Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old November 12th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I know the question I always ask of unique squads is:

Is there a good reason this squad is unique?
Is there a good reason this squad is not one hero?

I think this is a reason unique squads are rare.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old November 12th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I'm not really looking for realism in my Heroscape, and I've seen dwarf-tossing used in enough fantasy (video games and such) to not be thrown off by the theme. That said, looking at it again, the fact that it's a space-by-space movement is kind of odd. It does neatly model some theme, like not being able to throw up levels very high, but it makes new ones, like it being impossible to throw over 1-hex-wide lava. Mostly, though, it just doesn't feel like a throw power, which I would expect to be modeled after Stealth Leap.

I'm also not fond of having a squad of two named figures. It's not wrong, per se, but it goes against the grain, and not necessarily, I don't think. Two Heroes that bond with each other would be ok.

I don't think the unit is costed poorly or has rules problems, but these dislikes lead me to vote

to review Shatterhead & Greymace

Last edited by Scytale; November 15th, 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old November 12th, 2019, 04:23 PM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

I changed regularly in a short space of time because the designs didn't work after testing. Also to get reassurance that people like the basic ideas. However it seems people don't like it so I unsubmit Shatterhead & Graymace.

Long live heroscape
Old November 12th, 2019, 04:31 PM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
A squad as a couple of named fellows is a fun idea
Quote:
I'm also not fond of having a squad of two named figures.

Long live heroscape
Old November 12th, 2019, 04:55 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
Quote:
A squad as a couple of named fellows is a fun idea
Quote:
I'm also not fond of having a squad of two named figures.
There's a difference between a fun custom and one for canon. I think it's fun, but I don't really like it as something official. I would have ok'ed it, though, except I came to see that the Fling power was thematically odd too.
Old November 12th, 2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I changed regularly in a short space of time because the designs didn't work after testing.
That's good; reworking a unit is important. But it does feel odd to see a unit change as much as it did and then appear here a couple of days later. It's not impossible that you ran dozens of tests in various environments against various opponents on various maps in various builds, but that takes weeks or months for most of us.

Quote:
Also to get reassurance that people like the basic ideas.
To be fair, few Judges have piped in so far since the submission.

Quote:
However it seems people don't like it so I unsubmit Shatterhead & Graymace.
Shatterhead & Graymace have been removed at the submitter's request.
Old November 12th, 2019, 06:19 PM

Swaysil by @Maklar the Silver Prince

This version of Swaysil isn't all that different from its prior incarnation. The first change is dropping "of the Northlands" from the name. I was kind of fond of the extended name as it came off as different than other units, but it's loss isn't bothersome.

The second change is increasing the target roll of Run Down from 9 to 13. It's been a while since I last looked at Swaysil, but I well remember how powerful she felt with a consistent Run Down plus Point Blank Shot. This change has exactly the desired effect: while Run Down used to be fairly consistent, it is now a significant gamble. It's now a tactical choice point for both sides: for the opponent, it can be worth trying to bait the Swaysil player into going for a multi-kill, and it may be worth it for the Swaysil player to go for it.

The points I made in my prior review are still valid, including Swaysil's power level. I have never before seen a unit so perfectly crafted for the cleanup role. Early game she can take some potshots and slam into the enemy suicidally, but that gives up a lot of board control. Mid-game she can be used as a suicidal assassin, but without notable synergy it has to be timed very carefully, and if you pull it off you usually just get one solid attack before she's brought down. She is almost always unfulfilling if used early- or mid-game.

But in cleanup the Centaur is a monster. Her big weakness is getting tied down; her offensive potential plummets and her Life bleeds away quickly. In cleanup, however, her high speed plus serviceable range allows her to kite with the best of them, and her offensive powers allow her to charge in and wreck scattered figures with ease. Archer is a fitting class, but I found myself wishing it was Hunter, because that's exactly what she feels like.

Is she still too strong? She's scary for the points, but I don't think she's overpowered. The nerf to Run Down makes a big gameplay difference. While she is one of the best there is at cleanup, she really can't do anything else adequately. This time I think she's a fun, competitive choice.

I vote Yea to induct Swaysil into the SoV.

Last edited by Scytale; May 28th, 2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old November 14th, 2019, 04:08 PM

Olog and Kate Crawford have both passed United Fanscape review and move forward in the process.
Old November 18th, 2019, 02:02 AM

dukeadam is surprisingly tart

Hello, I am just getting into Heroscape, I have a ton of Bones and D&D minis that I would love to use playing with my son. I found SoV and C3V cards and they are great. However, I also found Bangerang's customs on his blog and he has made quite a few Reaper Bones units that seem great. However, they were not SoV/C3V approved so my concern is that they wouldn't be as well balanced as SoV units. I saw some Bangerang's posts here but I noticed he has been banned for some reason. However my understanding is that he once and applied some units for SoV but later "took them away".

Therefore, my question is this: which units from his blog can you recommend (classic heroscape)? Are there any there that have "almost been approved"?

Thank you for your answer
Old November 18th, 2019, 02:43 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

@dukeadam --Welcome to the site!

You can play with whatever customs you want, no problem. Qt.Bangerang had differences of opinion with some of the customs staff at the time, more than six years ago. He puts in a lot of work on his units, even if they're not listed here.

His Ninja leader, Kantono Daishi, was removed and later resubmitted--there's a link to its card in the second post of this thread. I haven't kept up with all his work, though; try out what you like from his page. He submitted a few others here, they're listed just below the approved units--they may not be the most current iterations.
Old November 18th, 2019, 03:56 AM

dukeadam is surprisingly tart

Thanks, but do you think his customs were playtested? I don't have much experience with Heroscape,so it's hard for me to assess unit's strengths and weaknesses at first glance I just don't know how to differentiate balanced customs from any others, that's why c3v and SoV format is so great for people like me.
Old November 18th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeadam View Post
Thanks, but do you think his customs were playtested? I don't have much experience with Heroscape,so it's hard for me to assess unit's strengths and weaknesses at first glance I just don't know how to differentiate balanced customs from any others, that's why c3v and SoV format is so great for people like me.
The best advice I can give is get use to playing classic sov, c3v, and it is worth mentioning scytale customs. Those are all really well balanced and the ranks can give you an idea where they fall.

After a while you get an eye for what's balanced and what isn't. Also I've found most people who puts a ton of effort in to designing with the specific purpose of mixing with canon are normally on point.

being of by 10 to 20 points on a unique hero is normally not game breaking in a home game either. The only real risk is playing lots of cheap squads or common heroes where the points really start adding up or running multiple undrrcosted heroes especially playing huge games.

However you want to keep an eye out for broken powers that either cause infinite turns, make units indestructible to others units (think +2 auto sheilds), can auto kill too easily (like auto wound on DK9000) or are just not fun. Normally experience helps you spot these after reading the card once or twice.

finally designers often baby their customers. if a card seem too good it is often broken, if it looks balanced it is likely too good and if it looks a little weak and could use one more defense it is likely just right. I see way more undercosted units than overcoats.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs