Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old May 21st, 2021, 08:59 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Interactive Terrain Brainstorming thread

Thanks Grish. Was just about to post how awesome your map was and flocked to boot.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 12:18 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Hey everyone. I popped in here today to look at something else and noticed your thread. Sounds like a worthy topic to advance 'Scape. And one that (over the many years I was active here) I personally tried to achieve in the creation of all of my custom terrain for this game. Of course my main goal was similar to yours, to maintain a high level of quality, esthetics, and playability and I'm glad to see this group wishing to do the same. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with!

However, I couldn't help but notice the title of your thread. "Interactive terrain". Lol. A term I tried to advance in this game years ago when I created my superhero rules (even though I specifically called them ITFs: "Interactive Terrain Features"). Back then I did get some push back from the community on the use of that term, so it's actually refreshing to see a custom terrain group wanting to use the same terminology! But, with that said, the first thing I think you should do is settle on the actual terms you intend to use for what you intend to create.

So, and please forgive me here, but I would like to point out that "Interactive Terrain" should actually mean terrain that you can "Interact" with (pick up, throw, set down, activate, etc). Otherwise the terrain just sets there, only to be climbed on or block line of sight. In a sense they're just "Objects", like the castle wall. Other than climb on it you really can't interact with it.

Regardless, if I might help in some small way, I'll include the terminology that I've used in all of my fan made systems of terrain over the years. Feel free to adopt this, or something similar.

My Terrain Terminology and Notes:
To start with here’s my terminology as it pertains to my terrain features on the battlefield.
• I identify 4 types of terrain on the battlefield:

1. Terrain Tiles (or just Tiles)
These are the actual tiles that you build the battlefield out of (grass, rock, sand, water, ice, snow, road, lava, lava field, etc.). At the moment I do not have any specific rules regarding these types of tiles other than the normal Heroscape rules associated with those tiles.

2. Objects
These are basically Non-Destructible Objects. They are placed onto the battlefield, but you cannot interact with them, nor destroy them.Some examples would be buildings, trees, large rocks, castle walls, bridges, etc.

3. Interactive Terrain Features (ITFs)
ITFs are terrain that is placed on the battlefield that you can use, or interact with. You can pick up these items and carry them, or use them as weapons. These items are such things as cars, street signs, computer consoles, train cars, equipment "glyphs", etc. (In my system of Interactive Terrain Features they all fit neatly into 1 of 5 categories, or Classes. If you're interested I posted some abbreviated rules recently on my Custom Terrain Thread).

4. Destructible Objects (DOs)
There are only two Destructible Objects (or DOs) associated with the official game, the castle door and the wall section of the ruined warehouse. However, the framework surrounding both of these “destructible parts” (the door and the wall section) are just static “Objects”. I currently do not have any specific rules regarding this type of terrain other than the normal Heroscape rules for them. My group always felt that DOs were way too limiting in what you can actually "do" with them, which is to just destroy them and remove them from play. Why they're called Destructible Objects honestly. Unless they are part of a very specific scenario objective (like destroy mole man's underground earthquake beam before it destroys New York) I do not use Destructible Objects.

So, that's what I do. Keeping it simple is very much in line with what Heroscape tried to do with their terrain and terminology. Do what you want of course, invent your own terminology if you think it's necessary.

One last thing. If you attempt to create square objects on the hex battlefield you will have to deal with half hexes as the line on two sides will go against the hex grain. Otherwise you will have to have zig zagging structures (like the castle wall). If you do wind up creating terrain that does this you'd be more than welcome to use my rules on half hexes. They've been throughly play tested over the years and work extremely well. Just credit me if you don't mind!

I'll probably check in now and then to see your progress on this. I just hope I've helped in some small way, especially since I've been working on stuff like this for such a long time. Perhaps I've given you food for thought as you move forward! Looking forward to what some fresh faces can do.
It’s great to see you pop in here. You are the one that inspired me to start building terrain long ago. Interactive terrain was just the place holder title for the thread but I 100% agree with your categorizing and wanted to divide them up similarly if not spot on. You have put more thought into that area I’m sure. With 3D printing it should help loads of people get into this. Thanks for all the input.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 23rd, 2021, 02:02 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
My Terrain Terminology and Notes:
I 100% agree with your categorizing and wanted to divide them up similarly if not spot on.
Yeah, sounds pretty good to me too.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old May 23rd, 2021, 11:46 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Absolutely! I gave your thread a long read and think it’s a good example of mechanics framework (specifically thinking of the Marvel objects here). And that thread inspired me in some of my first terrain work a decade ago with paper craft and other items.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 03:21 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Those categories look specific and great for us to use.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 03:44 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

If there is a general consensus for the categories that @Grishnakh presented, I would say they are well enough put that we could use them as is for the guidelines of different styles of terrain we make for sure. A simple copy/paste to the welcome to the Engineers of Valhalla thread when made will suffice. Whomever creates the thread make sure to credit and thank Grish for the contribution. Also, Grish, if anyone was ever welcome to be a part of a Heroscape terrain project in any capacity, it would be you. So if you would like to be tagged when stuff comes up or be a member of the group, you are certainly welcome. After I finish up a few things around my place I’ll see to getting a group logo created and we shall get started making our different threads to get started on our terrain engineering.

Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:35 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Thanks guys. I'll definitely pop in here once in a while to see what all of you have been creating! I'm just recently started getting back into 'Scape after a long absence and have been redoing and updating all of my superhero cards for my own personal use. As for terrain feel free to tag me whenever you'd like and I'll offer what meager advice I might be able to give. As I said before I'm looking forward to what a bunch of fresh minds will come up with when it comes to terrain creation!
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:45 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree with others that the four categories works very well. Grish, your thread was quite the inspiration for when when I started heroscape 3 years ago. Thanks for everything you have contributed to the game!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old May 23rd, 2021, 10:56 PM
"like" happy

Hey guys, just finished up a pretty fun Logo in photoshop. Hope you guys like it. Here's a link to our welcome thread.
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...90&postcount=1

@S1R_ART0R1US or @lefton4ya If one of you would like to commandeer a thread for the ERB, to give an outline of our processes as you two previously discussed above, that would be sweet. Feel free to use my logo to head your threads if you like. Please list all the members and contributors in the OP. I'll be changing this thread to the Engineers of Valhalla Discussion Thread. We will add other threads later as we expand our movement. Thanks guys. This should be fun.

Old May 24th, 2021, 02:01 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!
Re: Engineers of Valhalla Brainstorming Thread

I'm not sure which of the threads this should go in, but I don't want to clutter your new one without understanding the structure so I'll post this discussion topic here for now.

It's always good to nail down terminology sooner rather than later, so in the same vein as Grish sharing with us the work he's done on that front, I'd like to bring up the fact that there's already one class of "semi-canonical" terrain that needs a disambiguating terminology adjustment: the plastic tiles in the Arena of the Planeswalkers games.

AotP calls this terrain "sand," but it's visually different from official Heroscape Sand and thus should have its own name when used in 'Scape.

Fortunately there's already a precedent for this kind of thing. Most of the tiles in HS are named for their material, but a few are named for their function or environment. For example, initially there were generic Rock tiles (material) and then later we got other tiles that were likely or inclusively also based on rock/stone as their material, but that got named for their function or environment: Road, Wall Walk, Dungeon. These functional names also allow some interpretive latitude on the actual material: is a wall walk just stone, or cobblestones and mortar? is the dungeon floor rock, or compacted dirt?

With this in mind, for some time now I've been calling my tan AotP tiles Desert. The color fits well enough, and certainly there's a strong association between the terms desert and sand. But of course "desert" is also a broader term than just sand, encompassing any barren, hostile environment with very little precipitation. There are sand deserts, dirt deserts, even polar deserts. I quite like this term since the tile color works for both Sahara-type and American-Southwest-type deserts. In fact I've been working on a Southwest-type desert terrain expansion for some time, and I assume the EoV will at some point want to develop something similar, for more fun with the growing number of Lawmen and Outlaws in classic and VC.

Thus I propose that the EoV consider adopting "Desert" as our working label for AotP tiles imported into Heroscape.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old May 24th, 2021, 02:58 PM
"like" happy

I don’t mind either way on the naming of these AOTP tiles. I’d be more interested if they had some additional function if any on the battlefield. For the most part, I would want to concentrate on terrain that does something new or fun for battlefield mechanics.

Old May 24th, 2021, 03:54 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I always liked the idea of making them quicksand.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles