Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old June 9th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Bigga Battle Chronicles

Utah Monthly - May 2018 - General Wars 525

Both of the Ant squads that VC has put out have always intrigued me, so a couple months ago I went and bought a bag of the Xualtica Fire Ants from Amazon, landing a total of 192 ants (no idea why they couldn’t just go up to an even 200, but oh well). More than I needed for myself, of course, but I figured that I could keep six squads for myself and then have 42 squads left over to use as prizes at our Monthlies (4 or 5 squads at a time — I feel like it would be nice for players to be able to leave with half of a new army). So I picked 24 of the most unique Ants that connected with me personally, and created my Ant family (being Ringo, John, Paul, George, Antony, Bryant, Jordant, sAnta, Timothy, Edward, Dimitri, Wallace, Julianne, Heather, Shoshauna, Jill, Stephanie, Heather, Jackie, Sharon, Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo). Then, when I saw the point limit for this format, I had to use them since the army fit perfectly:

BiggaBullfrog’s Army:
Xualtica Fire Ants x6 55 (330)
Quahon 190
Total: 520 Points/25 Figures (Drop one ant)

Boy oh boy was I ready for some stinging/swarming map control action. Although, in a game I played with the Ants before the tourney (against True’s Arrow Grut army), I tried stinging everything I could and felt that it wasn’t working well enough. So I did some research and looked up AliasQTip’s Dice Probability Chart. Turns out, often attacks of 2 are going to have as good or better odds of inflicting a wound on a figure (when that figure has 3 or 4 defense), so I printed off a copy to use during my games. Basically in gameplay that meant that I would usually make normal attacks with my Ants until I was engaged with at least 5, preferably 6 different enemy figures, at which I would start rolling for stinging damage. High defense figures changed things, of course, and Heroes I would almost always normally attack (especially with height) unless they were almost completely surrounded (as you’re more likely to get multiple sounds off of attacks than rolling a D20 where if you miss the first roll, you’re done for the turn).

Basically, there were a lot of decision points with this army, and I loved it.

Game 1
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2
Spoiler Alert!

Game 3
Spoiler Alert!

Game 4
Spoiler Alert!

Great fun tournament! Xualtica Fire Ants come highly recommended as a fun (and surprisingly powerful) army to run.

In other news, after updating my tournament lists (I keep track of the Utah meta, what units have been played, as well as my own tournament lists of units played and win/loss record) I realized that, with this tournament, I have played 100 tournament games (in 23 tournaments), which is pretty neat! (Or at least I think it is.) So, for those who want to indulge in myself with me, I’m posting here some snapshot statistics for funzies (and so I can come back and look at where I was).

Probably most interesting to people is my win/loss record, which is 69/31. That means I have a 69% win rate. I have a soft goal of bumping that up to 75%, as that’s where I’d ideally like to be, but 69% isn’t half bad (in fact, it’s only 31% bad). (EDIT - Forgot to mention probably the other most interesting thing here: I've played in 23 tournaments and won 3 of them, a significantly lower statistic than my overall win rate.)

This goal does take a back seat to my goal of seeing every unit in both Classic and VC played at a Utah Monthly, though, which may affect my win rate (Groks only do so well, but I enjoy the challenge of that goal more than the winning one). This year I have played at least one unplayed figure in each army, and still have some units from last year that I’m the only one to have played (Ashigaru/Kato probably being my favorites from last year). I’ll keep playing unplayed units until they’ve all seen play at a Monthly.

Speaking of units that I’ve played, I have a running list of those in addition to the one I keep for the Utah Monthlies as a whole. The numbers work like this: Number of armies/Unit/Total amount played (for commons/uncommons). So 3 Warforged (x8 ) means I’ve played Warforged in 3 armies, with 8 squads played total (in this case, two armies with three squads and one with two).
Spoiler Alert!

Most of the individual army lists can be found in my battle reports, with the exceptions of Utah NHSD 2014 where I played Grimnak, Nerak, Heavies x3, Syvarris, and Eldgrim (going 2-2), and the Goblin Throw Down 2016 in Idaho where I ran Venoc Warlord, Venoc Vipers x5, and Q9 (going 2-1).

All in all, it’s been a gas, and I’m super lucky to live where Heroscape is played so much, and with such a variety of people (I regularly get to play against new players as well as experienced ones). Here’s looking forward to the next 100 games! (In a tournament. Including playtesting, I’d hit that pretty quickly … )

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; September 13th, 2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old June 9th, 2018, 03:11 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Bigga Battle Chronicles - 100 Tournament Games Played!

*coughs* n-nice.
Old June 9th, 2018, 07:54 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Bigga Battle Chronicles - 100 Tournament Games Played!

Well met!

Impressive.

Old September 17th, 2018, 12:29 PM

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Long time no update! I’ve been sitting on this June Monthly report for a while because, well, the games frankly weren’t super exciting and I didn’t have much motivation to write about them, except for one. I ran a campy army which resulted in pretty stale games, unfortunately, so there’s not much to say about most of them.

Utah Monthly - June 2018 - Hordes 500

I’ll be honest, I’m not a huge fan of horde games, especially in a tournament setting. Once in a while with friends is okay, but trying to kill so many figures four times in a day is more of a grind than I like (although, to be fair, less than half of the armies tend to be actual hordes). So, when thinking of an army to play, I decided to go for something that was a little less conventional and hopefully would help me kill hordes well enough, as well as be good against horde killer armies.

BiggaBullfrog’s Army:
Taelord 180
Microcorp Troopers x4 80 (320)
Total: 500 Points/16 Figures

Microcorp Troopers are really good, especially with Raelin, so I wanted to see if using Taelord would be comparably as good. I also really liked the image of just unleashing lead on a bunch of swarming enemies, which actually got me excited to take on some hordes. (Unfortunately, as I mentioned, it wasn’t as exciting as I wanted.)

Game 1
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2
Spoiler Alert!

Game 3
Spoiler Alert!

Game 4
Spoiler Alert!

Sorry for the less exciting games; they unfortunately weren't great for me or my opponents. I'm working on the next report now, though, which was random team wildness, so hopefully that will make up for it.

10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:40 PM

Don't you hate it when you write out a report for your games, then find out it somehow got deleted? Anyway, about that report I mentioned a month ago:

Utah Monthly - August 2018 - Rotating Teams 350

I had a really good time coming up with armies for this tourney. It was an odd point total/figure limit for a Utah Monthly, but I enjoyed the fresh challenge. I ended up with eight or so viable army options to decide from. I eventually was able to halve that number, then had the difficult task of deciding between those four. I really wanted to run them all, so for funzies, the runner ups were: Azurite Warlord, Armoc Vipers x3 (drop one) (also foreshadowing); Nilfheim, Greenscales x2, Patrick Ferguson; and J15, Hoplitrons x4, Tyrian. The overall strongest army I tested was by far the Hoplitron build (Hops are solid against a lot of stuff and immune to Braxas, and J15 would have plenty of large/huge targets in this format), the strongest variant being Airborne Elite instead of Tyrian, but I wasn’t convinced of how well it would work with other random teammates, since it requires a bit more patience to run with. In the end, I went with a midrange army I felt would work well with any other army:

BiggaBullfrog’s Army:
Deathcommander Mark 3 130
Warden 816 90
Zettian Infantry x2 65 (130)
Total: 350 Points/8 Figures

This army also tested really well for me in my pre-tourney games. Deathcommander’s Explosive Rounds SA works really well, and when fighting against two players it gets good mileage. The firepower of the Zettian Infantry isn’t great, but the range I felt would help with flexibility, giving me some map control and support in areas where my heroes weren’t.

Game 1
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2
Spoiler Alert!

Game 3
Spoiler Alert!

Game 4
Spoiler Alert!

10 Points Under Videos

Old October 15th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Flash_19 really wanted that Warden, though, and while picking off my Infantry slowly made his way forward, encouraging the Mezzos to kill Infantry as well. After a couple of turns they had enough room to run forward and the Varks speared Warden, who also died in one attack. A couple more attacks on my Infantry and I was out of the game.
I really did want Warden.

I enjoy reading your reports! Thanks for putting all the effort in to write them up!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 16th, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Flash_19 really wanted that Warden, though, and while picking off my Infantry slowly made his way forward, encouraging the Mezzos to kill Infantry as well. After a couple of turns they had enough room to run forward and the Varks speared Warden, who also died in one attack. A couple more attacks on my Infantry and I was out of the game.

I enjoy reading your reports! Thanks for putting all the effort in to write them up!
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the kind words! I can't wait for you to make it to another Monthly so I get my chance at redemption!

10 Points Under Videos

Old October 17th, 2018, 04:48 PM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the kind words! I can't wait for you to make it to another Monthly so I get my chance at redemption!
For sure. So I was thinking, I don't think I've ever played a 1v1 game against you - it's always been teams, right?

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 17th, 2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For sure. So I was thinking, I don't think I've ever played a 1v1 game against you - it's always been teams, right?
You know, I think you're right. And I think it's only been the two team games. That's actually really weird, you may be the regular at the monthlies I've played the least. That also would mean I've got a 100% loss rate to you, so maybe it's okay that we don't get matched up.

Nah, I need to get stronger so I can beat those I usually lose to, so I guess that means you and Scaperedude are on the top of my list! Next time I'll come at you 100%!

10 Points Under Videos

Old October 17th, 2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You know, I think you're right. And I think it's only been the two team games. That's actually really weird, you may be the regular at the monthlies I've played the least. That also would mean I've got a 100% loss rate to you, so maybe it's okay that we don't get matched up.

Nah, I need to get stronger so I can beat those I usually lose to, so I guess that means you and Scaperedude are on the top of my list! Next time I'll come at you 100%!
Scaperedude may have just taught me his secrets before he left so that I could carry on in his stead.... I will neither confirm nor deny anything.

Ha ha looking forward to it!

Old October 19th, 2018, 05:30 PM

Utah Monthly - September 2018 - Dungeon Defenders 540

This format came from @TREX , who adapted the video game to Heroscape with some awesome 3D printed crystals. Each player had one of these crystals:

You won the game by destroying your opponent’s crystal, or by destroying all of their figures as usual. The format was super fun and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to spice up their games! (You can proxy crystals with anything — rock outcrops work well.)

Army building for this format was fun, and I had a few armies I kept bouncing between. Zombies x6 and Zombie Hulk x3 was a cool thematic one, and Knights of Blackgaard x3 and Vulcanmech Incendiborgs was another one I was really interested in (Knights of Blackgaard are one of my favorite C3V units). However, in a mini tournament that we did with TREX (who couldn’t make the game day) I realized both of those armies were way too defensive for the format, and while I would probably do well with them in a usual tourney, they didn’t do as well when it came to racing to kill a crystal. So I started thinking about Quahon, Sujoah, Spiders x4 and Mok, Axegrinders x4, Patrick Ferguson, but in the end I went with something even more offensive.

BiggaBullfrog’s Army:
Azurite Warlord 145
Zogross Hardscale 120
Armoc Vipers x4 65 (260)
Total: 525 Points/14 Figures

Azurite Warlord is boss at taking out specific targets, Armocs are great for board control, and with Zogross I felt I could play defense for a bit if needed before going in for the kill. I was a bit worried because my overall strategy would be a lot more aggressive than I usually play, but figured if other people were going for crystal-killing strategies then I’d at least be able to match them pretty well, and could be more careful in a defensive matchup if needed.

After a couple of games into the tourney I realized I had room for Isamu but didn’t include him. Oh well.

Game 1
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2
Spoiler Alert!

Game 3
Spoiler Alert!

Game 4
Spoiler Alert!

10 Points Under Videos

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; October 27th, 2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old October 19th, 2018, 06:32 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One of @Sir Heroscape 's latest videos showcased this scenario. It looks like a really interesting game format. We will definitely be trying it out. Thanks for sharing!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports