book, I found it interesting, although it goes by very quickly. fun fact: they only tell you the words for 3 spells in the whole book (vs 27+ in the 4th)

Book 2: HP and The Chamber of Secrets: Begins kind of boring, but action/ mystery starts soon after that.

Book 3: HP and The Prisoner of Azkaban: Very exciting all the way through, and huge climax at the end, although there is not really a big physical fight between 'good' and 'evil'.

Book 4: HP and The Goblet of Fire: First really big book (twice the size of the 1,2 or 3rd books). Starts out very interesting, then skyrockets, then kind of goes on a roller coaster in terms of how much action, until at the very end there is the 2nd biggest climax in the series.

Book 5: HP an The Order of The Phoenix: Longest book of the series (I believe). Has the probably most hated character in the series (topping even Voldemort in my mind). Has the 3rd highest climax at the very end.

Book 6: HP and The Half-Blood Prince: Starts out extremely boring, but only for the first chapter. There is a new teacher, and Snape becomes much happier because of that. Dumbledore confides in Harry what keeps Voldemort 'alive', and at the end comes one of the saddest moments in the book.

Book 7: HP and The Deathly Hallows: Final book in the series. It wraps the whole story up well, and comes down to a descision by Harry that allows the rest of the Wizarding world to come closer to defeating Voldemort .

In my opinion the only bad movie is the 6th one. It leaves out the best parts, and if I remember right, even adds some things that are not even close to what is in the books.

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books