Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM

mcrow has disabled reputation
A couple of armies (my first ones)

Here's my first crack at an army. Keep in mind that I basically have access to master set 1 & 2, 3 packs of Zombies, 1 Shades & Orcs, & Orm's Return.

Zombies:
Zombies x5 =240pts
Deathwalker 8000=130
Raelin (marro)= 120

Us the Deathwalker to keep ranged units from picking off my zombies and running and repeating. Raelin gives the zombies 4 defense dice and can be brought into the melee if needed for some heavy artillary.

Zombies, travel in 6 packs with 3 in reserve. Engage tougher figs with the zombies special attack.

Marro:

Marro Warrior=50
Marro Stingersx2=120
Marrden Nagrubsx2=60
Ne-Gok-Sa=90
Su-Bak-Na= 160
Zombies=60

Basically I'll use the stingers pumped by Su-Bak-Na for my ranged, Warriors & Zombies for main melee. Warriors and Zombies would be used to tie up stronger units. Nagrubs mostly there to help keep Su-Bak-Na alive.

Are these armies any good?
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Love the avatar, mcrow! The second army looks like a lot of fun. At the risk of breaking the theme, I'd be tempted to switch the Izumi Samurai in for the squad of zombies. That strengthens your melee screen and boosts speed as well.

I'm no expert with Zombies, but I kinda like the first army as well. DW8k and Raelin are both priority targets in many games, but an opponent who ignores the Zombie threat will pay for it in the end.

~Aldin, on a dark and stormy night

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Love the avatar, mcrow! The second army looks like a lot of fun. At the risk of breaking the theme, I'd be tempted to switch the Izumi Samurai in for the squad of zombies. That strengthens your melee screen and boosts speed as well.
Yup, I had thought of that as well. Maybe i'll have to playtest them both an see.

Quote:
I'm no expert with Zombies, but I kinda like the first army as well. DW8k and Raelin are both priority targets in many games, but an opponent who ignores the Zombie threat will pay for it in the end.

~Aldin, on a dark and stormy nigh t
Well the idea would be to tangle up the big threats with the zombies, pump their defense with Raelin making them tought to kill and if they do die hopefully I'll be able to bring them back. DW8K, is just there to combat ranged units. The key will be getting the zombies locked up on the right units, they should be good at tying up and screening my two larger figs.
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
I have a couple alterations you could try.

For the Zombies army: you could try switching out DW 8000 for Eldgrim the Viking champion and Krav Maga. That would give you a guranteed glyph on your first turn to help boost your zombies in some way and if he is killed you can permanently boost the speed of either Realin or the Krav (move 7 ) I only suggest this because I've had a bad play record with DW 8000 and if your opponent gets in one lucky shot you have no more range whereas if you have the Krav, you get three shots per activation and with raelin and height they would have a defense of 5 each with stealth dodge (potentially harder to kill than the DW)

For the Marro army: I'd recommend just switching out the one squad of zombies for another squad of Stingers. (less order markers to choose from and the stingers can hold their own in a melee fight, especially if you have Su-Bak-Na to boost their D20 roll for attack power)

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I haven't looked at anything in depth, but the Zombie army is 50 points over the limit of 500 points because 5 Zombies would be 300 points, not 240.
And I agree with Zealot for replacing the Zombies with another Marro Stinger squad.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
I haven't looked at anything in depth, but the Zombie army is 50 points over the limit of 500 points because 5 Zombies would be 300 points, not 240.
And I agree with Zealot for replacing the Zombies with another Marro Stinger squad.
Sorry, this is based on 550 points not 500.
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
mcrow,

I personally didn't see this army in action, but at the Texas Tournament back in October, Azh(sp?) fielded 2 x Shades and the rest zombies (5 squads) and went 4-1 for the day. I don't know what his strategy was, but apparently he was effective with them. Enough so to take 2nd place.

The key for the zombies I think would be to use the shades to surround, and soul devour if you get the rolls. Your opponent risks leaving engagement attacks if they leave, so they stay and your zombies surround and zombie onslaught occurs.

I've always wanted to try the zombie army, but their slow movement bothers me. Perhaps the shades are used to engage the opponents ranged units while the zombies move up...

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
Don't underestimate the Zombies slow move.

I was playing my brother and he had 600 points of Zombies

I went for Zombie killers, Q9, Q10, Deathwalker 9 and 8, and lost...

Twice....

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM

OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker
Yes, never underestimate the zombie armies, especially if the zombie army gets control of a Move +2 glyph. Though, i'm not sure of the point of DW8k in your first army. He's a squad mower, and you have more than enough zombies to handle them. I would trade DW and Raelin for Old raelin, Syvarris, and Isamu . Er, not to be picky but x5 zombies=300 points.

For your marro army, trade those zombies for a more efficient less costing unit like the Ashra Warriors. Otherwise it's fine.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion